Home U.S. Coin Forum

Long Beach Expo Sept 2024 Show Report - from the perspective of a newbie dealer

Hi everyone!

Most of you don't know me - I haven't been on the forums for very long and have been actively dealing for an even shorter time. So first let me introduce myself: my name is Abby and I recently dove head-first into the world of coin dealing.

Over the last few months I have been buying coins in Japan, bringing them here to the U.S., and selling them online. At ANA last month, I noticed there was a lack of Japanese coins, and so I figured I might as well give the show a circuit a shot - my coins have been selling well enough on eBay and GreatCollections to indicate that there is decent demand here.

As of early August I had built up a nice inventory and decided I wanted to start sooner rather than later, so I signed up for the next major show on the docket: Long Beach Expo. I went into this experience with low expectations from a sales perspective for two reasons: 1) many people see this as a dying show with poor attendance/sales and 2) it is my first time! So with that in mind, I set the following goals for myself:

• I wanted to get my name out there to other dealers and to Japanese coin collectors
  • I wanted to sell at least 1 coin a day
  • and most importantly, I wanted to have FUN!

Now that the show is over, I can happily say that I achieved all of these goals and I am excited to share with you guys my report along with a few pictures.

Wednesday Sept 4th, Setup/Dealer Day

I woke up at 3:30 AM to catch my 6 AM flight out of Baltimore. I am a United girl so IAD is typically my home airport, but with LAX being a focus city for United I was happy to only have to drive a short distance to BWI. The flight was uneventful, but the plane was uncomfortably hot so I wasn't able to get much sleep.

I landed at around 9 AM at LAX, grabbed my bags, and hopped in an Uber to the Hyatt Regency connected to the convention center. I was pleasantly surprised that there was not much traffic, so barely 30 minutes later I was checking in. Thankfully my room was ready so I could rest a bit before setup opened at noon.

Setup was a whirlwind even with the help of an assistant. I tried to be prepared as possible (thanks to all those who chimed in on my previous thread), but still forgot some small things. Luckily Noah with @rarity7 and his friend Ashley were well-prepared and more than willing to lend me anything I needed. Huge shoutout to both of you guys for making this way less stressful than it should have been for my first time!

I spent a lot of time arranging my coins and their little price/info labels in the case - I wanted everything to look nice and easily readable without being too crowded. Here is what a couple of my cases looked like:

I decided I wanted to have these little easels because it made it easy to put my remarks about the coins - since I was figuring a lot of people taking a gander wouldn't know much/anything about japanese coins, it gave me an opportunity to point out which were key dates/tougher dates, population info, etc. as well as the price. I lost count of the number of compliments I got on them, so while it is time consuming, I will definitely be doing this for every show going forward.

Anyway, not 5 minutes passed by after finishing setting up the display cases that dealers started coming by to scout my goods. I ended up selling 3 coins to other dealers who were looking for some higher grade stuff to put in their world cases. Shortly after, a dealer named Will Fragner stopped by who was delighted to see a large selection of Japanese coins on display. I was thrilled to have a nice chat with somebody else who was interested in the same things I was.

After a few hours my assistant and I packed up and headed back to the hotel. The thrill of the dealer day was turning into anticipation for the first real day for me as a dealer.

Thursday Sept 5th, Day 1

I got up early and met my assistant in the lobby for breakfast, where we excitedly talked about the day ahead of us. After enjoying a nice breakfast sandwich, we headed over to the venue. As we were walking towards our table, Will Fragner flagged us down saying he wanted to show me something. He had three Japanese coins that he recently acquired but didn't know much about:

I was so excited to see these coins as not only are they in excellent condition, they are pretty rare even in Japan. Accompanying the coins were some photocopied pages of an old Japanese book with information on them, and Will was happy to hear that I was already working on getting that book translated. I also brought over a book (in English) that he hadn't seen before that had some info on them. It was very validating that I was able to provide some help to somebody who had so much more knowledge and experience than me.

At this point it was about 30 minutes before opening, so I went back to my table to get settled. Two more dealers stopped by and I made a few more sales so the day was already off to a good start.

Before I knew it, the bourse opened to the public and people started streaming in. I wanted to get as much foot traffic as possible so I got a table right near the entrance, and I was happy to see that the more unique-looking Japanese coins (the big gold ovals) were catching people's eyes just as I had hoped. Many stopped to ask questions and expressed that they had never seen anything like them before. I had a really nice discussion with an older gentleman who didn't collect Japanese coins but was interested in the things I was explaining about them. At the end of our talk he decided to buy a coin - I think as more of a thank you for my time than a true interest in collecting them, but either way it was a great interaction.

Traffic slowed down a bit throughout the day and while there were a lot of people taking a glance at what I had for sale, nobody else purchased anything. But I had already met my goal of 1 coin sold so I was happy, and I also was comforted by the fact that many dealers of U.S. coins that I talked to didn't sell any/very many either.

The day ended as quickly as it began and I found myself back at the hotel excited for day 2.

Friday Sept 6th, Day 2

Day 2 was a bit more relaxed in the morning as by that point all of the dealers had already scoped out what I had. When the bourse opened, there seemed to be fewer people coming in, but it's hard to really tell when your perspective is from just one section of the floor.

Again there were a lot of people that stopped to look at what I had, including some people that were collectors of Japanese coins who expressed a lot of excitement that there was someone there with an entire table of them. I made a sale and gave some Hansatsu (Japanese bookmark money - see the bottom of the first picture in this thread) to anybody, but especially kids, who showed interest in what I had to offer.

Foot traffic died down a few hours after opening but quickly picked back up in the early afternoon, as it seemed a lot of people were taking off work early to head to the show. I ended the day selling 3 coins and getting contact info for a couple people who were interested in starting Japanese collections.

Once again the day flew by and I was back at my hotel ready for the final day.

Saturday Sept 7th, Day 3

The final day started off strong - I was getting tons of foot traffic and quickly sold one of the few U.S. coins I had on display, a really nice IHC proof. Shortly thereafter somebody came by who was just starting a world type set and bought an excellent MS63 example of the first year of the Japanese yen. However by lunch time many dealers had already left and the morning rush was starting to leave, so the bourse was starting to feel empty. I took that opportunity to leave the table and try to sell a couple things I had. One was a large gold contemporary counterfeit Japanese Oban that I had picked up last month. The dealer in Japan that I bought it from (whom I have dealt with a lot and trust very much) told me that it was 60% gold and he was asking melt. The first gold buyer I stopped at put it in their XRF machine and I was surprised to see the results:

67%! I was able to easily sell it for melt and so I made a quick and easy 7% on a pretty big chunk of gold.

I then stopped by the Select Rarities table to chat with John about a coin I had. I met him at ANA last month and learned that he was the goto guy for Trade Dollar die varieties, so I thought he would be an excellent person to ask if my Japanese coin was a double die or just machine doubled. He took a glance and very quickly and confidently said it was a true double die. This was really exciting for me because I had never come across any double-died Japanese coins. It's hard to get a good pic from my phone but here it is:

By this point, the show had really died down so I spent some time checking out tables that I hadn't gotten to yet. I ended up finding a raw Japanese Koban in excellent condition from an era that is hard to find clean, unchopped examples of. We ended up agreeing on a price so I was happy to make my first deal as a buyer.

I returned to my table and started to pack up since traffic was really starting to die down.

Summary/final thoughts

What an exhausting and exhilirating three days! Overall, I am extremely happy with how things went. Sales-wise I only did about $15k in sales, but that meant enough profit to cover my show expenses. And as this was not only my first show, but also a "dying" show, I think it can only get better from here. Looking back at the goals I had set for myself, I had succeeded in all of them, and I am super excited to setup at next week's show in Tampa.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I want to shout out @rarity7 and Ashley again for being so helpful, and to @PeakRarities for all of his advice and putting up with all of my questions! See you guys in Tampa!

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was there Thursday and I remember looking at your coins displayed in the cases, they looked very nice.

Mr_Spud

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

Nice write-up! See you in Tampa next week! Have a nice trip eastbound! Karl

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for an excellent report! I'm delighted to hear about your success but not surprised at all. Fragner has been on the California circuit for a long time and is good people.

• abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I was there Thursday and I remember looking at your coins displayed in the cases, they looked very nice.

Thanks for stopping by!

@knovak1976 said:
    Nice write-up! See you in Tampa next week! Have a nice trip eastbound! Karl

Thank you, please say hi at the show if you have time!

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the write up. That Japanese gold is pretty cool. I think @PeakRarities posted one of those recently.

@lermish said:
    Thank you for an excellent report! I'm delighted to hear about your success but not surprised at all. Fragner has been on the California circuit for a long time and is good people.

Thanks for taking the time to read it :) And yes he is a really nice guy, it'll be worth it to go to future Long Beach shows if only to connect with him again.

@pcgscacgold said:
    Thanks for the write up. That Japanese gold is pretty cool. I think @PeakRarities posted one of those recently.

Yes he did! When I met him at ANA he showed me a picture of his and told me he was interested in adding more. P.S. @PeakRarities , this one just got back from PCGS and will be with me at Tampa: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/50432400

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool report, thanks for posting, couple of Japanese coins for the post

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great first show report, @abbyme24. What was your table number as I remember a couple of dealers near the entrance with great displays of foreign coins.

I spent most of my time with Noah and Ashley as well but I did circle the entire bourse several times.

Good luck in Tampa!

Tim

@Crypto said:
    Cool report, thanks for posting, couple of Japanese coins for the post

No problem and thank you for posting those sweet chopped coins! I don't think I've come across a Taisho-era chopped one yet.

@pointfivezero said:
    Great first show report, @abbyme24. What was your table number as I remember a couple of dealers near the entrance with great displays of foreign coins.

I spent most of my time with Noah and Ashley as well but I did circle the entire bourse several times.

Good luck in Tampa!

Tim

Thanks Tim, I was at Table 603, just opposite of the Heritage consignment tables and next to Tortuga Trading.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abbyme24 said:

@pointfivezero said:

Good luck in Tampa!

Tim

Thanks Tim, I was at Table 603, just opposite of the Heritage consignment tables and next to Tortuga Trading.

Thanks Abby. I remember your table well. Very nicely organized and a prime location:

Congrats on a great first show!

Tim

• littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your show report. Loved reading it!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! You made me excited just reading your post. That’s excellent and you seem like the kinda person our field desperately needs. Congrats on a job well done.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read! Thanks for taking the time to document your experience. Super interesting perspective.

I walked by your table at least 5 or 6 times, and was very impressed with your presentation. Very professional setup. Well done!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@littlebear said:
    Thank you for your show report. Loved reading it!

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    Wow! You made me excited just reading your post. That’s excellent and you seem like the kinda person our field desperately needs. Congrats on a job well done.

Thank you both!

@winesteven said:
    While I collect only U.S. coins, I chose to read your entire post, and loved it. My goal was to see how your experience was as a first time dealer at a “major” show. Kudos to you for your positive experience, as well as your great writing style!

With you having interacted with Noah and Ashley, and then Dan, you struck gold! They are always willing to help and educate in an unbiased fashion. You’ve established GREAT contacts!

Safe and uneventful travels to Tampa. Have a good show! You’ll get a LOT more foot traffic, both from dealers as well as collectors! Make sure you have plenty of inventory AND energy!

I really like how you posted your prices - so easy to see! That saves you time, and collectors as well.

I only go to the Winter and Summer FUN shows in Orlando, so if you have a table there, I’ll stop by. Since the Tampa Show promoters are having their next show in Ft. Lauderdale at the beginning of April, I’ll be there too.

Best wishes for success and fun!

Steve

Steve, thanks for the kind words! I have seen your posts a lot both here and on the CAC forums and I really admire your knowledge and collecting style, so that means a lot.

Yes I have struck gold with the contacts I have made so far, including @lermish who in addition to being helpful in his own right was the one who put me in touch with Noah. They have all given me great insight and advice.

Yes I will have plenty of inventory for Tampa, in a way I’m glad I didn’t sell too many coins because I wanted to make sure I had plenty to offer! And while the turnaround is tight I do have some packages waiting for me at home with some fresh stuff.

I will definitely have a table at winter FUN so it would be great if you could stop by, I’m looking forward to meeting you!

@Dave99B said:
    Great read! Thanks for taking the time to document your experience. Super interesting perspective.

I walked by your table at least 5 or 6 times, and was very impressed with your presentation. Very professional setup. Well done!!!

Dave

Thanks Dave, glad you enjoyed the read and thanks for the feedback!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very informative read. Glad to see you broke the ice with your first show with a positive result.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a tremendous, well-written report. Thank you.

I will be sure to look you up at FUN and to learn about this slice of numismatics!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must say, that was a great show report from a new dealers perspective. Very well written.

I love how your display cases are set up, uncrowded and with easy to read prices.

I want to wish you the best of luck in all your future shows.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for a very enjoyable read.
    It is nice to hear that you had a good time and that you had a positive experience at this show.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing show report! I was in Japan last month, but didn’t have time for any numismatic pursuits. I’ll be sure to stop by in Tampa this week.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well done on the show . . . .and the report! You have a perfect path to success . . . great drive, a unique numismatic niche, and great presentation. Good luck . . .and perhaps we'll meet in the future!

Drunner

edited September 8, 2024 10:39AM

Hi Abby…one suggestion I have (in case I just missed it) might be to edit your initial wonderful post where you introduce yourself and put your business/company name in the post and maybe in bold letters. I know it is ‘Rising Sun Rarities’ from seeing it shown in your table location post later in this thread, but haven’t see it anywhere else. If it is listed, please accept my apology! See you in a few days!

edited September 8, 2024 11:40AM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Very informative read. Glad to see you broke the ice with your first show with a positive result.

@Catbert said:
    What a tremendous, well-written report. Thank you.

I will be sure to look you up at FUN and to learn about this slice of numismatics!

Thanks, glad you guys enjoyed the read!

@oih82w8 said:
    First thing I noticed, your price labels are terrific! No guessing on the buyers part.

Thank you for sharing your perspective from the other side of the table.

I waffled back and forth for a while because in another thread I posted some dealers gave some good reasons for not posting prices. But I figured it would be easier to start with the price easels on display and then take them out if I changed my mind than vice versa. And based on the feedback at the show and here, they will definitely be something I continue with.

@divecchia said:
    I must say, that was a great show report from a new dealers perspective. Very well written.

I love how your display cases are set up, uncrowded and with easy to read prices.

I want to wish you the best of luck in all your future shows.

Donato

Appreciate the feedback and well wishes Donato! >

@WAYNEAS said:

Thank you for a very enjoyable read.
    It is nice to hear that you had a good time and that you had a positive experience at this show.
    Wayne

Thanks Wayne, glad you enjoyed it, I’ll make sure to do another one for Tampa.

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Amazing show report! I was in Japan last month, but didn’t have time for any numismatic pursuits. I’ll be sure to stop by in Tampa this week.

That’s awesome! What parts were you in?

And yes please stop and say hi!

@DRUNNER said:
    Very well done on the show . . . .and the report! You have a perfect path to success . . . great drive, a unique numismatic niche, and great presentation. Good luck . . .and perhaps we'll meet in the future!

Drunner

Thanks Drunner, means a lot to hear that. I will be at every major show at least for the 2024-2025 circuit so hopefully we will have a chance to meet!

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome show report; terrific, interesting read! Looks like your initial show was a great success - CONGRATS!
    You sell (& buy) eclectic numismatic material that I’m totally not familiar with. I’m looking forward to stopping by your table in Tampa to see what you have in hand. Looks like a much bigger show than LB; many of us have high expectations! Rising Sun Rarities - got it (& sparing you from saying it here lol).
    Ken

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

@abbyme24 said:

@knovak1976 said:
    Hi Abby…one suggestion I have (in case I just missed it) might be to edit your initial wonderful post where you introduce yourself and put your business/company name in the post and maybe in bold letters. I know it is ‘Rising Sun Rarities’ ……

Hey so it’s not listed because especially as a new member I didnt want this post to come off as spammy/self-promoting. At some point I will add it to my signature and probably put my logo as my avatar.

Looking forward to meeting you in Tampa!

Good point! Thanks…and see you soon! Not familiar with Japanese coins but lived in Okinawa for a few years as a kid!

• willywilly Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report. I also agree your display layout and showing prices is great. I have passed many dealers because of the lack of pricing on the slabs. Have a great Tampa trip and show

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice show report! Good luck moving forward. I'm going to send you a PM about a few coins I have that you might want!

Cheers,
    Greg
    Beachcomber coins, HI

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great first show report! Thanks.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was great seeing and talking with you at greater length this time, Abby. (We met last month at the Rosemont show.) One would never have guessed this was your entry into show setup. Your booth was well organized and thoughtfully laid out. Nice position, too, in the front of the bourse.

@Copperindian said:
    Awesome show report; terrific, interesting read! Looks like your initial show was a great success - CONGRATS!
    You sell (& buy) eclectic numismatic material that I’m totally not familiar with. I’m looking forward to stopping by your table in Tampa to see what you have in hand. Looks like a much bigger show than LB; many of us have high expectations! Rising Sun Rarities - got it (& sparing you from saying it here lol).
    Ken

Thanks Ken, yes expectations seem really high for Tampa. I am going to try to keep my own expectations tempered, but at the very least I am excited to meet collectors and dealers that weren't at LB. Looking forward to meeting you!

@knovak1976 said:
    Good point! Thanks…and see you soon! Not familiar with Japanese coins but lived in Okinawa for a few years as a kid!

Ah, a military brat I presume! I am a few generations removed from that, but the reason I became interested in Japanese stuff (well before my coin endeavor) is because my grandma is Japanese - she met my grandpa when he was stationed in Japan.

@willy said:
    Great show report. I also agree your display layout and showing prices is great. I have passed many dealers because of the lack of pricing on the slabs. Have a great Tampa trip and show

@SurfinxHI said:
    Nice show report! Good luck moving forward. I'm going to send you a PM about a few coins I have that you might want!

Cheers,
    Greg
    Beachcomber coins, HI

Thanks for the well wishes!

@alefzero said:
    It was great seeing and talking with you at greater length this time, Abby. (We met last month at the Rosemont show.) One would never have guessed this was your entry into show setup. Your booth was well organized and thoughtfully laid out. Nice position, too, in the front of the bourse.

I had to check with Jeremy to see if he knew who you were - I was worried I had talked to somebody at LB that I forgot I had met already in Rosemont :D It was great seeing you again John and appreciate you taking the time to chat.

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 395 ✭✭✭

Very well written. A pleasure to read. Wishing you success in your effort.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file