Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

nappy new question, very thought provoking

Im sorry as I had ment to post this in the a.m., but I kept forgetting my point image

Alot of things happen when you submit coins for grading. Depending on your locality, the trip number one can be a fiasco in itself. Cold to hot, sitting in box trucks for days, etc. I had starting thinking about this during the heated haze discussion. Well theres another factor no one seems to mention when serving cheese with their wine, except a select few. And thats the way they and yes i mean THEY project themselves to the grader. By this I mean when I package my coins, I do polybag, inside a flip next, bubble wrap 5 together, bubble wrap again, put in express mail and send fastest way possible. Now the inside package job looks great, as the outside also. Now some on the other hand, slap in a flip, stick in a box, and let it flop its way to Cali via camel. Get my point? How you present yourselves to the graders may well have to do with your grades.

how do others feel?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the graders even see the packaging. But, the way I pack, you could drop mine from the airplane on the way there, and the coins would be fine.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    lol seriously russ i think yours can withstand a nuclear blast but lets not test it image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Hey Russ - I thought you actually did drop your coin packages from an airplane , on top of the PCGS Palace of Profundity. Bearimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I think the point pontiacinf is trying to make, it that do your coins sit in a semi for a 4 day ride to Newport Beach, or a 1 night plane ride. It gets very hot inside the back of a semi driving through AZ in the summertime. I ship mine Priority Mail (for low cost moderns). They still go by air. But I think registered goes by truck. Maybe it's the heat that is causing the haze on the coins. Do you get the same haze when you ship in the winter? Just an opinion...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    I present all of my coins to Carol on a red velvet pillow.
    When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I think we should start sending our coins in limos.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I think Carol should come and pick them up. At PCGS expense of course!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    The one thing that nobody seems to mention has to do with humidity control. Does anybody put a dessicant pack or two in with your shipment? I mean, if the packed coins are possibily subjected to high heat and/or very humid conditions along the way (or in the grading house storage), a little aid in controlling humidity may help. We seem to pack the coins to the 9's for other obvious reasons.image

Tony
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Fly too high - You make a good point, how about rubbing a little Arrid on the coins , so they wont sweat when it gets hotsy totsy. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear: a little Arid would go a long way! An the graders can then add "scent" designations to the slabs!
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to insure the best possible delivery system is to deliver yourself.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy I feel old :wink: but not that old :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The graders do not see your "gem" in the package. Plus, it is a good bet that you folks worrying about a hot delivery truck do more damage to them as you examine them, place them in coin folders or flips than the truck ride.

I have heard this. In most cases, the more securely wrapped the package, the more trouble it is to get your coin ready to be input into the system, the more "CRAPPY" the coin turns out to be! Human nature being what it is, perhaps it's a good thing the graders don't have to do the dirty work or they might be tempted to take it out on the coin and its owner. Just a thought >:)

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to read that Bear post from 2002.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow this is a blast from the pass. Some good guys in this group wish they where back.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat old thread... Bear and Russ..... Both gone, but not forgotten.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pontiacinf said:
    Im sorry as I had ment to post this in the a.m., but I kept forgetting my point

Alot of things happen when you submit coins for grading. Depending on your locality, the trip number one can be a fiasco in itself. Cold to hot, sitting in box trucks for days, etc. I had starting thinking about this during the heated haze discussion. Well theres another factor no one seems to mention when serving cheese with their wine, except a select few. And thats the way they and yes i mean THEY project themselves to the grader. By this I mean when I package my coins, I do polybag, inside a flip next, bubble wrap 5 together, bubble wrap again, put in express mail and send fastest way possible. Now the inside package job looks great, as the outside also. Now some on the other hand, slap in a flip, stick in a box, and let it flop its way to Cali via camel. Get my point? How you present yourselves to the graders may well have to do with your grades.

how do others feel?

I would worry more about the poly and bubble wrap. That stuff is NOT archival.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody know what happened to pontiacinf ??
    He was a frequent poster when I first came here.
    I always wondered what happened to him.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a post from 2002. 15 years ago. Where will we be in 15 years? The year will be 2032 and there will be over 10,000 pages of coin talk. This sounds very futuristic. The mint will be celebrating its 240th anniversary!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file