Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

recommenation for Iphone copy stand and lighting solutions

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greetings,

I am hoping some of you can share your copy stand and lighting solutions for iPhone imaging. Ideally looking for purchase ready suggestions that can make it on to Santa's list.

all help and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Comments

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You can try and reach out to Ray and see if he has any of these still avalible.

    macrocoins.com/example-system-p1q.html

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    RdfRdf Posts: 23 ✭✭

    While imperfect, I rest the iphone on top of a glass that is about 5.5 inches tall, and use side lighting from a window. The glass keeps the iPhone on the same plane as the coin. It works pretty well for casual use. - Guessing a small tripod with a phone adapter and multiple lights would yield more professional results.

  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Rdf , I have likewise been able to conquer the stability portion of the equation by resting the phone over the edge of some larger books. The perpetual issue is despite trying every nook in the house I have yet to find a decent lighting solution. At this juncture I figured I should look into a more comprehensive solution.

  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2026 3:37PM

    @coinbuf said:
    You can try and reach out to Ray and see if he has any of these still avalible.

    macrocoins.com/example-system-p1q.html

    .
    Love this copy stand! Works great with my Galaxy S22 Ultra phone camera.



    Adjustable height for videos...
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/g-SXXMyOLi8

    In retrospect, I should've ordered the copy stand with attached lighting. Instead, I got budget lighting that works fine but clamps a bit intrusively to my desk.

    Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, jacrispies, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

  • Options
    Russell12Russell12 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

    links for purchasing?

  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2026 4:39PM

    I’m very happy with mine and it works out well for me. I can take good (but not great) pictures in a few seconds that accurately depicts my coin without using any software. I have no interest learning to take professional quality photos.

    www.macrocoins.com/example-system-p1q.html

  • Options
    GoobGoob Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2026 5:43PM

    I use a tissue box standing vertically as well as a couple of lamps. Not perfect but I think it works pretty well.

    A light box also works though

    "Another day, another Collectors Universe forum scrolling session."
    - Someone, probably

  • Options
    DesertCoinDesertCoin Posts: 484 ✭✭✭

    Use a tripod or similar stand for flexible positioning and use a Bluetooth remote shutter button to take the pictures.

    “Land of the free because of the brave”
    “Saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone”
    In Deo solo confidimus
    ΙΧΘΥΣ
    ΙϹ ΧϹ ΝΙΚΑ (ΙΗΣΟΥΣ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΝΙΚΑ)


    Member since 2026
    Successful BST transactions with: Ted 1, JWP, bigjpst, Vetter, nickelsciolist, ajaan, USMarine6, ad4400, grote15, coinbuf, Gothat3rs, No Headlights, PROMETHIUS88, Harlequin, Coin Finder, Coins3675, CKcollectibles2
  • Options
    CascadecoinsCascadecoins Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

    I've designed a nice little phone stand, that hundreds of people have been very happy with. You can find it here.
    Made here in the USA in the State of Washington.

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/4505774644/coin-photography-stand-phone-scanner

    This desktop phone camera stand is designed for simple top-down photography on a flat surface. It holds your phone above your subject so you can capture sharp, consistent images with less shake and better framing. It is especially useful for coin collectors, resellers, hobbyists, and anyone who needs repeatable overhead photos using a phone.

  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Zeiss, in the days of olde, would have made this from 63 different cast and precision machined parts. It would last forever until it mysteriously stopped working for no reason, and it required a trained Zeiss repairman and about a year in the shop. It would have cost the equivalent of $1200.00 today, however originals can be found on eBay for six bucks. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file