Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade opinions wanted - early stuff -modem users beware!

I would like the groups opinion on these coins. Sorry for the quality of some of the images but its all I have.

Fixed!

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coins.
    All look cleaned at one time except the buffalo and the slq.
    All but the slq look au to me.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I really don't know anything about them except for the pictures and that they are for sale. I am going to buy the Buff because I am betting its actually MS. I am just not sure about the others.

1913 Type2 buff $22
    1861 Half dime is $66
    1834 quarter $359
    1838 quarter $280
    1876-S quarter $135
    1918-S SLQ $160
  • Options
    The SLQ looks cleaned too!
  • Options
    How about these?
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Nice stuff here.Did you use MS70 to clean them?
    1)64
    2)58
    3)53
    4)53
    5)55
    6)66...it that a 8/7?
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Ah,Six more.Cool.
    Ok...
    1)55
    2)45
    3)55
    4)58
    5)45
    6)55

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a type coin is not slabbed (to me, if it isn't PCGS, NGC or ANACS, it's unslabbed), don't buy it. Another thing; if you are buying type, stick to either the highest grade you can afford or a key date (like a 1913 S Barber Qtr). Otherwise, you'll never get your $ out of the coin.
    An exception to this rule may be Morgans, as they are so widely collected.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Clackamas -- That Buff looks like a Type 1 to me (and nice for $22).
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    They all look whizzed, or polished. It could just be the photos, or the angle of the photos. Are the coins for sale from a dealer? Curious. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Yes all the coins are from the same dealer. I bought some Lincoln's from them in the past and they were OK. I went ahead and purchased the SLQ and the Buff but will probably take a pass on the others for now. On closer inspection, although hard to tell from the photo the SLQ very well may be an 8/7. I don't own any SLQ's but thought that I would check this one out. They have a return policy so I am safe.
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    These all seem to have a strange pebbly surface almost like the orange peel effect seen on some gold. The fields on buffalo looks almost pitted. Maybe its the lighting. Maybe its whizzing or some similar alteration.

I am weary of conis photographed at an angle like these. It shows luster but hides faults.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    That's what I was thinking CalGold, whizzed coins, they look pretty rough IMO

• Options
    You very well may be right but the dealer always photographs coins at this angle. Here is another pic of thiers on a coin that probably has not been whizzed. Anyway with the return policy I will get to tell when I get the coins that I did purchase.

I have a gut feeling on these that the orange peel look is a result of the photos. I agree that some/all were most likely cleaned at one point. All of the pictures they have show a similar effect. I am curious if a whizzing would tone the way some of the coins have. If you removed a layer of metal I think it could. For $182 (refundable) I got the SLQ and the Buff so I should have my scans later this week and this will give an indication as to the condition of the other coins.

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    More dipping went on here than at a Copenhagen convention. Snuff that is!!image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    clackamas is this a seller on Yahoo?
  • Options
    No these are not auction coins on Yahoo or Ebay AFAIK. They are posted on the dealers web site.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file