Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the most expensive coin you have cracked out and kept raw?

TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 14, 2024 11:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I break 99% of my coins out I simply prefer collecting raw coins in Mylar cardboard flips. Easier to store and I have no intentions of ever selling while am alive then whoever gets them can sell them raw.

Comments

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to crack any coin out. But you have me intrigued - what kind of coins do you collect?

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2024 11:37AM

@hummingbird_coins said:
    I have yet to crack any coin out. But you have me intrigued - what kind of coins do you collect?

Latin America reales. Most are 100$-200$ a few over 500$ and very few over 1000$. Anything over 500$ goes into my bank vault and stays there. Many are authentic to start with and any high numerical grades I own AU-50 or higher stay graded.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

None in 30 years. Any are now back in slabs. Sadly.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I last cracked out a coin to put in a raw page a couple of months ago. I think I paid about $100. I have almost never done that. I did crack out more expensive coins to go for a higher grade when I was a dealer. Then it was maybe up to thousand, but that was 20 years ago, and prices have changed a lot. A thousand was more money then.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited September 14, 2024 11:47AM

Not sure how much me breaking them out been authentic vs numerical grades for the most part changes much in their value. Probably very little. I collect them for their historical value vs monetary value anyways.

Even cracking out coins in VF (or lower) numerical probably changes the value very little as well.

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not totally sure of the exact price, but I think about $135 is the highest value I've cracked out.

edited September 14, 2024 1:04PM

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    The 93-S was an NGC G4. All of the bottom row were broken out of holders. Next in price would be the 94 P. No regrets. The 92-S & 93 P were bought raw. I enjoy coins in the album.

I usually have regrets for a few hour or at most a day (depending on value) then I no longer care if I broke it out. In the end it does not take much time to be at peace with my choice.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2024 12:57PM

@oldabeintx said:
    None in 30 years. Any are now back in slabs. Sadly.

That's on a sad note. I've been blessed to have some dealers that got just raw coin (mostly)
    Hope ya find some as well 🙏

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭

Most valuable was a $5 gold commem that needed a dip.

Then it was sold raw,

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2024 1:33PM

Do details certified coins count?

I have a 1795 flowing hair silver dollar i bought in a “VF details, cleaned” holder.

A perfect coin to crack out and pass around among family and friends.
    Who ever gets a chance to plop a big heavy naked coin like that into their hands?

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically I didn't have to crack this one out. If it were in a holder that's where it would have stayed.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't a very expensive coin but I wound up cracking this to help complete my SBA dansco.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said “This ~$200K Galba sestertius with a 1907 pedigree was a bit of a nail-biter to slam repeatedly with a hammer but a joy to hold raw.”

:o

I’ve cracked out a lot of coins over the years, but nothing of that magnitude!

Higashiyama
    edited September 14, 2024 5:38PM

@Higashiyama said:
    @SmEagle1795 said “This ~$200K Galba sestertius with a 1907 pedigree was a bit of a nail-biter to slam repeatedly with a hammer but a joy to hold raw.”

:o

I’ve cracked out a lot of coins over the years, but nothing of that magnitude!

Gotta love it as a raw coin collector myself!!!

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2024 8:03PM

edit- wrong thread

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2024 8:03PM

edit- wrong thread

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2024 6:09AM

I don’t crack expensive coins or hardly any coins period. Grading fees an extra expense of the business - plus selling raw expensive coins (and getting the money) tough. Good luck on that.

Coins & Currency
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would I crack out an S-VDB, 16-D, 3 Leg Buff or 55 DDO?...........No.

But I've cracked out significant coins for my 7070 (seated dollars), mostly to ensure they are genuine and problem free.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

But I've cracked out significant coins for my 7070 (seated dollars), mostly to ensure they are genuine and problem free.

Same here, I cracked a couple of $300-400 coins for my 7070, but when it came to my Lincoln set I actually sold my certified 09-S VDB and traded down to a circulated raw example that I could put guilt-free in my album.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    edited September 15, 2024 9:04AM

@Cougar1978 said:
    I don’t crack expensive coins or hardly any coins period. Grading fees an extra expense of the business - plus selling raw expensive coins (and getting the money) tough. Good luck on that.

Not selling and whatever my family gets after I die is what they get (they have good careers anyways). I enjoy my hobby this way and that adds value to me while I am alive.

You are a dealer I understand your point of view that selling graded coins is easier and values are more stable that way. I rather buy rare coins graded myself then crack them out. But as mentioned I will never sell my coins so if they are raw it is fine with me.

• oilers99oilers99 Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

I liberated a 09-S VDB (XF40) and a 22 no-D (VF35) from their PCGS slabs to finish my Dansco album. Thankfully there isn't a slot for the 55 DDO!

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

$4,100 FOR A VF-25 18/7-D buffalo for my 70-piece date,mm and major variety set.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
    edited September 17, 2024 7:00AM

@seanq said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Same here, I cracked a couple of $300-400 coins for my 7070, but when it came to my Lincoln set I actually sold my certified 09-S VDB and traded down to a circulated raw example that I could put guilt-free in my album.

Sean Reynolds

Even thought you could afford a higher grade coin, have you ever intentionally purchased a lesser grade coin just to match or have a consistent look with the rest of the album or 7070? I have, many times.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the Seated $1 for my 7070. I kept the "With Motto" holdered.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@lkenefic - Did you get a picture of the entire slab before you broke her out?

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Probably, but it didn't make it to the folder for my 7070. I've got (literally) 1000's of image files that I import from the SD card to the same folder on my laptop but the file names are just numbers. I suppose I could dig it out, but the point is moot... It's a raw coin.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@OAKSTAR said:

I always do and also keep the NGC or PCGS labels.

@lkenefic said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Probably, but it didn't make it to the folder for my 7070. I've got (literally) 1000's of image files that I import from the SD card to the same folder on my laptop but the file names are just numbers. I suppose I could dig it out, but the point is moot... It's a raw coin.

Exactly. I hope mine remain in the family but it only a matter of time before "ALL" our collections and coins end up in someone else's collection. These pictures and labels "MIGHT" help the seller.

@TheGoonies1985 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Where do you keep them?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2500-$4000. But only because a customer preferred them raw.

A few high grade peace dollars and Walking Liberty halves. Not my preference. I try to get the most valuable in plastic.

HE>I

@OAKSTAR said:

@TheGoonies1985 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Where do you keep them?

USB stick in my bank vault and labels in the same place with my better coins. They never leave there only USB stick when I have enough to add and also save them on my computer.

@TheGoonies1985 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@TheGoonies1985 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Where do you keep them?

USB stick in my bank vault and labels in the same place with my better coins. They never leave there only USB stick when I have enough to add and also save them on my computer.

Oh, okay. I was thinking you had the labels or pictures in the back of your albums.

@OAKSTAR said:

@TheGoonies1985 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@TheGoonies1985 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Where do you keep them?

Oh, okay. I was thinking you had the labels or pictures in the back of your albums.

Some do but I prefer my method just easier I find.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

93-S Morgan to complete my Dansco. All of the keys in my albums were cracked out of slabs.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file