Home U.S. Coin Forum

Besides Jeff staying, other ideas about coins

Did anybody read any of the bill in the House that passed on the nickel? . It also calls for a citizens advisory panel to be appointed by the President and Congress to make suggestions to the Sec. of the Treasury about changes to coins in the future. A very similar bill has been drafted to be put before the Senate.

Comments

• Coin World article

Cameron Kiefer
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    after the state run I hope that they'll make a different quarter. I'm ready for a new half too if it still lives. I like the idea in a recent publication about coins. Make vending machines to accomodate halves and makes the halves smaller and octogon. It would be nice to just drop one coin in a soda machine instead of a bunch of quarters or dimes.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • BNEBNE Posts: 772
    For the life of me, I do not know why the suggested "commission on coinage" is necessary or desirable. The last thing we need is more bureacracy to slow things down. Rep. Cantor didn't need a commission to tell him that Monticello should remain on the nickel forever, did he? No, he made that decision for all Americans (and to curry favor with his constituency).

A commission to decide what? To continue to use the same tired designs we've been saddled with from time immemorial?

What we need is a strong politician (or Ms. Fore) to spearhead a movement to change the coinage and PUSH IT THROUGH. Our Mint is so wimpy!! We've been crying out for new coinage for how long? Fore indicates she is receptive to comments on this at a meeting with collectors, and the reaction is a bill to PRESERVE THE STATUS QUO? How retrograde!

No more talking! No more commissions to appoint commissions. Make it a Mint OBJECTIVE to change the designs, and then shift the debate to what the new designs will look like.

If I were Mint director, I would WANT it to be my legacy that I was at the helm overseeing a redesign of coinage! My hero, TR, wanted a redesign to be his legacy, too (one of his hundreds of legacies), and he MADE IT HAPPEN. He virtually discovered Saint-Gaudens and his protoge, Fraser, and set into motion a redesign of gold coinage, presided over issuance of the new cent, and started the ball rolling on the Buffalo nickel. And Roosevelt's artistic sense was limited, to say the least! Where is the courageous leader who can effect change?

@ representative can potentially gum up the works. This bill is not law yet, but as a matter of principle, Fore ought to lobby the president to say the legislature is treading into areas beyond its legitimate purview. We don't need an act to change the current designs! It should be easy! Now we are getting acts to prevent changing designs! This is stupid! Promise Virginia a money-making commemorative for them to drop the bill, and ensure this fiasco never happens again.

Sorry I am het up, but WHERE IS OUR MINT DIRECTOR ON ALL OF THIS!? image
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Wonder what became of this.......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file