Home› Q & A Forum
Options

Embedded small chain in head of Lincoln




I am not sure if I need to proceed with an appraisal or just slab it. This type of error is new to me, any advise would be grateful. Thanks

Comments

  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Welcome to the forum
    Is that line raised or concuse?

  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kcir said:
    I am not sure if I need to proceed with an appraisal or just slab it.

    From what I can see, it appears to be a plating blister. That is a common and minor type of error that doesn't add any interest or value to the coin. Alternatively, it might also be a small struck thru error or die crack, which might add a small amount of value to certain collectors, but not enough to justify having it slabbed.

    A good general rule of thumb is that errors valuable enough to be slabbed are not going to be found in your change; you might find one in several hundred thousand coins, for example, if you were doing large scale roll hunting. Another good rule is that until you study errors to learn what they look like, anything that you find is likely to be of little to no value or just post Mint damage.

    Forget about submitting any coins until you become more experienced and just focus on learning and enjoying the hobby.

  • Options

    It is definitely a chain embedded. I have the luxury of seeing it in person, most of the links are straight up and down with a few links laying down showing their shape. But I will also take your advise and not have it appraised/authenticated. I really appreciate your incite.

  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2026 10:42AM

    @Kcir said:
    It is definitely a chain embedded. I have the luxury of seeing it in person, most of the links are straight up and down with a few links laying down showing their shape.

    No, you are mistaken. Microscopic chains embedded in coins is not a thing. You are seeing it as a chain because of a phenomenon known as pareidolia. You can google that term for more information.

    The next time you see something unusual looking in your change, just tell yourself that it is another example of pareidolia.

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

    some peopl collect die cracks that pierce the skull. not that i know anyone. it's a word of mouth bit of info

    it is not a chain but caused by a cracked die

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Im in the die crack camp to

  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Die crack.
    A fun find!
    Wayne

    Kennedys are my quest...

Sign In or Register to comment.