Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tell me the GSA Story...

What is the deal with the "GSA Carson City" silver dollars? How/why/when did this happen?
Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans

Comments

• Options
    ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    When the Treasury was selling off bags of dollars there were about 3 million Uncirculated CC dollars found. They were put aside until the sales of these bags was terminated in 1964. The GSA had about 4 or 5 mail order sales in the 70's for the CC Dollars. All did not sell and they held another sale in the 80's in which the remainder sold. Gsaguy can add a whole lot more to this if he has the time to respon
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • Options
    byergobyergo Posts: 586
    How much did the government sell them for? Did you get a random coin, or know which date you were getting?
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I believe they were random. You can still find lots of unopened GSAs. They're kind of like a lottery ticket.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    In the sale from the 70's I only sent in a bid in the mixed category which was $15.00. I don't remember what the minimum was on the other categories. The sale from the 80's I believe the minimum bid was $40.00 or $45.00.
    Gsaguy is the man when it comes to the GSA sales, and I'm sure he will post if he sees the thread before it gets buried. He knows the prices and most of if not all of the information pertaining to the sales.

If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Byergo,

I'm writing a book on the GSA sale and will soon go to a publisher. The book will cover each of the sales, provide details about the minimum pricing of each category, the politics surrounding the sale, etc. I'll also include MANY photographs of GSA coins from my personal collection. Basically, I plan for my book to be the GSA Buyer's Bible.......hhhuuummm.......should that be the title?

Art, you're correct. Those coins in the mixed CC category (placed in GSA hardpacks marked 'Silver Dollar') sold in the early sale where offered at a minimum bid of $15.00 each. They included coins from all dates represented in the Treasury Hoard. Many went unsold during the scheduled sales and Congress had to approve a final sale/s to be held in Jan and July of 1980.

All of the remaining 'mixed CC' coins were sold in the Jan 1980 sale for a minimum bid of $45.00. However, interest in the initial sales and the final sale were like night and day. The GSA could hardly give the coins away in the 1970's and yet in the 1980 sale everyone was crying foul for not getting the coins they wanted.

This will all be discussed in the upcoming book!!!!

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    GSAguy, remember I want a copy of your book when it comes out.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the book come out?

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

For years, I wasn't aware of the Joe Dirt move....and thought that was GSA Guy's real hair. :o

Don't know if the book ever came out. But, there are very-detailed accounts on line if you Google GSA dollars.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 year thread bump.

The dude hasn't even made a comment in 6 years!

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was of much humbler means at the time in the 70s, but I did get a couple of the $15 ones. And I THOUGHT I remembered that you had to submit bids for some of the specific dates, of which I did manage to snag a couple I stretched for. Struck out on several, though.

I don't know what happened to gsaguy's book. It'd be worth looking into!

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

Dang, it's been six years since GSAGUY was around?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erickso1 said:
    Dang, it's been six years since GSAGUY was around?

This was his final thread outside of a couple things for sale: I also always loved his picture!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/821536/random-thoughts-on-selling-a-collection#latest

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Info on the sale is in VAM book.

I see Conder 101 was banned from here. He is a very informed poster over on Coin Talk. Too bad he cannot get reinstated over here. IMO, CU loss.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever hear from gsaguy? Hope he's still with us.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly doubtful (Last Active June 22, 2013 1:35PM), unless he is using an alias.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

NARA files on this are several feet thick.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Conder was banned? Why the heck did that happen, anyone know?

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC the max limit in 1980 was 5 coins at $45 each. At least that's how many I got.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

GSAGUY is south of the border these days. Sometimes puts in an appearance on the OFR. Been a hot minute tho.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased several unopened GSA coins from gsaguy... none were key CC's, but nice coins. I still have them... opened of course. :D;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file