Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Commentary on ANA in NYC....

Spent the last two days there. By my standards a great show! Currency was HOT, HOT, HOT!!! There were only aroung 10-15 dealers, with half of those full time, but if you wanted it it was there. And the quality was awesome, both in large and small. Coins were very hot also, but Isaw a lot of higher grade pieces with lower grade better dates and keys just not around (or not on display.) Overall the bourse was a happening place and by noon the floor was jammed, and literally. The tables were so close you were running into people the whole time. (In fact, that is my only complaint.) Overall a great show and this market is in full swing.

JJY
Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a thread from 15 years ago. It's interesting how the market can change.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was not a very popular thread.

I did give it a 15 year delayed like. I'm tough to please

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

...still thinking of a good response... gimme another 15 years to think about it!

:mrgreen:

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

I managed to miss the OP's post, as apparently everyone else did, also. But I certainly did not miss the 2002 ANA in New York to which he refers, and this effectively demonstrates how reasonable people can have vastly differing views. The OP heaps glowing praise on the 2002 New York ANA summer convention, held at the Marriott Marquis in Manhattan, in the heart of the theater district. But many other attendees, myself included, were less than enthused by the choice of venue. The bourse floor was considerably smaller than in previous (or more recent) years, and it was divided in half, with half of the dealers on one floor and the other half on a different floor. And as if that were not bad enough, to go from one floor to the other you needed to walk the entire length of the hotel to get to the stairs/escalators to access the other floor. And the exhibits, too often overlooked by attendees as it is, were on yet another floor. And because it was in New York, the hotels were exorbitantly priced. Of course, there were many great restaurants in the area, but these, too, were not suited for budget minded collectors. The summer ANA was held there in 1997, as well. I certainly hope that the ANA does not repeat that fiasco.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Ahhh yes, I had just finished my box of 20 1799 and 1797 Eagles a year or 2 before this and was looking forward to them increasing :)

• Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Tough crowd... :D

At the time (2002) I was newly married and had no kids, and that NY show was only my second large coin show (I was at the Philly ANA the year before). Having cash to spend and taking the train into NYC was reminiscent of the days me and a buddy did the same to see concerts and hockey games at MSG.

I've since turned to paper, and the only show I hit is the International Paper Money Show in Kansas City (after being in Memphis for 40 years). However, my enthusiasm for that show is just as it was for the NY show 15 years ago!

Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHalfDime said:
    And because it was in New York, the hotels were exorbitantly priced.

Clearly you haven't tried booking a hotel for the Denver ANA.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2017 8:12PM

@pruebas said:

@MrHalfDime said:
    And because it was in New York, the hotels were exorbitantly priced.

Clearly you haven't tried booking a hotel for the Denver ANA.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that it's difficult getting a moderately priced hotel in NYC. I go to the NYINC in January every year and I get a hotel nearby and it's always ~$150/night or lower. Maybe that's because it's January, but I just did a search on hotels.com for Aug 1 check-in and Aug 4 check-out for Midtown West, Times Square and Midtown East, and easily found hotels between $100 and $150. If I broaden my search for north and south of the Marriott Marquis, I bet I'd find even more.

At the Baltimore shows, my hotels are also between $100 and $150 (closer to $100 though). Add parking (in Baltimore) and it's about even.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... old resurrection (cannot call it a thread with only one post).... somehow I missed it initially... oh yeah, was still working at that time.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file