Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

93 SP Jeter fresh from pack. What would you grade it?

I have pulled a few Jeter 93 SP from packs recently and sent to get graded. It's my only experience with PSA so Im curious, if you sent the card below in, fresh from a pack, what would you expect it to grade? Corners are not perfect. Assume the grade is based only on what is visible. I understand that they have more involved analysis tools than viewing a JPEG. I'm not happy or mad with the actual grade, but, moreso, just want to see what people would expect so that I can get an idea on future PSA submissions.

Comments

• GrooGroo Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2024 2:31PM

HIGHLY Condition sensitive sub issue. 7-8 is most common on the 93 SP foils. If .5s were common I'd say you have a 7.5

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭

They are really tough on that card. Assuming there are no obscured wrinkles on the surface that don’t show in the photos I would put my chips on ‘7’.

• DanS832DanS832 Posts: 56 ✭✭

Not sure if its the scan but the top left doesn't look perfect. I'm saying a 8

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:

That seems to be the grade I've been getting on vintage more than anything lately. :'(

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2024 10:54AM

God I hate posts like this.......

Probably the surface scratching and the edges...... And that front bottom right corner....

• You all were pretty spot on. I have pulled 15 Jeters fresh from packs this summer and sent 12 into PSA. They all were 6.5-7.5 (majority were 7s) and I'm fine with that and can call it a bad investment buying 93 SP boxes. I just wanted to see what the board thought of it before telling the grade and to see if I had a tough grader. Of course, I'm glad I got responses before rufuss joined the conversation.

I've only used PSA one other time, about 10 years ago, to grade the 93 SP Jeter I had growing up. That one graded an 8 and these 12 from the packs are better quality from what I see. For sure at least some are. None are perfect, but I did expect 8-9s. In my experience, with these grades, it doesnt make sense to pay 2k for 93 SP boxes if you get an average of one Jeter per box and it grades a 7. Not sure how the market supports that.

I have heard that PSA has gotten tougher and that opens up a whole other discussion. My Jeter graded 10 years ago with multiple, visible damaged corners is worth more than every single one that I recently pulled from a pack. That's quite a feat.

I appreciate the input. I wanted to hear from the board before deciding whether to pay to send the other 3 in and share my experience with PSA then and now.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2024 12:30PM

I just can't believe you have sent in 15 Jeter's and never received a 5 before! That is hard to do.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most cards graded 10+ years ago are probably over-graded by 1 or 2 numbers compared to how they grade today. Maybe send one to BGS for poops & giggles!

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    Most cards graded 10+ years ago are probably over-graded by 1 or 2 numbers compared to how they grade today. Maybe send one to BGS for poops & giggles!

Most cards graded 3-18 years ago are probably correctly graded compared to how they grade today

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)