Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mineral Oil for Coin Slab Photos - Before-n-after

BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up a lovely 1836 LM-2 half dime at the ANA in Pittsburgh this past week. Today was photo day. My motivation is to have a digital record of my set that I can refer to - because the coins go live in a bank box, and they're too doggone small to see anyway when I'm trying to compare or study them.

This coin had a few scuffs on the holder - especially one by Liberty's nose - that made my first pics unsatisfactory. So, since it's a rainy Sunday afternoon, I decided to experiment with shooting through mineral oil. See the before (left side) and after below. Same camera, lights, and minimalist post-processing in both sets.

The key supplies I used: mineral oil, a suction ball to control dispensing the oil, a funnel to drain the slab, and a glass to catch the drained oil. (Not pictured, plenty of soft microfiber towels to wipe the slabs off.) Since I will probably do this again, I'll speed up the workflow next time by putting a screen over a shallow catch pan to drain the oil into. That way I can just flip the slab and let the obverse drain while I oil-n-shoot the reverse - then flip it again and slide it off to the side to finish draining the reverse, allowing me to get right to the next coin(s) as needed.

If anyone's curious, here's the PCGS TrueView for this coin. Clearly a Ginger type of look, but I'm more a fan of MaryAnne.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Comments

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious to see if after the oil on the slab eventually dries, if the scuffs don't come back. Looks good for now though.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you considered Verdi-care?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice result.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Have you considered Verdi-care?

Does Verdi-care work for scratched slabs?

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice image improvement. Love the half dime, that's a fun die marriage that won't break the bank. Yours is PQ, good pick up.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2023 5:33PM

One of the popular dedicated coin slab products was unavailable last I checked due to inability to get ingredients.

http://www.slabrenew.com/home.html

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just raid the kitchen for cooking oil (not olive oil).
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great info in this thread, really appreciate the ideas kicking around here! I didn't clarify very well: my use of the oil was just for the duration of the photo session. BUT, seeing that there are some decent (automotive?) products, @OAKSTAR, I may just try to conserve a few of my scruffier slabs!

@Mr_Spud, that compass oil looks even better than mineral oil. I may get a little bottle of it and just do a side-by-side. Now that I see what this can do for me, I fear I have some re-takes coming up.

@Cladiator, you know the feeling when you get a sweet coin that fills a spot! I had a lower-grade coin in an NGC slab but it didn't cross at the right grade for my PCGS set so I was pleased.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't heard this before. Learn something new every day here.
    Oakstar, I would like to know more about your " conserving " slabs. Products used, in what order and how you go about it.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2023 7:13PM

And unlike buffing, it works on NGC slabs that are scuffed up too. Sorry, I don’t have a better “before” picture, but you can see that it has whitish splotchy scratch/scuff marks right over the portrait of Liberty that totally are invisible with the compass oil on it.
    You can barely see Liberty through the white splotchy scuff marks, I think someone tried to buff it and it made it worse

Here’s with the compass oil on it

Mr_Spud

edited August 13, 2023 7:12PM

This is pretty much it @Tom147. A couple of squirts of the clear liquid lubricant on the slab and a few dabs of the white paste compound on a clean cotton cloth. Circular motion on the slab. Repeat as needed. No drills, grinders, power tools or heavy equipment!! Just elbow grease. I didn't need or use the lens sealing wipe or the lens base coat wipe.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having trouble reading the Turtle Wax bottle on the left. If you could identify that container I would be forever grateful. Looks like a trip to the auto parts store in the morning. Thank you so much for your reply. Like I said, learn something new everyday here and I've been at it for 59 years.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plastix does a good job clearing up slabs as well.

• VasantiVasanti Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t put anything like that on a slab, particularly if it has a volatile chemicals in it. They can move through the slab to the coin.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually just use music cd scratch remover for scratched slabs especially before crossover tries with minimum grades.
    Cheap and it wipes off the slab clean when dry and no residue. Easier than sending in for reholder.

The compass oil idea above does appear to work very well for quick photos.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    This is pretty much it @Tom147. A couple of squirts of the clear liquid lubricant on the slab and a few dabs of the white paste compound on a clean cotton cloth. Circular motion on the slab. Repeat as needed. No drills, grinders, power tools or heavy equipment!! Just elbow grease. I didn't need or use the lens sealing wipe or the lens base coat wipe.

great info shared here, thanks!

Have you ever seen any damage to the coin in the slab, somehow, or the amount used on the slab is too small?

@marcmoish said:

@OAKSTAR said:

great info shared here, thanks!

Have you ever seen any damage to the coin in the slab, somehow, or the amount used on the slab is too small?

Zero damage to any coin in the slab. If there was ever any inclination of any damage to any coin, I would never even attempt this!

The amount of this product used on the slab is completely subjective by the user.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally figured that much.

Was just asking so "everyone" else gets it.

@marcmoish said:
    I totally figured that much.

Was just asking so "everyone" else gets it.

Thanks for asking.

@Mr_Spud - love that 1800 half dime! One way I got around the problem of NGC holders, with the shadows at the periphery on the side of my main lights, was to put a little third fill light shining in the opposite direction. I'm going to try to tweak the brightness of that third light (now that I'm using the oil, which changes up the whole look-n-feel) so as not to "flatten" the image with too much light and hide any luster.

And all this makes me think, kudos to the great photographers on the boards, because it's part science and part art and it ain't easy.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. I like the die crack in the LM-2

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• VasantiVasanti Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of “compass oil” is actually a chemical called Isopar L, which is a hydrocarbon isoparaffin. It’s also a solvent.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

The no glare part makes me want try it now. Thanks @Mr_Spud.

• ZwiggyZwiggy Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

@Vasanti said:
    Lots of “compass oil” is actually a chemical called Isopar L, which is a hydrocarbon isoparaffin. It’s also a solvent.

Isopar solvents are easily available in the homecare industry, some (like L and M) are odorless, non-toxic and volatilize very slowly - so they will stay around for the photo shoot and disappear about 1-2 hours later if you do a basic paper napkin blot. They are pretty pure and being an isoparaffin - have no ability to ooze into or destroy acrylics (of which the slabs are made of). One shouldn’t worry about destroying the coin inside at all but should careful the slab isn’t cracked though.

The lack of glare is pretty cool!

edited August 15, 2023 8:53PM

Yes, the compass oil I’m using is isoparaffin, Isopar L. Here’s the Material safety data sheet for the Isopar L which is what Ritchie Compass Oil is made of
    https://www.ritchienavigation.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Isopar-L-MSDS.pdf
    My biggest problem is that I only started using it when I was about 1/2 way through imaging all my slabbed coins, so 1/2 of them don't look as good as the other half. I had brought them all home at once in 2020 and took them back to the bank safety deposit box after I took the pictures of them so it was too much trouble to bring the ones back home that I already took pictures of so I just live with that😧

Mr_Spud

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always have a small dropper bottle of unscented lamp oil, a bottle of PlastX, and a rag with me when I go to shows. It's quite a bit thinner than mineral oil. The oil is usually all I need to make scratches disappear for photos. Sometimes I need to polish the slabs. Once in a while, the slab is beyond repair. The oil is also good at removing sticker goo from slabs.

@Mr_Spud, I finally got a pint of the Ritchie compass "oil," but the product that just arrived is "SH-0154 compass fluid," and it seems pretty thin - like it might run off the slab pretty quickly. Just checking with you before I open the bottle - is there a thicker oil product I shoulda gotten, or is this the right thing? The fine print on the label says it's ISOPAR L, with a composition of "Aliphatic hydrocarbons CAS #64742-48-9." (PS. Now my hands are tired after typing that. heheh)

@Bikergeek said:
    @Mr_Spud, I finally got a pint of the Ritchie compass "oil," but the product that just arrived is "SH-0154 compass fluid," and it seems pretty thin - like it might run off the slab pretty quickly. Just checking with you before I open the bottle - is there a thicker oil product I shoulda gotten, or is this the right thing? The fine print on the label says it's ISOPAR L, with a composition of "Aliphatic hydrocarbons CAS #64742-48-9." (PS. Now my hands are tired after typing that. heheh)

That’s the right stuff, Isopar L. It’s isoparrafin which is volatile mineral oil. It’s thinner than mineral oil because it’s volatile, meaning it slowly evaporates. I like that because the residue after you wipe it off just evaporates off of the slab.

Mr_Spud

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file