Home U.S. Coin Forum

1921 Standing liberty quarter in problem holder

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46000949

I saw this in a seller's case today. What would you offer on a coin like this, bid in next grade down?

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures do not appear all that objectionable, and even a bit attractive. That is a curious "finish" to the coin.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing to distracting, I like it but have no idea what to offer.

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty weak looking shield and bird for an XF.
    not worth vf money, imho.

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to agree with @Typekat here. According to auction results on the coinfacts page https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1921-25c/5740, the VFs are going for $400-$500 (except for a few CAC'd ones that went for bigger money). While the coin you're looking at is decent at first glance, looking closer you see that it was covered in black corrosive tarnish (which they apparently dipped and rubbed off as gently as they could - but the signs are there). The right obverse really tells the story with the remnants of black spotting. The fact that there's a little bit of luster in protected areas (like around Liberty's head) only shows how flat and hairlined the fields are, e.g., under IN GOD on the lower left.

It's a tough date and I get looking for a decent priced coin to fill the hole, but I'd druther a nice honest original (if more worn) F15 or VF20... just my 2 cents.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2024 6:53AM

I don’t do problem, Coins, but if I was advising someone else…. Maybe $500?

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2024 6:17PM

A problem coin dealer would know what to offer. Not a buyer of problem coins. I would shop around for a non problem issue. What it comes down to is how badly does the seller want to move it. Who knows, He may take cost plus 25 pct.

Coins & Currency
  • @Walkerfan said:
    Here’s my 64:

Is that coin severely undergraded or am I missing something? Minimal hits and looks very lustrous.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan: beautiful coin; I really like the blush of orange toning.

Higashiyama
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    @Walkerfan: beautiful coin; I really like the blush of orange toning.

Thank You! I appreciate that. It’s pretty close to Full Head, too.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    A problem coin dealer would know what to offer. Not a buyer of problem coins. I would shop around for a non problem issue. What it comes down to is how badly does the seller want to move it. Who knows, He may take cost plus 25 pct.

He may take cost plus 25%? Jeez cougar, what type of margins you working with?! I'd be thrilled to make 25% :D

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not enough running in the red, summer slow season.

Coins & Currency
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@Cougar1978 said:

He may take cost plus 25%? Jeez cougar, what type of margins you working with?! I'd be thrilled to make 25% :D

I don't deal (although I sell a few pieces here and there) ... but if you're in the sub $1,000. problem coin market, I would think trying to ask 25%+ is not uncommon, and is probably prudent for the money you can have tied up on slow movers and hard sells.

Pulling that regularly with ~$7,500. coins with beans in high demand series means you got a rip on the buy or are asking moon money on the sell.

My 2c ...

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty, thanks for your kind words.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:

@PeakRarities said:

@Cougar1978 said:

I don't deal (although I sell a few pieces here and there) ... but if you're in the sub $1,000. problem coin market, I would think trying to ask 25%+ is not uncommon, and is probably prudent for the money you can have tied up on slow movers and hard sells.

Pulling that regularly with ~$7,500. coins with beans in high demand series means you got a rip on the buy or are asking moon money on the sell.

My 2c ...

Now, that's just cougar. You can occasionally get 20 to 25% margins, but rarely. The bid/ask spreads are too low on most things for that to work routinely.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

I would check Great Collections and Heritage auctions past results to get an idea. they both seem to move a lot of detail coins. james

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file