Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

? on viewing coins

What is the best magnification to use in examining coins. What do PCGS graders use?

Comments

• Options
    PCGS graders generally do not use magnification. 15-20 seconds to look at your coin and grade it is all.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    coinrookie
    It has been said they don't use magnification unless there is question on autentication or extreme differences in grade opinions.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    For me its a 10x loupe.PCGS..."magnification?we dont need no stinkin magification!!!!` hehe
  • Options
    From everything I've read the general consensus is that a 5-7X loop is sufficient if you are going to use a loop. I use an 18Ximage so you no I never overgrade!!!!
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    I have found a 5x loupe to be sufficient to see the coin "up close and personal."

For double-dies, I often have to use 10X to avoid hallucinations.

Regardless of whether PCGS uses magnification or not, I have come to the conclusion that examining coins with a loupe is essential in determining whether it's worth it to submit a coin for grading.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file