Home Precious Metals

Dealers are up to their gills in silver?

2»

Comments

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2024 6:09AM

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

The fact that $100 worth of silver halves will now cost you $2,147 says all you need to know.

What I know is premiums have collapsed. So much for the great gutter shortage of 2022.

I also know it's still overpriced. I'll stick with the zero premium SLV. It's the most liquid gutter on planet earth. THKS!

Mr. SLV salesman fails to reveal that SLV has a NEGATIVE premium (not zero). And that premium will be increasing in negativity by half a percent per year, every year.

How much is the negative premium in physical, especially ASEs, over the last 2 years?

When it first started, one share of SLV represented one troy oz of 999 silver.

As of the moment of this posting:

SLV price: $25.58
    Silver "spot": $28.00
    ASE wholesale: $29.00 (approximate, $33 retail)

So SLV has a negative premium of 8.6%. And that negative premium is guaranteed to go farther negative by 0,25% per year, every year. But if confidence wanes in SLV as a custodian of physical silver, the negative premium on SLV could become much more negative. The premium on SLV will never become less negative.

ASEs currently have a positive premium of 3.5% (wholesale). That is in the lower end of the range, historically. It is unlikely that the ASE premium will go lower from here (although that is not assured). But the ASE premium seems more likely to go up from here than down from here.

What was the price if an ASE when SLV was incepted? What is the sell price of that ASE today? What has been your return?

We'll be waiting for your answers.

Who do you mean by "we" ?
    I don't think you speak for other forum members.
    I'm not sure anybody else cares about these questions.

But anyway,

I have never been much of an ASE buyer, except in instances where I bought some to over-strike to offer as a novelty product.

Traditionally, the wholesale premium on Silver Eagles has been about $1 to $2 most of the time.
    SLV inception was 01 May 2006. On that day an SLV share was $14 and the "spot" price of silver was $14.
    So at that time the wholesale price of a Silver Eagle was probably around $15.50 .

As of today, a Silver Eagle is about $29 (wholesale) and SLV is $25.58 .

SLV: $14.00 to $25.58 = 182% increase.
    ASE: $15.50 to $29.00 = 187% increase.

So the ASE has been slightly better, but not by much (5% more). However, ASE premiums are currently at the low end of their traditional range and are likely to go up rather than down, while SLV premiums are guaranteed to go farther negative. And if there is ever any general lapse in confidence of SLV as a custodian, that counter-party risk could cause SLV to go much farther below the silver spot price.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2024 9:15AM

SLV is a derivative - its price is based on an something else, silver. The custodian may claim it is backed by silver, but even if it is, how many others have claim to the same silver. Is it JPM's, how many ETFs hold claim to it, or has it been loaned out? Nothing wrong with a paper play for silver as long as one is aware they own no silver and that they are at the dog track window. They are not in the vault holding their silver. Sprott (PSLV) is the only custodian I would trust to actually hold the silver when buying a paper product.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

The fact that $100 worth of silver halves will now cost you $2,147 says all you need to know.

What I know is premiums have collapsed. So much for the great gutter shortage of 2022.

I also know it's still overpriced. I'll stick with the zero premium SLV. It's the most liquid gutter on planet earth. THKS!

Mr. SLV salesman fails to reveal that SLV has a NEGATIVE premium (not zero). And that premium will be increasing in negativity by half a percent per year, every year.

How much is the negative premium in physical, especially ASEs, over the last 2 years?

So SLV has a negative premium of 8.6%. And that negative premium is guaranteed to go farther negative by 0,25% per year, every year. But if confidence wanes in SLV as a custodian of physical silver, the negative premium on SLV could become much more negative. The premium on SLV will never become less negative.

ASEs currently have a positive premium of 3.5% (wholesale). That is in the lower end of the range, historically. It is unlikely that the ASE premium will go lower from here (although that is not assured). But the ASE premium seems more likely to go up from here than down from here.

What was the price if an ASE when SLV was incepted? What is the sell price of that ASE today? What has been your return?

So the ASE has been slightly better, but not by much (5% more).

Assuming joe the plumber was able to purchase his ASEs wholesale. Chances are he did not. Also 180% increase in 18 years is not exactly what one would call a good investment. With the SLV Joe would have been in and out many times. With the ASE he is now stuck with a fugly toned hunk of 18 year old gutter. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

edited September 4, 2024 5:21PM

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

So the ASE has been slightly better, but not by much (5% more).

Assuming joe the plumber was able to purchase his ASEs wholesale. Chances are he did not. Also 180% increase in 18 years is not exactly what one would call a good investment. With the SLV Joe would have been in and out many times. With the ASE he is now stuck with a fugly toned hunk of 18 year old gutter. THKS!

Day-trading SLV is just another form of gambling/speculation, and a person is just as likely to lose money doing it.

At least with physical coins you have a chance to end up with something special (rare variety, colorful toning, high grade, etc).
    With SLV you get none of that. If all you care about is making money, then perhaps you should get out of coin collecting all together and stick to day-trading your "Wall Street" paper.

PS:

Here is a toned 2006 Silver Eagle that recently auctioned at $210 with 13 bids (and it is only graded MS68, not 69 or 70):

edited September 4, 2024 6:34PM

Physical silver should not be treated as an investment. The paper silver, an investment vehicle, offers ease of trading without the expense of shipping metal. Physical silver is a long term "savings" play to protect one's wealth from a declining dollar. Sure, there are investments out there that provide a better return, and then suddenly they provide don't. The fact that a 1964 half dollar (costs 50 cents) contains $10. 23 worth of silver proves the point of silver's "dollar protection."

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Physical silver should not be treated as an investment.

I see no reason why it shouldn't be considered a great investment in addition to being a great hedge and speculation. The fact that it takes a little bit of effort to buy or sell silver actually forces you to engage your thought processes before making a transaction.

With silver, the last thing you should do is jump in & out with the click of a button. Ninety percent of the time, your own circumstances are more important than what the market might do in the next 24 hours.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

But anyway,

I have never been much of an ASE buyer, except in instances where I bought some to over-strike to offer as a novelty product.

Traditionally, the wholesale premium on Silver Eagles has been about $1 to $2 most of the time.
    SLV inception was 01 May 2006. On that day an SLV share was $14 and the "spot" price of silver was $14.
    So at that time the wholesale price of a Silver Eagle was probably around $15.50 .

So the ASE has been slightly better, but not by much (5% more). However, ASE premiums are currently at the low end of their traditional range and are likely to go up rather than down, while SLV premiums are guaranteed to go farther negative. And if there is ever any general lapse in confidence of SLV as a custodian, that counter-party risk could cause SLV to go much farther below the silver spot price.

Excellent. Numbers are a little off...SLV closed first day of trading at 13.81. Spot was 13.63 and ASEs according to listing in the BST were trading at about $2 over. So return since then, about 18 years for both are about 85% (not about 185%) ;)

So it appears you have successfully disproved your contention that paper is a guaranteed loser vs physical as evidenced by 18 years of data.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

@jmski52 said:

I see no reason why it shouldn't be considered a great investment...

Those who do not view it as an investment are only trying to reconcile their decision.

edited September 6, 2024 7:40AM

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

I see no reason why it shouldn't be considered a great investment...

Those who do not view it as an investment are only trying to reconcile their decision.

Those who do not view physical silver as an investment know that there are better ways (ease of changing position) to invest in silver using paper vehicles such as miner stocks and silver ETFs. Think of physical silver as silver under the mattress. Like cash on hand, it is a "hoard," not an investment. Of course to think this way one has to see silver (and gold) as what it is - real money.

your dollars, whether in your wallet or your savings account, are not an investment. Your dollar derivatives (bonds, dollar ETFs) are investments.

edited September 6, 2024 11:20AM

Yup..like I said.

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

But anyway,

Excellent. Numbers are a little off...SLV closed first day of trading at 13.81. Spot was 13.63 and ASEs according to listing in the BST were trading at about $2 over. So return since then, about 18 years for both are about 85% (not about 185%) ;)

So it appears you have successfully disproved your contention that paper is a guaranteed loser vs physical as evidenced by 18 years of data.

That first week was probably the only time that SLV traded at any amount above the spot price.
    SLV is now about 12% below spot.

If someone stated that XYZ has increased by 200% in 20 years, what would that mean ?
    Some would take it as meaning that XYZ doubled in price.

edited September 7, 2024 4:54AM

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

But anyway,

If someone stated that XYZ has increased by 200% in 20 years, what would that mean ?
    Some would take it as meaning that XYZ doubled in price.

No...an increase of 100% is a double.

Some would be, and are, wrong.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they are up to their gills in silver, it sounds like some fishy dealers to me.

Choking on the gutter perhaps. RGDS!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    If they are up to their gills in silver, it sounds like some fishy dealers to me.

i confess a weakness for the worst form of silver ever created . The canadian fishie dime :'(

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

Not sure of the intent of this posting.... but if it in regards to 'gills'..... I don't think insects have gills. (or maybe some aquatic ones do... beats me.... I'm no insect expert!).

----- kj
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:

@cohodk said:

Not sure of the intent of this posting.... but if it in regards to 'gills'..... I don't think insects have gills. (or maybe some aquatic ones do... beats me.... I'm no insect expert!).

Looks like a silverfish insect.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

lol.... so is cohodk saying silver (is) fishy? I was thinking it was a silverfish also.

----- kj

@tincup said:
    lol.... so is cohodk saying silver (is) fishy? I was thinking it was a silverfish also.

No, I think it was Jim who said gutter was fishy. RGDS!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:

i believe that insect is called a silverfish

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few buyers on 90%, getting that way on .999. I dont hold mine though, I unload to the refinery every week. I just have to buy at slightly lower levels in order to do that. If they dont like the price, they can go elsewhere. Most come back, becuase the others here locally are even less.

edited September 9, 2024 6:41AM

@jdimmick said:
    Very few buyers on 90%, getting that way on .999.

Likely waiting on a dip like they did last time there was a climb, at least I am.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I said dealers with silver up to their gills were fishy.

If they have too much silver, they are charging too much premium, as there is plenty of demand to keep inventories low with reasonable pricing.

The S&P may also have hit a double top. Setting some protective sell stops might be a good idea. Could be a volatile September.

@tincup said:

@cohodk said:

It's just a silverfish. Seemed appropriate.

This is frequently referred to as a Silver salmon.

Now THAT... is a fine silverfish!

----- kj
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:

looks a little green around the gills!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@tincup said:

looks a little green around the gills!

Toning.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyers came back in force today, sold it all OTC, course I have generic priced at 30 and eagles at 32.

Several dealers had come up as well as several customers dumping silver off to me late last week and monday of this week so it was a blessing to move it out. Now I am out till some more come in.