Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1822 BUST 50C O-107 RAINBOW TONING! AT?????

tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
Whats the verdict on this one tone lovers? I am hedging towards AT. the colors go up and over the letters.......like they were painted on? I am interested in what others have to say.....about the toning, not the doomed tomb its in......thanks

1822 Rainbow Bust
Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Comments

• Options
    I have seen some legitamitely toned Bust halves similar to this. However, the pics are deceptively dark, and don't give you a good close-up of the piece. If the coin was problem-free, it would not be in that holder.
    Keith ™

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bust half that I have had in a dansco album since around 1970 and it toned like this. I kind of like the look.
  • Options
    It appears to be cleaned from the way the surfaces look but the toning looks about like it should on a coin which was cleaned then put into an album. AU50 ??????? more like XF
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    nice looking bust! I won't let the certifition scare me off.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options

<< <i>It appears to be cleaned from the way the surfaces look but the toning looks about like it should on a coin which was cleaned then put into an album. AU50 ??????? more like XF >>

I have to agree completely with goldnuggets on this one. I can clearly see that this coin received a pretty thorough cleaning at some point and then was retoned. It's still an attractive coin, but I don't think I would touch it in that holder with the cleaning so obvious image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right. Cleaned and retoned. Not even close to monster toning.
    Ok coin considering it's a near impossibility to find these that haven't been cleaned sometime in their lives.

peacockcoins

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    agreed that it is dansco toning. as for AT, i stand by the idea that EVERY coin with knockout colors is AT'd - it's just a question of being acceptable or not. i like this coin and would buy it, but also agree it is cleaned, HOWEVER, NEARLY ALL early silver with classic target toning was cleaned, which is what encourages the toning to begin with.

appears to me as XF with great eye appeal

K s
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Two things bother me about it, it looks unnatural and cleaned and the holder. Here is one I picked up raw with similar toning, notice the doubling on the neck and chin. Link
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will see quite a bit of rim toning like this in Capped Bust & Reeded Edge coinage. I don't have a problem with it. I do have a problem with the harsh cleaning the coin received, though.

Capped Bust halves are plentiful through MS 63, and for their age & grade, they are relatively not expensive. However, these coins were made before the steam press was used on halves, so it's tough to distinguish between striking problems -- which are many in this series -- and wear.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ACG = Artificial Color Guaranteed image
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Thanks all for the replies, I am still learning. I appreciate that some of you could comment on the coin and not the holder. Frankly, I am tired of the ACG bashing and just wanted to hear about the coin
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Some advice,if you are tired of all the ACG bashing don't do a post with an ACG coin. Very few serious collectors with knowledge of the hobby will not offer a comment about them. It's in that slab for a reason, if you want to buy it do so, but don't get snippy on here if we point out how we feel about ACG, most of us are serious collectors and don't like what they have done to our hobby and to unsuspecting collectors.
  • Options
    "Snippy" Thats funny, but I didnt think I was being snipish. I am only trying to continue my learning without the biased opinions of what plastic holder a coin is in, thats all.

I dont typically buy ACG, but I do admit to owning two. Maybe serious collectors wont buy accugrade coins, but I buy the coin, not the holder.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    right on
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I agree with most posters--cleaned, with toning afterwards.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I always thought the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders had the best posters, but I was a kid at the time and now the Artificially Enhanced likes of Pam and Carmen Electra put them to shame......sort of AT women if you will think of it that way.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file