Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are Barbers so expensive?

BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
Is it all the fine printing? I find that Bust halves are almost as affordable if not more.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many Bust halves were saved as bank reserves and transfers thereby leaving a large (relatively) pool of decent coins to collect whereas Barber halves and quarters are probably the most worn coins, on average, I have even seen. These coins were heavily used and apparently scarcely saved when issued.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tom!

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbers were created during a time of economic growth and were heavily used in day to day commerce, The halves in particular were used much more than the predecessors of the bust and seated series. Collectors at the time thought little of the design and they were not appreciated by the public to be saved or collected.

Secondly many of the bank holdings of barbers were cleaned out and spent during the depression of the thirties. Most (90-95%) are found as AG or G slicks. Some dates have less than 40 coins certified in MS!! We are talking about coins with mintages over 500,00.

1904-S Half
    1896-O Half
    1898-S Quarter to name a few.

That is why I love them so much, they are so damned hard to find above VG and original.

Tyler
  • Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    But God Almighty! The Liberty design of the Barber coinage makes Reich's capped bust Liberties look like beauty queens!!! image

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Barber dimes & quarters aren't too bad but Proof halves are cheaper than Mint State. Because there aint many around and the ones that are either show signs of dipping or are toned in the usual nasty Barber tone which is dark & ugly.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file