Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Started a Walking Liberty half short set

GoobGoob Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently decided to pursue the set since I had four coins (and recently acquired a fifth). What do yall think?

The new coin is the 1941-P; while it probably isn’t worth it financially I’ll probably send it to our hosts, I’m thinking it’ll go MS64 (with a shot at 65?).










"Another day, another Collectors Universe forum scrolling session."
- Someone, probably

Comments

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thats a good start 👌

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Fun set enjoy the chase. As to your newp you are correct that you could likely find an example already graded for less than the total of what it cost and what it will cost you to send that new coin to PCGS, but your choice.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Don't waste money slabbing the coin in the Capital Plastics holder. It is a common date and the holder actually adds to its appeal as is.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cptbillycptbilly Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭

    Really nice examples, Goob. Good luck with the pursuit.

  • Options
    GoobGoob Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinbuf said:
    Fun set enjoy the chase. As to your newp you are correct that you could likely find an example already graded for less than the total of what it cost and what it will cost you to send that new coin to PCGS, but your choice.

    ~

    @291fifth said:
    Don't waste money slabbing the coin in the Capital Plastics holder. It is a common date and the holder actually adds to its appeal as is.

    To be fair I’ll probably break even since I got the coin for a decent price ($60) and I do want to keep the set together, which I can’t do with a Capital Plastics holder.
    (By the way the 1945 used to be in the holder, it didn’t come with the 1941)

    "Another day, another Collectors Universe forum scrolling session."
    - Someone, probably

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think you’re going to get bored. And that you’ll be sorry that you spent money on coins of the same type and wont have it for other coins.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    GoobGoob Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:
    I think you’re going to get bored. And that you’ll be sorry that you spent money on coins of the same type and wont have it for other coins.

    I mean I buy plenty variety not just set coins

    "Another day, another Collectors Universe forum scrolling session."
    - Someone, probably

  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As a side pursuit, I started a set of Walkers a few years ago. I need one more to complete the short set. I'm hoping to get that one in a week. It's been fun, but will get costly to fill in the rest of the 'long' set. I hope you enjoy building your set.

    Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

  • Options

    The short-set is an absolutely ideal way to pursue non-certified coins if your are at or below the MS-64 range.

    Official PCGS account of:

    www.TallahasseeCoinClub.com

  • Options
    GoobGoob Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2026 7:53AM

    @TallahasseeCoinClub said:
    The short-set is an absolutely ideal way to pursue non-certified coins if your are at or below the MS-64 range.

    I'll probably chase coins for the set with 64 as a base grade (with 65s or 66s whenever possible), but entirely certified so storage is easiest. I do agree though

    "Another day, another Collectors Universe forum scrolling session."
    - Someone, probably

  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have a short set in a dansco album. You'll really appreciate it when its done.
    I dont have any pictures handy but if you want to see it I will take it out of the safe and take a few pictures.

    Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst bretsan MWallace logger7 JWP BruceS bigjpst
    JWP PROMETHIUS88

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file