Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's a fair price on this?

PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
Link

I was thinking of bidding but it might be out of my spending range right now.

Any guess as to how much it will sell for?

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea on the "fair price" but I most certainly like the coin! If I had a lot of money, I would definitely buy it at the starting price, maybe even $500. I love toned coins.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    If it's any help, this is the last price Heritage sold it for.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks, I guess I can forget about it then image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Me too! But I still would buy it IF I had the $2000.

.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    It's very interesting to be able and go back and forth between the Heritage pictures of the coin, and the pictures Anaconda uses of the coin. It's just interesting as a pure illustration of how different photography can make coins (especially heavily toned coins) look from one presentation to another. This is not a judgement on either Heritage or Anaconda. I do note certain seller's on eBay who specialize in toned coins, and certainly go to great lengths to present those coins with the color as vibrant as possible. This is not to say that the color is misrepresented. In different lighting, color will manifest itself in different ways. I find you kind of get used to the way a certain seller's pictures capture their coins and you begin to develop a feel for the way the coins would probably look sitting in front of you.
    Thank you guys for putting the links side by side here. I enjoy being able to compare things like that.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Clankeye - can you imagine what some of those commems that sold in the Heritage pre-ANA really looked like? Many of them looked great in the Heritage images, and believe me that's saying a lot. The deeper tones appear borderline black in their typical online format -- a subject I've griped about too many times.

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Yes, Shylock. If a dark toned coin looks good to me in a Heritage picture, I'm usually pretty confident that I would actually like it in person. Because, everything gets darker in their pictures from my experience.
    They sold a three coin 1946 PCGS65 BTW set in their last Bullet auction, that had some really dramatic toning. The last coin of the three was so dark in the pictures as to be hard to see. The set went for a tremendous premium. I bid on it, but was left behind at about the half way point. I have a feeling those coins were much more killer in person than the Heritage pictures. Would have loved to seen them.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file