Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

We've all been quoted in an eBay auction!

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
Read the fun. We've been quoted and our comments used to support an auction: 1370986789.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Braddick, I just started a thread on this before I saw you posted. Sorry, I just would have replied to yours.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Link

morris <><

ps, that guy sounds like the coolest
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    Naw- this topic is funny and ironic enough that it deserves two Threads!

peacockcoins

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To bad it wasn't white! ( I really do not like toning) Interesting comments though.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the quoting was selective!
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the selective quoting, but the seller does provide a link to the entire thread.

I'm not a fan of toning in general but that's an exceptionally nice piece. Not five digit nice but nice enough that I would add it to my collection if I had the chance, and most of my pieces are blast white.
  • Options
    So how many of you were asked your permission or are being paid a commission?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Ya gotta love this guy and his coins.image
  • Options
    ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Regardless if a link to the thread was put in his auction description or not he should have at least put some of the bad with the good especially toningintheblood's post. Just to keep the whole thing on a level playing field. I realize this is the man's coin and he can say what he likes, but if you are going to quote people stop playing it like a news media and show the whole picture.
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I think the seller would have been better off just linking to the thread. Legally, you can't compose a whole work based on quotes from others without permission.
  • Options
    ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about the legal ramifications, and don't really care. When I post to this board it is out there for the world to see. If a guy wants to quote me in one of his auctions I have no problem with it, but don't edit my post to the point where it is used as a selling tool for a coin.
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Looks like the quoting was selective!

I noticed that.

He quoted me as "Toningintheblood showed this coin to me two Long Beaches ago and the color is stunning." BUT he left out the rest of what I said: If it is AT it is a good job. If it is real it's too thick at some parts where the colors merge and it won't get holdered. It's still love to have it, but not at $12,000."

BTW: Anaconda/Adrian is a lawyer so I'm sure he know about the legality of quoting us. Not that I care he can quote me all he likes.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I just read the auction link. The whole thing. Whatever you think about the coin you just gotta love the ad. By the way, I think the coin is awesome. I wish I had that kinda money to invest in a single coin.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    i think all who were mentioned and quoted deserve either a percentage of realized price or any one coin (valued no greater than, oh let's say $3,000) of their choice from current inventory.

:-)
  • Options
    I wasn't quoted in the '37 Roanoke Ebay auction. The PCGS msg bd posters who
    were quoted in the auction appear to be "endorsing" this ANACS Roanoke. I wonder
    if that's a good idea? I'm sure some bd members don't even know yet that they are being
    quoted in an ad like that.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No quote from Iwog...I wonder why? image
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    This is an open forum, why would he need permission to quote you?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Sneaky slimy lawyers always twist your words around, what else is new?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

<< <i>Sneaky slimy lawyers always twist your words around, what else is new? >>

Or, Andaconda's version: "Sneaky, slimy Forum members, aways thinking they're getting their words twisted around. So, what else is new?"

peacockcoins

• Options
    This is an open forum, why would he need permission to quote you?

Because just because you say something in public doesn't make it not your work. If I wrote a book and read it in public would someone be able to pub;lish the book without my permission since I "read it in public"? Of course not. I'm not saying that he did anything wrong, but I'm sure there are some members that would have appreciated being asked before being quoted. I would have also prefered to have my entire quote quoted or none at all.
  • Options
    Greg's right. Altough probably within the legal confines of the law, it is unethical to quote someone out of context. It's funny, the way it was done here, but also a bit sad that it was done at all to market a coin.

peacockcoins

• Options
    To be quoted from an open forum into another forum like an auction site, your quote has to have some intellectual value for you to have basis for a lawsuit and recovery of damages. 99.9% of us would have no basis for recovery. imageimage
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    For anyone who was curious as to whether that Roanoke was doctored like I previously mentioned, the quotes in his new auction listing from this forum should be the clincher for you.

Dragon
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    IrishMike, you don't think our comments represent, collectively, intellectual property? Why else would the seller bother to quote us? It's not that I mind being quoted, but as gmarguli said, if he is going to quote any of us on his ad, he should quote all of us. And if he is going to quote anything a person says, he should quote everything we say, right? I agree with braddick that what he has done is totally unethical (I won't argue about the "legal" correctness of it; we know that even the ex-President can weasel his way out of trouble by using legalistic definitions)--in fact, the seller has used us like pawns and made us all look stupid. Of course, that bothers me (not that I would expect him to quote my posts, but by not doing so, he is really being a FRAUD). I would draw your attention to what dragon just said, too.

The seller is a true sheister, and a disgrace to the hobby.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

PS: would you allow him to be a matchmaker to find you a wife (husband)? Why shouldn't we trust him? The wife would be guaranteed to be real, no makeup, no plastic surgery, etc. Just trust him. And trust the whole matchmaking community that he's for real and upfront (at least trust those he has selected to quote, because nobody else even had an opposing opinion!!!).
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Next PS: this reminds me of the recent auctions where some a$$hole was selling a 1909S-S VDB penny and an 1877 IHC, but they were 3" in diameter. Even though he did show a picture of it, very few of us even went to the third picture. Goes to show you how easy it is to defraud somebody. Really makes the adage, "Caveat Emptor" ring true.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    1jester that post was meant to be a joke, didn't you see the winky, smiley thing. Couldn't resist the comment, especially since it followed two people that have a combined posts of almost 25,000.
  • Options

<< <i>Because just because you say something in public doesn't make it not your work. If I wrote a book and read it in public would someone be able to pub;lish the book without my permission since I "read it in public"? Of course not. I'm not saying that he did anything wrong, but I'm sure there are some members that would have appreciated being asked before being quoted. I would have also prefered to have my entire quote quoted or none at all. >>

wrong, if you don't copyright your work it's fair game.

<< <i>Greg's right. Altough probably within the legal confines of the law, it is unethical to quote someone out of context. It's funny, the way it was done here, but also a bit sad that it was done at all to market a coin. >>

braddick, while many cops have a terrific understanding of criminal law their eyes glaze over like a dead fish when quized on the civil code and common law. gereg is wrong.

peeps are responible for what they say and can't be taken out of context if they didn't say it in the first place. if anyone was offended, perhaps they should be more sustinct when reducing they're thoughts into writing.

these boards are akin to standing around on the street corner talking loudly. there are no privledges.

i now return his thread to the misguided rantings of the unknowng.
  • Options
    wrong, if you don't copyright your work it's fair game.

Sorry, but you're 100% wrong. You do not need to copyright your work in order for it to be protected. Check the law. Your work has protection the minute you create it.

Basically you're saying that if I write a book which I don't bother to have copyrighted and I leave it on a public bench then someone can take that book and use it for their personal gain because I didn't copyright it and it was in public.

I now return you to your common sense.
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    very briefly, the copyright laws are in place to protect the expression of ideas, not the ideas themselves. patent and trademark laws deal with the more base ideas themselves (inventions, symbols, etc.). what Adrian did was take quotes from an open forum and as he admitted himself at the start of the ad copy "edited, excised and inserted" those portions he cared to into his auction copy. twice he referred the reader to the complete thread address and while not wholeheartedly imploring one to go view the entirety of the thread, he did at least mention it twice, with the full address. he stated that the printed excerpts were no more than 20% of the entire thread.

in the copyright law there is a concept known as the "fair use" doctrine which allows one author to quote the words of another if the use is limited in scope and would not infringe upon the rights, financial or otherwise, of the previous writer. it in no way affects any copyright an author has in his own work, merely protects another author from referencing a previous work in a way that does not materially damage the first author.

bringing the quote into the realm of advertising, as Adrian arguably did could perhaps create additional problems, but in this case the damages one could prove would be very hard to define. (loss of reputation or income, for instance).

i would guess that most people who view his auctions enjoy the description almost as much as the coins themselves (seeing as how we surely can't afford these things). he is an intelligent wordsmith with not even a neutral feedback, let alone a negative, out of hundreds of transactions and to have compared his auctions to the phony IHP is an insult that requires nothing more than a mere nod.

as far as i'm concerned the only thing wrong with the quotations were the unfortunate omission of some very important ...'s. these little three periods in a row have traditionally been used to clearly enunciate where and when quotations have been edited. this was not done in a couple of quotes and did, in my opinion, materially misrepresent what the original author was attempting to express.

the auction has now been relisted, with no mention of the thread whatsoever. a full, and seemingly very sincere apology has been made (although not acknowledged by some who have obviously already read it) by the "offender." the seller has also restructured his return policy for this coin from "the best in the business" to 90 days. he has also offered the buyer an immediate $2,000 buyback for service cross (although i admit this could be seen as a bit self serving).

i think all who impugned the mans integrity owe the guy at least an acknowledgement of his apology, if not praise for his obvious attempt at making this, as well as all his auctions, right.

zenny
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    I have emailed Adrian to express my concerns, and at the same time appreciating the apology he posted on this board.

I like many of you was not happy to have something I posted here used for commercial purposes. Since my statement was public and my real name was not used, I am not sure that any intellectual property was misappropriated, but I will leave that to the IP lawyers to pontificate on.

The real commercial value of my opinion about Adrain's Roanoke is zero--and therein lies the rub.

I was dismayed over having something I said on this board used in a way that could be interpreted as impliing that (1) I endorsed the coin or the value asked, and (2) my statement was authorative in some respect and therefor was something that a propsective buyer could rely upon. In fact, I am not a professional or an expert and no one should rely on my opinion in purchasing a coin. As a I stated in my posts about the coin, I think that collectors who have $12K to play with will make their own investigation and rely upon their expertise and that of their trusted advisors, if any. But I still was uncomfortable with something I said here being used to hype the sale of someone's merchandise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file