Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's September 2024 LONG BEACH EXPO SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

So this report/photos will be a bit shorter than my usual reports because I am leaving for the Tampa show in the morning and have a lot of work to do before I head out. But I did manage to take a few photos around the bourse.

First, there have been discussions about the unusual airport-type security that was instituted at this show, and while it really didn't make much sense since coin show thieves don't usually need/use weapons to perform their nefarious tasks, I think trying some new security measures is better than doing nothing.

The screening didn't impact table holders as we were directed around the metal detectors so it didn't matter if we had any "personal protection devices" with us. I also understand that this new security protocol was instituted by the convention center, and not Collectors Universe. I also heard there were more undercover security guards wandering around the bourse, and I didn't hear that there were any theft issues at this show, so perhaps whatever measures good or bad that were in place did help discourage thievery.

I know that having the Tampa show butt up against this show caused some dealers who usually set up at the LB show not to participate in this show, especially some out of state dealers, but also some local ones too. However, even though there were a few empty tables towards the back of the room, the show was very busy on Thursday as usual, slow on Friday, and busty again on Saturday - which is typical for most large shows I attend. I've heard some folks mention that they think this show may be "dying," but this is the largest and best show in the west, so those of us on the side of the country really enjoy having a large show in the west and hope that Collectors Universe finds ways to keep this show going.

My boothmate Rich and I arrived at the show in time for noon set up on Wednesday, and yes it was very hot here in California this week, so we were "melting" during set up time since they don't turn the air conditioner on while the large loading doors are open.

I recently sold off my beautiful solid oak cases that I’ve had for almost 20 years because they were just getting heavier and heavier each year 😉. I bought these pretty gold toned cases (extra tall) that are MUCH lighter and easier to load.

This is me all set up and ready for business!

As usual, after I'm all set up I like to wander around the floor looking for inventory and coins for customer want lists. Here's what I found throughout the show, including a beautiful 1909-S VDB in PCGS MS65 RB and a gorgeous almost full red 1873 Indian cent in PCGS MS65 RB

I also found some decent raw/uncertified coins for my non-certified collector customers!

Here are some pics around the bourse during set up

One booth had some very cool antique firearms

Andy Wedding at GreatCollections

Later in the afternoon, of course, it was time to open the first bottle of wine! I brought this very nice Justin zinfandel (from Paso Robles) and shared it with a couple other dealers so it didn't last very long!

That night we went to La Parrolaccia which is a new Italian restaurant we recently discovered and loved their food. The sauces are amazing and their pasta is homemade! I highly recommend this restaurant!

We brought our own wine as usual!

Thursday morning we arrived early and took a couple pics of the PCGS table before the crowds started lining up!

There was quite a long line of folks waiting to enter the bourse, and when they were finally let in, those at the front of the line walked very quickly to whatever table they had chosen to begin their searching!

My wonderful webmaster Ryan Delane/Website Maintenance and Design, stopped by and gave me a pretty encased Lincoln cent as a gift!

I was very busy most of the day, sold quite a few coins and bought some nice pieces as well. The day flew by and I wasn't able to take many photos.

That night we went to 555 Steakhouse. Even though it's just behind the convention center and has been a popular place for many dealers, I hadn't been there before. It is now one of my favorite Long Beach restaurants! The steak was cooked to perfection, and they have no corkage (for the first 12 bottles)! Karl and Joanne Stephens, my boothmate Rich Wogoman, Rick Snow and Ron Guth

Right next to our table was another group of dealers, including Walt Ankerman and his "posse."

They had ordered a delicious 2014 Erath Pino in a 1.5 liter bottle and shared it with me!

We had a great time, the food was wonderful, and I can't wait to go back!

Friday morning I took some photos around the bourse floor.

James Sego was hard at work already!

Heritage had the most beautiful high grade Lincoln cents from the Whispering Pines Collection, including the 1943 copper and 1944 steel cents, not to mention a gorgeous 1955/55 Doubled Die in PCGS MS65 RED!

Heritage lot viewing table

ANACS table

Friday was the typical slow day but I ended up having some decent sales, and found a few more things to buy. My friend Alan Weinberg brought me some new scarce pieces I didn't have for my Penny Pocket Mirror collection

Noah Lehmann stopped by - he also appreciates nice wine!

Nathanial Paxson and his group are my booth very nice booth neighbors!

My friend Diane Wuller, Nathanial and me!

My new showcases went very well with my yellow jacket! I'm thinking of using this photo for my website that's being updated.

That night we went to our usual King's Fish House for dinner just up Pine Street behind the convention center. It was a beautiful evening!

They also have free corkage and since we enjoy tasting different wines, we brought our own bottles to share

They have the best macadamia nut crusted halibut I've ever had! Rich and I decided to split our meal because neither one of us can ever finish the entire dish.

Saturday was the kids' Pirate Treasure Trivia hunt, in which I enjoy participating. We must have had over 50 kids stop by our table!

When things slowed down a bit, I walked around the bourse, including at the back of the room where the sports section is and took some photos - there were a lot of people in line at various tables and several waiting for the sports Meet the Experts. Even though several dealers had already left, the bourse was still quite busy on Saturday.

Soon, once again, it was time to pack up and head out. I was anxious to get home as I had a lot of post-show work to do (including preparing this report!), and needed to organize and pack for my trip to Tampa on Monday.

Even though my hubby is out of town, I still had lil ol Penny waiting for me at home!

As I mentioned, next up is the Great American Coin Show in Tampa where I'll be doing a much more extensive show report!

Charmy Harker
The Penny Lady®

Comments

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭

Wonderful! See you in Tampa next week!

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great writeup and photos, as usual.

This heat wave in L.A. is brutal! B):s

Thank you.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always enjoy your reports. :)

Thank you!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2024 6:53PM

The show seemed to go to considerable lengths to promote the special pandas minted at the Shanghai Mint to commemorate the Expo and the Year of the Dragon.

I didn't get over to booth 618 until they were sold out though, including the 12-ounce gold ones. They minted 6 of them. I did ask them the selling price: $39k! For 12 ounces of gold? That's $3,250/oz. No thanks and GOOD LUCK to the buyers.

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭

Always appreciate the time and effort you take for great show reports. Thanks for posting.

• abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I passed by your table a few times as I wanted to introduce myself but your table was always busy! I will make sure to stop by at Tampa in a few days. Safe travels!

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, good to know that dealers with tables didn't have to go through the metal detectors with all their coins. Did dealers have to go through the detectors on subsequent days ?

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    Thanks for the report, good to know that dealers with tables didn't have to go through the metal detectors with all their coins. Did dealers have to go through the detectors on subsequent days ?

No we never had to.

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again for your time to assemble these reports. Stunning 55 DD.
    Like those penny pocket items.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 1944 steel cent/penny. Great report as well 👍

• goldengolden Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short but sweet, have fun in Tampa.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always, a great show report.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the enjoyable show report and all the pictures. :)

• scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the show reports.

I had to laugh a bit scrolling your photos. I love a good wine too and know you do as well ;)

I recently did a virtual professional event with a wine tasting from Paso Robles so I know and enjoy it very much.

Very impressed by their reds!

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report Charmy, nobody does it better.
    How many of those display cases belong to the Penny Lady?

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for as I always say, your show report.
    🍷🍷🍷 enjoying currently.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Nice to see a couple of Oregonians manning the ANACS table:
    Dennis Fuoss and Bill Coburn. Nice guys and helpful, no doubt.

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

Great report Charmy, nobody does it better.
    How many of those display cases belong to the Penny Lady?

All 4 of the gold cases you see in the photo are the ones I just purchased for use when I drive to shows (I rent cases when I fly). They really are so much easier and lighter to handle than the wooden cases,

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos of the kids are wonderful. The little girl - priceless!

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file