Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can YOU grade for PCGS?

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of you will remember the little grading thing we did a few weeks back with the 5 Morgans. Many liked the raw 1921 and thought it was a 65. Well it looks like the best its gonna muster at PCGS is a 63. image boo hoo hoo

Comments

• Options

<< <i> Can YOU grade for PCGS? >>

right now i have a cold and have been sneezing alot and with fumble fingers i'm always touching the surfaces and i am a conservative grader - you know, let me look at it twice before i get it right. so, the answer to the ??? is a resounding -YES!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    PCGS graders are Demi-Gods. There is no way we mere mortals can hope to ascend to the heights of near perfection that they have reached. And I am not just saying this because I am getting ready to send in some slabbed PCGS coins to try for an upgrade. Are you reading this PCGS graders? Of course you are, because you are aware of nearly everything. Oh by the way, did I mention that I am sending in some slabs for upgrade? Man what a bunch of great guys/gals those PCGS graders are. Mark image

Did I hear a vacuum in the background just now?image

Guess what, I finally did get off my butt today and submitted coins to PCGS and NCS (the conservation NOT CLEANING guys)imageimage
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Apropos what mdw said, I could never hope to grade for PCGS. But I used to grade for ACG. That was until I was fired for grading too conservatively (they said it would ruin their reputation, and "I wasn't cut out to be a coin grader"). Oh well.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    offshoot of the aforementioned question: would you WANT to grade for pcgs???
  • Options
    The question like stated above would you really want to.

PCGS hired a brilliant grader that is only 19 years old. He can grade with the best of them, but when asked at the ANA Summer Seminar how long it has been since he last read a coin magazine he said 5 months ago (hired six months ago). The other graders knew this would happen, and they were right. The hobby of coin collecting is looked upon as a job and not a hobby. The fun is gone.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I can grade coins just the same way I bowl. My scores range from 87 to 211, take your pick. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    >PCGS hired a brilliant grader that is only 19 years old. He can grade with the best of them,

Great! This is the guy who has been grading my copper Lincolns. He was probably born the year after they stopped making them and switched to Zinc. I am sure he has gone through thousands of Original copper rolls so has a superb understanding of the variances in copper color.
  • Options
    That view is skewed. Nobody would be able to grade coins prior to 1900 as most people weren't born then and hence can't grade them.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    No, that view is not skewed. Silver coins are still being produced to this day. Copper is not. Copper IMO is the hardest to grade because of the variance in colors in MS coins that you get. You can have fire engine red, dull brassy, purple rainbow, shinny yellow, striped brown (Early Lincoln S mint) and a host of other legit colors. PCGS will BB legit colors all day long (at least recently). The only way you can get a feel for legit vs. not is through experience and certainly getting coins in change is experience. Early S mint Lincoln's are the toughest and unless you have gone through original rolls of these you have no business grading them and actually charging money for the grading. If you were dad the coin dealer and ran into a roll of early BU Lincoln's you would probably go through them vs. letting your son.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    man, if you think copper is tough to grade (and it is), try grading mass silver. or cobs!
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I have to say no.I'd use the PCGS gradeing guide and they obviously don't.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but with caviats

only in my speciality areas andthen i take more time,,,,,,, lots of time with 20% of the coins and then i need many breaks and then i will not, follow any of the rules oR THE POLICIIES or what i am told to do

so i would never get hired

as it is a commerical thing a pricing thing a population thing not a grading thing and that is okie i think ythe services do a greart job oversall and i especially like the overall but not mutually exclusive tight grading currently

sincerely michael

also with backround retinopothy and old age i would ruin my eyes if i graded more than 1.5 hours a day

so i would NEVER TAKE THE JOB EVEN IF OFFERED to me at any price i wanted as i would not want to lose my sight! so now i guess not
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>3) If PCGS changes the grade on resubmission, which grade was correct? >>

The higher one.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    Russ - I thought Hires was a root beer drink? Bearimageimage
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    No. My last three submissions prove it. And I love beautiful copper!

perfectstrike
  • Options
    Perfectstrike - How do you know that it just wasn't a LUCKY STRIKE ?image BEAR
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I agree with you Laura. I sure wouldn't want the job of grading coins.
    That just has to be right up there with the job of putting those little stickers on fruit. Can you imagine doing that all day every day for the rest of your life?

Ray
  • Options
    I agree with Kiefer, Clackamas. It doesn't matter when you are born to determine what coins you can grade and which ones you are not as accurate with. I would be willing to bet that the new grader at PCGS has seen more nice copper coins over the past 6 months than you or I together in the last year. Either way, he could still be very accurate whether he was born 100 years ago or 20. There is no reason to not give respect to the new grader. He may be young, but he may be the best in the business to be honest with you.
    Just my thoughts...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file