Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mordern Coins

Why do people collect these coins.

Lower cost?

Like the coins?

Why not collect rarer coins?

New to the hobby?

I just don't understand why people collect these type of coins, other than Mint & Proof sets or Commomeratives. I just though that anything made say after 1950 was pocket change. But I'm sure I'm wrong though.

Thanks,
BobbyD

Comments

• Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Why do you collect what you're interested in? The choice of what a collector specializes in is totally left up to the collector, for whatever reason. If you collect coins before 1950, fine. Don't discourage another collector just because they like more "modern" coins. I say that the study of any series, "modern", "classic" or otherwise has its charms and merits. As long as you enjoy yourself.
    J'har
  • Options
    araara Posts: 130
    J'har, well said! image
    aka trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    gold - the barbarous relic!
  • Options
    image- Why?
    Why not? MOST are available from pocket change so expense and availability aren't a problem.
    I like what I collect: Lincoln cents, Jefferson nickels, Washington and State quarters and circulating coinage from other countrys.
    Many pre-1900 U.S. coins just don't do anything for me although I suppose I could own at least 1 example of each for our World Coin collection without too much trouble.
    I have been collecting since the mid-60s.

"I just though that anything made say after 1950 was pocket change." Try pulling a complete set (by date and mintmark) of circulating Lincoln Memorial Cents from pocket change for a change of pace. I'm working on my 3rd.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    None of the above. I collect Moderns fron 1997 only because that is my kid's birth year set. I have almost 200 of them including highest graded PCGS and many mint errors and even foreign.
    Other than that I do the Classics. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They probably injoy it.
    Larry

• Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    To each their own.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    yes, i collect moderns becuase of the cheaper cost & availability; but i also collect "classics". I pick the coin (or set) by whatever kicks my fancy.

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    Just think? What are todays moderns will be tommorrows rare coins possibly. imageAnyone living before the 1950's that collected coins were then collecting moderns and now they 're coins are rare. So collecting moderns today could be the rare coins 50 years from now.image
    For me-collecting coins for fun.For my children-their future.
  • Options
    another note to the last. That is why I collect both todays moderns for my childrens rare collection 50 yrs from now and pre 1950's for myself and my children for they're collections.
    For me-collecting coins for fun.For my children-their future.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I collect Modern coins because I'm under contract to do so. I hate them, but am obligated to seeking them out. I'll be happy when my contract is up so I can get back to the "real" hobby of collecting "real" coins. image

peacockcoins

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I collect moderns because lately they've done so much better than the market.image Besides, none of you like carrying all that change anyway.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I thought we weren't going to feed the trolls.
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Why do you collect Morgans? I collect Ikes because I can find common-date MS67 Morgans any day of the week, where's the challenge in that? image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of a year ago, there were 4,600 Ikes in MS67. Sounds pretty common to me, and they are still ugly. At least a morgan is a pretty coin. But that wasn't the point.

Try to find a MS67 w/c Liberty Nickel, there are 14 of them. (and they are a small coin). That isn't the purpose for collecting the series though.

Everyone collects for different reasons. I collect my series for my own reason. If I had the money, I would collect Large Cents.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Yeah, yeah, I meant CLAD Ikes as I'm sure you know, dbltroll. If there were special 40% silver Liberty Five Cents I'm sure they'd grade higher too.
  • Options
    Collecting one series just because you can find coins in another series makes just about no sense. I am sure you collect Ikes for reasons other than many morgan dates are easy to get. Of course, the reason they are easy is that they were never circulated. They sat in vaults for years. (they are silver too, find a clad one in any grade).

I collect morgans because Ikes are butt ugly makes just as much sense.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobby,

Your question smacks of a type of parochialism that precludes diversity even amongst hobbyists...

I am usually considered a classics collector, but I collect moderns. Some, not all. Just like classics; some, not all. Why? Because I have varying interests, and all based on varying criteria.

I have a full set of Ikes. Why? Because I like 'em. That is, I hate the obv, but love the rev design(s) on that large cartwheel. I save all my circ Kennedy halves. Why? Because I love the rev. (Don't care for the obv.) Are Ben's modern? I have a full set. Why? Because silver is my fav metal, and I love the look of a whole run of gleaming silver rounds. And, I pretty much like the rev. (Don't care for the obv.) I collect SQ's because it's fun. I have a friend on the West Coast who saves the D-mints for me. image

I can go on, but the gist here is that I collect what I like for the reasons that are important to me. Some collect for financial reasons, some to honor family members. The reasons are probably as varied as there are series to collect!

BTW, you should know that I consider Morgans and Walkers (I have a full set of Walkers too) to be moderns. Let me ask you the same questions you posed here. What are your reasons for collecting stuff that is so recent (compared to my primary series)?

Regards,

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>as I'm sure you know, dbltroll. >>

ROFLMAOimage
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Why are we having this discussion again????
    J'har
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I collect some moderns because today's moderns are tomorrow's classics. Many of the good ones are not being preserved. And not all of them are ugly. But the price is right for the most part. And whenever there is a permanent design change, they'll be as neat as the last series before this present one.

Neil
  • Options
    dbldie55- I just want to make sure I'm clear on this and to avoid any possibility of future confusion. You do NOT like collecting Ike dollars? I know you've hinted at this before, but your statements are ambiguous and I'm just never certain as to what your collecting favorites could be and what your dislikes are. Again- you don't like Ikes and you DO like the Liberty nickel (commonly refered to as the "V" Nickel). Have I got that right? I know you're shy in voicing your displeasures with this hobby, but wanted to totally understand what motivates you.
    Please confirm. Thanks.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Had a bunch typed, by why bother?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The greatest weakness of moderns is that there are so many major rarities
    that some people will be turned off. I started collecting them after several
    years of just accumulating them. I've found a never ending source of fas-
    cination. It is extremely interesting to collect coins that are still circulating and
    almost ignored in circulation. There are an incredible myriad lessons to be
    learned about statistics, metalurgy, coin production, banking and many other
    subjects. I'm sure there are as many reasons to collect moderns as there are
    modern collectors, and we're having a blast. Collect what pleases you, I'm
    sure you can have as much fun with half cents or V-nickels.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Had a bunch typed, by why bother? >>

Exactly. Why bother?

peacockcoins

• Options
    My response was not geared towards Ikes, Morgans or Liberty Nickels. It said to collect what you like. My point was that I really doubt you would choose to collect a series because of some other series. I collect Liberty Nickels because State quarters are common in MS68 (doesn't make much sense does it?) For me, moderns do not offer what I value in collecting. Just not there. It will be there well after I am dead, so I will collect them then. Doesn't mean you should not collect them.
  • Options

<< <i>Had a bunch typed, by why bother? >>

Changed your mind?! image

peacockcoins

• Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    I think supercoin's response about Morgans makes perfect sense, and the way I took it, is a main reason why I went into dealing in mostly modern coins. I decided to go into the market of moderns because there are maybe 20-30 true modern dealers, probably even less and about 10,000 Morgan dollar dealers. Less competition in my book spells success.

I often ask this question at shows I attend and a few more opinions (many respond similiar to the above reason) follow:

Many people say the coins look prettier (Proof Silver American Eagle is always high on the response list for prettiest coin minted)
    Other say they like to collect the dead presidents rather than Miss Liberty
    The challenge of finding a diamond in the ruff
    A lot of people like to collect there birth year and I haven't ran into many people born in 1804 lately
    Many classic coins are dipped, cleaned etc. and moderns are easier to collect in original condition

These are just some of the reasons, but these are the ones I hear over and over again.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file