Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What `wow` coin have you seen at a coin show

At the last show I went to,I saw for the first time a mint state Large Cent.
Granted ,I,ve only been to about 5-6 shows in the past 4 or so years of actively collecting.
A red Large Cent may not be a big deal to alot of you, but it wowwed me to see that coin.

I missed the 13`V nickel that was at one show here recently.THAT woulda been a BIG ol WOW see.

Comments

• Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    I saw king of Siam proof set at ANA show. It was am amazing set.
    Also Cardinal Bust doller collection was displayed at the show and was very impressive.
    But as I was suffering from a severe jet lag at that time, I didn't scream WOW!...yawn insteadimageimage
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, let's not forget those wonderful 19th century proof sets on display at the Legend booth!

They were delicious...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    EVillageProwler
    Did they display proof set at ANA show? If so, I missed that set.
    I actually went to legend booth and bought a half dime and yet didn't notice they were displaying the set.
    My brain was half-dead...image
  • Options
    Cam,

Believe me, you didn't miss anything by not seeing the 1913 Liberty nickel. It's PR64 at best IMO and kinda dull. I saw it at the past year's ANA show in Atlanta and wasn't really impressed after being so excited to see it. The display at Bowers table with the three silver dollars, one a 1804, can't remember the other date, but the most amazing was an incredible AU 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar. That display and a MS68 * Washington with the most outrageous colors are what wowed me. Also saw a common date MS67 DMPL Morgan that was awesome too.
  • Options
    Yutako-san,

I believe that Legend displayed their early proof set as well as some others in the 1860's. I can't remember exactly because I was a little bit distracted by other matters at the time. Anyway, I'm certain I saw many lovely proofs at their table in two cases all the way on the right side of their booth.

EVP

• Options
    Yutako-san,

Regarding the Cardinal dollars, do you remember the 1794? It's an NGC MS64 specimen, and quite lovely. Can you believe that that specimen is NOT the finest known of that date? Have you seen the Leland Rogers specimen?

Nevertheless, the Cardinal dollars were superb. Gary Carlson and I had a fun time chatting about some of the choicer specimens... (One of the highlights of every show for me is to chat with Gary about Early Dollars!)

EVP

• Options
    EVP
    Yes, I remember that 1794 doller no matter how sleepy I was!!
    It was the first show to me and was a great experience that I could see so many nice coins at once!!
    Taro YUTOKUimageimage
  • Options
    Sorry, YUTOKU-san!

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call me biased, but I'd take the Amon Carter 1794 over the Rogers 1794 any day! (of course, if you twisted my arm just a little bit I'd be forced to settle for the Rogers coin)! image
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    1792 Half Disme pattern.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just this past sunday, in an NGC MS62 holder, 1820/19 bust half with the most intense bulls-eye toning. what a sweet lookin' coin!!image

al h.image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Im sorry to report only coins that made me say wow at ANA were Fred Wienbergs.

also that 1853 large cent in 65bn electric blue toning across front that someone bought between my 1st and second pass. image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    1852 3 cent piece complete brockrage (I know the spelling is not correct) it looked soo cool, and a mint state FE cent with the digit in the eagle's neck.
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    At the ANA, I believe it was U.S. Coins had an ultra high graded no motto proof set. It included an 1863 half in PR69. The price was $87,000 for this one piece alone!
  • Options
    TDN,

I had forgotten about the Carter specimen. Sweet. And, it would go well with your other Amon Carter dollars... But, it would also go well with *my* solitary Carter-pedigree dollar!

EVP

• Options
    1804 dollar - held in my hand.

1933 $20 gold

1913 nickel

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    A red Large Cent may not be a big deal to alot of you, but it wowwed me to see that coin.

Cam40, if you like large cents, you need to go to one of the EAC conventions. I saw unbelieveable mint state specimens. Someone had a display of mint state 1794 cents that was awesome. I am not sure, but I don't think they all belonged to one person. More a collabrative effort. Also, a fully struck up 1793 Wreath cent is one of our most, IMO, beautiful coins. Although I have never seen one like Jay Parrino had, or has, except on his old web site. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file