Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ethical Question

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is ok to ask a seller on ebay to maybe pull item and put it at BIN if there are NO BIDS yet? Thanks in advance for any replies.

stman
Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Yes--why not. The seller can choose to change an auction with no bids.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Brian. Rampage!!!
  • Options
    there is no question of ethics here. what you are proposing is within ebay rules.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Very good question. I have wondered that myself.
    If you read these boards long enough you will find the answers to questions that you just haven't gotten around to asking.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'd do it on a coin I was selling if it was a good offer.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do this very thing often. They can say yes or no, or not reply. This is the the way I “gamble.”

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Why in the world are you posting in all these 16 year old threads?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

sure, I have made an offer to a seller, and it was accepted as a BIN

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's okay. I did this for a buyer, once . But then , it immediately sold... to another watcher who snatched it up, before the guy who asked had a chance.
    Of course, the ethical thing did not seem like the right thing. I felt bad for the guy who asked . Now I tell potential buyers that doing such comes with a risk (caveat).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... 2002 thread resurrected....And since I have a couple of ethics courses in my past, let me say, there was never a question of ethics in the OP.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old threads are cool to pull up, once in a while.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure for a potential sale.
    What you could do is make an offer and go that route.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well 16 years later it would still be nice to know how the OP made out?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

It never hurts to ask! A seller’s main goal is to do just that; Sell! If you make them an offer that they are happy with, it sounds like a win-win!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any problems with it, as long as there's no bids !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize for bringing up old threads everyone! I never saw a rule against this activity. I was not trolling.
    I was honestly getting tired of the multiple member popularity and related threads clogging the front page. I respect all the members here and I am happy they are back. Multiple threads were locked for similar topics and more kept coming up. So I looked in the past and brought out old chestnuts. I AM SORRY. PLEASE STOP MAKING COMPLAINTS about me to moderators! I will try to learn and write down all the unwritten rules some of you folks have.

Roccout

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

16 years later and it's still perfectly ethical, IMO! I've asked a couple times, and the seller obliged.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've even had them change the category so I could earn "ebay rebate points" (bonus bucks).

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those who forget History are Doomed to repeat it, plus there is a wealth of information built up here, so IMO I think its great that some find Value in the past

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    It's okay. I did this for a buyer, once . But then , it immediately sold... to another watcher who snatched it up, before the guy who asked had a chance.
    Of course, the ethical thing did not seem like the right thing. I felt bad for the guy who asked . Now I tell potential buyers that doing such comes with a risk (caveat).

He should have just made you an offer....then you could have sent him an OK and a reply to accept.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely, I do it all the time and in many cases the seller obliges.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, you can always ask.
    Unless the offer is reasonable, I'll simply wait until the end of the auction. You never know when the snipers will show up.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file