Home U.S. Coin Forum

Basic Coin Photography question

redraiderredraider Posts: 171 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 6, 2024 5:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

There are tons of Photography threads on the forum and I love how some of the veterans are willing to help newbies with photos! I could not find this answer to my problem in any of the existing threads.

I received a new copy stand (thank you @in2coins) and have been playing around with a new camera and lens as well.

My photos are greatly improving, but I still have a lingering problem that hopefully I can get some help with. The focus is on the middle of the coin and the top and bottom of the coin in my photos are not completely in focus. Is this an aperture thing, or something else? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Im still playing with lights, but the color in the photos is very realistic to the coin in hand. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

BTW, there is a small scuff on the slab covering L in LIBERTY.

Comments

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure that the coin and lens are perfectly parallel, and then I use an F stop of F-8 to F-10. That should fix your problem.

Coin Photographer.

• in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭

What camera body are you using? Reason I asked is that I had a similar out of focus issue on the outer periphery of a coin with Sony a7r I borrowed from a friend. I wanted to test one before buying.

I’ve always used Canon and Nikon bodies paired with Canon and Nikon macro lenses. I’ve used the lenses with both bodies with an “adapter” and never seen an out of focus issue.

With the Sony a7r, I paired it with a Nikon macro lens with correct adapter and as shown below, the Sony camera pic shows similar out of focus like yours compares to Nikon lens on a Canon body.

Test comparison below.

• redraiderredraider Posts: 171 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I’m using a Nikon Z7ii with a Nikon 105mm Macro lens. I hope to have more time tomorrow to play around with this entire new setup. Will post results when I have something new to share.

• in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2024 5:53PM

Nice camera! If your lens has image stabilization, I would turn it off.

And as FlyingAI mentioned, increasing your f stop will definitely sharpen up the photo. I always pay close attention to his suggestions 👍🏼!

Nice coin by the way!!

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @FlyingAl said, the issue appears to be an issue with the aperture being open too much/not enough depth of field tied with the surface of the coin not being parallel to the imaging sensor. It could be that the slab you are shooting is parallel, but the coin in the holder is not. If that is the case, you may need to shim the slab a bit to get the coin to be parallel. If the coin is parallel to the surface of the slab, then it's got to be an issue with the camera sensor and table surface you are shooting on.

Increasing your f stop value too much will start to introduce diffraction which will rob your of image sharpness. It should not be too much of an issue at around f/11 but getting up to f/16 and above it will start to rear it's ugly head, especially as the magnification increases. I suggest the range that FlyingAl mentioned above. Good luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file