Home U.S. Coin Forum

Haven't been here in a while

I had to see what people thought of 7.59 mil. If you had the money, what would you be willing to pay for that coin?
Working on a Morgan Registry set.

Comments

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a lot more money than that I would have in a second. But not if that was all the money I had.
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd look at the very last post on the very last page. PAGE 5778. Looked interesting, funny title....I'll say HAVEN"T BEEN HERE IN AWHILE. It's been almost 18 years and @Coinman94 has posted just one post! And never came back!! There were only 8 views and one response from @LanLord -a four star member.

So, what do people think of the 7.59 mil today? And what is this question about anyway? What coin from 2002 is he referring to?

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

1933 DE?

If not that, I haven't a clue. But not surprising, I don't even remember what I had for dinner last night.

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sale of the only 1933 DE available for sale

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

This must be it. Nearly half a million of the $20 gold coins were minted in 1933 during the Great Depression and only 13 are known to exist today. Rare 'Double Eagle' 1933 coin worth $7.6 MILLION still.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    This must be it. Nearly half a million of the $20 gold coins were minted in 1933 during the Great Depression and only 13 are known to exist today. Rare 'Double Eagle' 1933 coin worth $7.6 MILLION still.

Upon what basis have you determined that the 1933 Saint in question is “worth $7.6 MILLION still”?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld I don't have any basis to determine that the value to the owner is still holding what they paid for it, it's such a crazy amount of money. I guess it would be safe to call it priceless.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

I don't think those pics go together. That reverse pic is a MCMVII (1907) High Relief Saint Gaudens double eagle.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall said:

I don't think those pics go together. That reverse pic is a MCMVII (1907) High Relief Saint Gaudens double eagle.

You are correct. That's what I get for copying from a google search. I pulled out the old Red Book and now see that the motto In God We Trust was added in July of 1908, so the No Motto years were 1907-1908. And extra stars were also added in 1912 from 46 to 48 to the obverse. The government ruled it illegal to own these, except for the one sold at auction, with a current value at n/a. :pensive:

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@PerryHall said:

You are correct. That's what I get for copying from a google search. I pulled out the old Red Book and now see that the motto In God We Trust was added in July of 1908, so the No Motto years were 1907-1908. And extra stars were also added in 1912 from 46 to 48 to the obverse. The government ruled it illegal to own these, except for the one sold at auction, with a current value at n/a. :pensive:

The evolution of this design is quite interesting. New Mexico and Arizona became states in 1912 which is why two more stars were added in 1912 (46 to 48) to the double eagle design. The same thing happened the starred edge of the Indian $10 gold eagle. Also, when this design was resurrected for the American Gold Eagle in 1986, two more stars were added for Alaska and Hawaii (48 to 50).

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... one post and never returned....With a 'name' like 'Coinman94' one would think he would become a regular...Hope nothing bad happened.... Or maybe he changed his handle and is still active.... :) Come out, come out wherever you are.... :D Cheers, RickO

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Until bumped in 2020, at 2 posts this must have been the shortest thread regarding the 1933 Double Eagle. Made possible no doubt from the title not giving away the topic.

Most ran long even before the mega threads that began after the 10 coin find.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020 2:58PM

Username Coinman94 Joined February 23, 2001 4:37PM Visits 0 Last Active July 31, 2002 2:29PM Roles Members Posts 1

seems he never even returned or logged on after that one solo post.

@marcmoish said:
    Username Coinman94 Joined February 23, 2001 4:37PM Visits 0 Last Active July 31, 2002 2:29PM Roles Members Posts 1

seems he never even returned or logged on after that one solo post.

Under his BADGES it says, " Any minute now." Don't hold your breath!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file