Home U.S. Coin Forum

Barber dime

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd get a few opinions on this 1895-o Barber dime that is bent. Authentic or no?

Comments

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an expert but looks real

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is some kind of black substance on the surface; also on the bent issue I used a vice with plexiglass to get it out and made some progress.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2024 3:20PM

Tough to tell…..the black stuff. Looks horrible.

Would suggest a dip but seems too far gone. Obv rim damaged.

Start it at 98c on the Bay, get rid of it lol.

Coins & Currency
  • The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks legit to me, just has seen some better days.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has an appearance similar to some silver coins I have dug up metal detecting. That might also explain the scrapes?

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2024 8:32PM

woof woof. Recommended is to try to get the black stuff off the coin. Soak the piece in acetone for a few hours and then try to work the black stuff off using your finger nail. So, soak it, fingernail it, reshoot the photo and repost it here for us Barber coin experts to reevaluate.

Appears to be authentic with a good amount of detail still remaining.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:
    woof woof. Recommended is to try to get the black stuff off the coin. Soak the piece in acetone for a few hours and then try to work the black stuff off using your finger nail. So, soak it, fingernail it, reshoot the photo and repost it here for us Barber coin experts to reevaluate.

Appears to be authentic with a good amount of detail still remaining.

"Fingernail it"?? That's a numismatic crime.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

To bad bout the nick @4:oo

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of those cases in which the coin is so ugly that it may actually benefit from a cleaning. Since it is a much better date (and an expensive one at that) care needs to be taken. A "budget" album collector is likely to be the eventual buyer so a cleaning may actually enhance the appeal of the coin to collectors of that kind. It is too bad it is damaged but there is nothing you can do about that.

All glory is fleeting.

Overnight soak did not do much so may send it to one of the services to see if they have better chemicals/methods. Is there anything stronger than acetone, ie xylene available at hardware stores?

"Fingernail it"?? That's a numismatic crime.

Fingernailing this piece won't hurt it a bit. If no fingernails are available use a soft toothpick that will "mushroom." Definitely do not use anything abrasive or harder than the metal for this job. All we're trying to do here is get the black stuff off using acetone and a little gentle encouragement from a fingernail or soft toothpick.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

@logger7 said:
    Overnight soak did not do much so may send it to one of the services to see if they have better chemicals/methods. Is there anything stronger than acetone, ie xylene available at hardware stores?

Did you encourage the black stuff removal by fingernailing the piece after its acetone soak?

edited September 6, 2024 12:18PM

@mr1931S said:

@logger7 said:

Did you encourage the black stuff removal by fingernailing the piece after its acetone soak?

No real improvement with overnight soak and tried to move the black stuff off.

Some improvement but the coin has too many problems.

Cleaning this piece would be a mistake in my opinion. The scrapes are a bigger deal than the discoloration. In other words, if acetone and fingernailing doesn't get the black stuff, let it be. I would say the piece is worth a few hundred as it stands but would sell easier IF the black could be removed. It's bent as well as being discolored. The keen observer can detect a coin that has been bent no matter how slight even if the bend is "fixed" in a vise.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the right price a budget collector will love it!

All glory is fleeting.

The only question is who destroyed this tough date Barber?

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2024 8:41AM

Cool date, but it’s had one rough life. Wow. Really too bad. Still cool though!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • TypekatTypekat Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2024 9:57AM

Congrats, it looks like you got about 80% of the black stuff off!

Most circ examples of this tough date are worn out, but not yours!

Somewhere out there is a collector for this very coin!

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a great coin to complete a Barber Album

Mr_Spud

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file