Home› Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Remembering WinPitcher 🥺

Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 21, 2026 6:06PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Some of the longtime members here will remember Steve DiRenno — WinPitcher.

Steve and I exchanged literally thousands of PMs over the years. He had an incredible memory for members, their collections, old threads and just about anything that ever happened around here. I used to kid that Steve was my source for everything. Looking back, he was my AI before there was AI. 😎

His tagline was “Watching from the sidelines,” which fit him perfectly. He didn't have to be in the middle of everything, but somehow he always knew what was going on.

I lost touch with Steve and recently decided to see if I could find my old friend. Sadly, I learned that Steve passed away in February 2021 at only 65.

Those who knew him will remember his quick wit and his love of cards, but softball was also a huge part of his life. Steve pitched for decades and was still playing long after most of us would've been happy just to make it from home to first.

Steve also endured something no parent should ever have to face — the loss of his 15-year-old son William in 2001. The following year he established the William Anthony Di Renno Scholarship Award, personally helping an Ossining High School graduate each year get a start toward college or trade school.

I'm glad I went looking for him, even though this wasn't the ending I hoped to find.

Rest in peace, old friend.

Mike

Comments

  • Options

    Oh no! I remember him in so many threads. Sorry to hear this news.

    RIP

  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sorry to hear the sad news…

    mint_only_pls
  • Options

    @Stone193 very nice... was having an off day and this put things in perspective... thank you!

  • Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Steve was a good dude. RIP.

  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I had 2,338 PMs with Steve.

    I'm profoundly disappointed that when he dropped out we didn't stay in contact. I did try to reach out but got no response.

    Steve will be "forever on the side lines" viewing. 👍

    Mike
  • Options

    @Stone193 said:

    Some of the longtime members here will remember Steve DiRenno — WinPitcher.

    Rest in peace, old friend.

    Definitely remember him. He and I exchanged several PMs over the years (nothing compared to you, Mike). Good man with great insight. RIP

  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Steve was one of the best of us. So sad to hear he's gone. R.I.P.

    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

    RIP.
    Think Steve was part of our early BBCE pack breaks too.

  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 13,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

    hate to hear it. i did not know steve, but certainly remember him as a member. i sometimes go back and read some of the more memorable threads from the past. i often wonder what has happened to many of the old members who no longer post. if they just dropped out of the hobby, moved over to FB, IG etc. sadly, some have passed on.

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

  • Options
    waxmanwaxman Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭

    @stone193 Mike, excellent writeup on this sad news. I remember Steve from my earlier days on these boards. There was rarely a thread on here in the 2000s-2010s that didn't have his informative input. He was certainly a good member here.

    Adam
    collecting O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball cards
    also collecting US & Canadian junk silver
  • Options
    1982FootballWax1982FootballWax Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

    ^ In addition to what you mentioned.

    As cards have greatly gone up in "value" much of the fun is removed. "Money Changes Everything" .

    It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)
    Not even a minute do I buy the whole buh buh buh I'm a man-child japery - Me (2025)

  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭✭

    He was 100% the man. He has been and will continue to be missed around here. 😔

  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I remember Steve from these boards. 65 is definitely too young to go. I wonder how many other ex-board members who no longer post and not living any more.

    Daniel
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭

    So sorry Mike and to those who knew him well. I remember him in many a thread over the years. We often take it for granted that people will be with and around us forever. Very good that you did follow up and started this nice remembrance thread.

    John

    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 30,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am sorry to hear this news, Mike. I remember him well. May he rest in peace. Sucks how old we are all getting and how many members we lose over time.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭✭

    RIP Steve

    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

    I remember Steve well. He was a very integral part of the CU community. And you have left a nice tribute to your old friend, Mike.

    Eyebone

    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

    Certainly remember his consistent presence online. Seems he was a wonderful soul. RIP card collecting brother. 🙏🙏🙏

  • Options
    toadstranglertoadstrangler Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ughhh, I remember him well. An OG CU legend if there ever was one. I try my best not to think the worst to see when someone so passionate in the past hasn't logged in for a long time. Reality is that's going to be all of us. RIP WinP

    COPPER is gutter !

  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I remember him (and his avatar) well......Thank you for looking into this..

    RIP Steve

    IMF

    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very sad. Win was a great member. Him being a Pitcher makes sense now. Thanks Mike!

    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

    Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 13,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i was thinking about this and how it was interesting to see steves picture. I am so used to seeing everyones avatar, that is just how i picture them in my mind. funny how that works for me. I also never think about peoples first names here, always their screen name.

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

    Thanks Mike. RIP To Steve. Had a few transactions with him and always remember him being part of the old BBCE breaks. Gone way to early. 🙏

    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
Sign In or Register to comment.