Home U.S. Coin Forum

1853 seated dime counterfeit question.

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

In your opinion, is this dime a modern counterfeit or contemporary? The date looks horrible and it looks like it has been replayed after being corroded. Is there any know contemporary counterfeits for this date?

Thanks for the help

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a crude casting from the 19th century. A modern counterfeiter, who is looking to fool collectors, would need to do better. I’ve seen stuff like this before. I inherited a cast Morgan Dollar from my in-laws that have to be a contemporary counterfeit.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be a long post 🤔

Just to follow up, I think that this counterfeit Pillar Dollar was from "back in the day."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2024 1:38PM

The date digit shapes are correct, and the date position looks similar to F-114.
    So I am not sure why you say it is "horrible".

from
    https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1853wa_114page.htm

@yosclimber said:

The date digit shapes are correct, and the date position looks similar to F-114.
    So I am not sure why you say it is "horrible".

from
    https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1853wa_114page.htm

A copy of a real coin will have the devices in the right places. That's why knowing die varieties won't protect you from Chinese counterfeits. They are the illegitimate children of real coins.

edited August 29, 2024 2:06PM

Sure, if it is a die created from an actual coin, and they did not try to alter the date,
    the positions should match the source coin.

The Chinese counterfeit dimes that are easy to spot have the wrong digit shapes.
    Usually because they are placing a different date on the die,
    and did not bother to get a source coin with the target date.

Above is a current example of this type of cruder counterfeit on aliexpress.com, on sale for 76 cents.
    The arrow shapes easily detect this one, and the flag on the 5 is another marker.

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

Whay do you mean?

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    ... Is there any know contemporary counterfeits for this date?

Yes:
    https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/cf_date/cf_date_mintmark.htm

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:

@johnny9434 said:

Whay do you mean?

I was thinking that there might be many postings, looks like I was wrong,

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    The date looks horrible.

A cast or transfer die contemporary counterfeit would have a date that looks identical to the coin it was copied from. A contemporary hand engraved counterfeit die would have more than just the date appear wonky. My guess would be this could be a modern counterfeit with added date, just better than the AliExpress example.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file