Home U.S. Coin Forum

What causes ring toning on one side only?

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked up a PCI slab for my slab type set. I consider it a nice addition, but am curious about one sided, ring edge toning. The reverse is blast white.

Thank you for interest and comments!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't put much faith into that holder. It's a nice looking coin. Chances are its artificially toned. I could be wrong.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

The paper insert’s ozone to that side of the holder due to seal line that hermetically sealed access to back side of the holder but not the front I would guess

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read another recent post about the propensity of this ring toning in PCI holders. Curious to say the least.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

What causes ring toning on one side only?
    Part one.
    There has to be some kind of...
    cat·a·lyst
    /ˈkadləst/
    noun
    a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction.
    without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change.

• OldeTowneCoinShoppeOldeTowneCoinShoppe Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2024 12:10PM

In this case, what caused the one-sided toning is the fact that it was artificially applied.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2024 7:18AM

I’ve seen coins in albums (not talking about folders) tone on one side only, or significantly more so on one side. To balance them out, I’ll reverse them in the album for years. Even then it doesn’t always work. In those cases I assume either the “catalyst” has been consumed, or something on the surface of the lesser toned side is preventing it.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that it could be a coating on one side of a holder, maybe the PCI slab, maybe an album. Albums or holders that have a surface material that differs from the rest of the holder could be the cause. Maybe the obverse was in direct contact with a surface covering (like the blue material over the cardboard of a Library of Coins or Whitman folder) while the reverse wasn't.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where's TomB?

Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file