Home U.S. Coin Forum

What kind of wire brush should I use to polish my 10 $ Proof Indian?

mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
I was just starting to feel a little too serious!!image
National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.

Comments

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

For gold coins I prefer a belt sander.
  • I've had good results with a high speed dremel and wire wheel attachment. Be sure to wear safety glasses...it really sucks when a piece of gold flies off and hits you in the eye!
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Don't you will scratch it. Use a blowtorch image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Sandblaster works for me!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes a hammer will be effective at removing grunge or grime.

It's hard to find but for that ground in dirt, nitric acid works every time. Just dip
    the coin in and remove when the bubbling starts to slow down. Clean, very clean.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I use the same toothbrush & baking soda that I use to scrub the smoke & coffee stains of my teeth.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally use a small suede shoe brush on my Proof Indians. It leaves such fine scratches that very few people can tell. You can find one Anywhere Hushpuppies are sold!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite tactic is taking a huge ball peen hammer and turning the beautiful Gold coin into a fistful of balled, lumped gold. I just love trying to use my own artistic talents to slowly try and reshape the coin the way it was. I usually beat on it till it has some semblance of a circle, then try to carve the original design back using my skilled numismatic eye.

Sadly, my work is as of yet unvalidated by the numismatic community and the major grading services, who (pretend) to be unable to identify the coin!image
    I did get one through ACG and have yet to sell itimage

Tyler
  • psxchellypsxchelly Posts: 568 ✭✭
    one word

D R E M E L

every coin collector should have at least 1 with all the attachments.

michelle
  • No need to buy a wire brush! I saw this trick on a Martha Stewart show once: Take a 1" X 4" board about 3 feet long, then drive about twenty 2" long nails completely trhough it on one end. It will make a "wire" brush stong enough to get even the toughest grime off, and it doubles as a pretty sturdy backscratcher, too!

-Dan
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Hey, these guys are not kidding about the drumel, try, just for kicks, to use a drummel with the wire brush on the newest Cent that you can find. Just pull it out of your pocket, the results are AMAZING!

Ray
  • lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Hey MDWoods and MichaelDixon,

could you kindly post pictures of your beautifully brushed Proof $10 Indians? I'd like to see them.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark,

Don't use a wire brush. Try just carrying it around as a pocket piece. That method seemed to have worked well for me!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Hey MDWoods and MichaelDixon,

could you kindly post pictures of your beautifully brushed Proof $10 Indians? I'd like to see them.

Not much to look at now I'm afraid. Kinda looks like a scratched up plancet. Guess I'll try EVPs advice on the next one and just use it as a pocket piece.image

That reminds me of something I posted in the thread "Post your bad advice here." I posted, "PCGS Proof-65 U.S. gold coins (pre-1934) make great "pocket pieces" after they are cracked out of the holder!"
    "Bad Advice" thread
    image"Darkside" gold
    That reminds me of something I posted in the thread "Post your bad advice here." I posted, "PCGS Proof-65 U.S. gold coins (pre-1934) make great "pocket pieces" after they are cracked out of the holder!"

Oh my God! I've done some of those things.

• Well, you could always drop them into a vat of clorox.

Once they start turning green, you know it's working.image

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any Proof $10 Indians but you can often catch me rolling my MS/AU set of coins down my driveway on the weekends. I believe coins should have exercise to keep them new and spiffy. image

jom
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I have a gold clad 1933 double eagle we can experiment with! image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Better give it the "tooth" test. What I like to do is simply see how many times the coin will bend before twisting apart. There are infinite shapes available--talk about artwork. Try it sometime!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    you could always submit your coin to a respectable grating service. here's a couple for ya

pcgs: professional coin grating surface

ngc: national grating contractors

acg: advanced coin grating

icg: intensive coin grating
  • I'm a newbie, but I still think I can answer you with one word.

AAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, coindaughter!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • RLinnRLinn Posts: 596
    I find an extra firm toothbrush and lots of that tooth whitiening gel you see in infomercials really does the trick on those old dark pennies from the early 1800's. You know...the ones that are about the size of a quarter. image
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • dimeadzndimeadzn Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Just smack those puppies into your liitle-jiffy rock tumbler. Tumble a week with the rough grit, 14 days with the medium and finish with a week of the polish grit. You'll have a smooth and shiny coin suitable for all your crafting and jewlery needs!

Hamsters oy! Why collect they the taco.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d say putting the coin on railroad tracks would kinder. It would put the poor devil out of its misery!
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Forget the wire brush.

I prefer an emery wheel and would suggest starting out
    with a #8 polishing compound for about 10 minutes.

Then I would finish it off with an aqua regia bath
    for about 24 hours. You will be surprised how
    quickly all the problems will disappear by the next day.

- Charlie B -
    "location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
    All these ideas look pretty good, but where is one to find the grinders and
    wheels and chemicals and such? If you lack all this here fancy newmizmatick
    accessories, just do like I do. Pop a hub cap off the old Ford and put it in there.
    After a few thousand miles of rolling around in the hubcap even the most stub-
    orun stains and dirt will come off.

And the slower you drive. the more bang you'll get for your buck.
    Tempus fugit.
    I think you are onto something Cladking. My car has them new fangled alyouminimum wheels. Mind if I send my coins to you? Of course I would send you a nice apology coin for the trouble.image

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I recommend a medium bristle toothbrush and anti tarter tooth paste for that nice bright look. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
    Hey there's no need to spend a lot of extra money if you have them thar fancy alyouminimum
    wheels. Just drill a hole in the coin and drag it behind the car on a chain. There is some risk
    beyond a broken chain though. I hear tell that if you get the hole too big it can affect the value!
    Tempus fugit.
  • cladking, should I use a 1/4 inch bit, or 5/8's? image

Robert
    You want fries with that?
    Has this $10 Indian been brushed well enough? Edited to show picture. image
    image"Darkside" gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file