Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is the alternative Grading scale catching on?

I’m struggling to understand it
;)

YCCTidewater.com

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, not with me. I was late to accepting the Sheldon scale and slabbing. So, who knows, maybe down the line (when I have no choice?).

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m struggling to accept the idiocy of it all.

HE>I

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it. A 5 point scale for ancients has existed for 10 or 20 years. It is much more intuitive for newbies.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

An answer to a question nobody was asking.

Recruit new collectors? How about concentrate on consistent grading standards and use that as a tool to receive more submissions. Revenue then can be utilized to exhibit at sports card shows and educate sports card collectors on the sheldon grading scale, its not rocket science.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

No clue what the criteria are, but on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give that a 6, at least as an Unc.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    No clue what the criteria are, but on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give that a 6, at least as an Unc.

1 to 10 is like 1 to 70, with 9.0-10 corresponding with grades MS60 through 70.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

And based on the photo, should be a 9 or 9.1.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the alternative Grading scale catching on?

No. But if it does moderns will lead the way. Can't fathom classics on a 100 point scale being widely accepted.

If they used whole numbers it might help a bit. NGC's X-scale? Not for me. Now if we Americans ever adopt the metric system.......................... ;)

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2024 11:22AM

Considering that NGC doesn't allow these 10 point graded coins into their registry I doubt it will "catch on" until NGC changes that policy.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    An answer to a question nobody was asking.

Recruit new collectors? How about concentrate on consistent grading standards and use that as a tool to receive more submissions. Revenue then can be utilized to exhibit at sports card shows and educate sports card collectors on the sheldon grading scale, its not rocket science.

Sure. But sports card collectors need little education on a 10 point scale since they already have one.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

No CAC.... 😆

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• MS66MS66 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

They can have my Sheldon 70 when they pull it out from my cold dead hands!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that’s a “9.4”, I’d hate to see a Mint State “9.0”. Is that the former MS-60 that’s been run through a meat grinder?

These guys don’t even have the “It’s a rare date so the grading is loose” excuse. This is a 1921 Morgan Dollar, the most common Morgan of them all.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new scale is a joke.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    The new scale is a joke.

How so?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen very few coins other than VaultBox and some bullion. A few out of China. It's still limited to bulk submitters, regular shmoews can't request it. And it seems to be de-emphasized ATS.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2024 3:20PM

The real question is how is that coin a 64? Yikes.

(edited to add the picture for those that don’t know about NGC’s stated cross reference)

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has the look of a 64, but with the sdcratch and the cheek gouge Id be inclined to net it to no more than 62, but preferably 61. At summer seminar, one of the things we were taught is that If you have to net something by 2 or more grades, thats when its time to put it in a deets holder.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2024 2:33AM

Looks over dipped to me and with a large scratch & gouge in prime focal area.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2024 6:12AM

No - they blowing in wind with me - view it as a fad. Wont invest money in them either.

Coins & Currency
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you define the correspondence like that, you've negated the new scale. It's just the same-old pig in updated lipstick.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, not with me. There’s more than enough of that already.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• JCH22JCH22 Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long term collectors are too heavily “invested” in the existing grading system to take a new grading scale seriously. I don’t think anybody with 100+ slabbed coins would seriously consider having all of them regraded, even with just a sticker, to a new grading system. But for newbies just starting or for moderns or NCLT bullion collectors it might make sense if the new grading system is somehow more intuitive to them, but it would be a turnoff to established collectors unless some kind of dual grading where both the old way and new way were shown. But even then, it would clutter up the labels too much.

Mr_Spud

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that if it does catch on, CACG will refuse to acknowledge the grades that end in an odd decimal and round down.

• So, a 70 is 7 times better than a 10? I think I got it now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file