Home U.S. Coin Forum

1842 Medium Date Seated Half - New Piece & GTG

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello all - here's a new piece from my friend Dan @PeakRarities

What grade do you think it is? (It is CAC verified)

@robec pics

Washed out TV pics

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS - no cheating since the coin pic can be seen on CoinFacts! :)

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those surfaces look killer. Lovely coin!

I don't know the series so I have to guess between rub and strike, seems like the standard 58 or 62, although I wouldn't be shocked to see 63.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Robec's photo - AU58
    Trueview - AU55

Trueviews tend to uglify, and effectively downgrade coins these days.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, I know that coin! Gorgeous....

🤐

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 and super choice!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going with 58, but I’ll bet that’s a bit low. What a sweet piece!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2024 12:57PM

That’s a very nice looking coin, whatever the grade, I’ll guess AU50.

😉😉Just kidding, I'll guess AU58.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I checked. Very nice. Didn't you purchase this around a month or two ago, @Catbert ?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • johnhenry9009johnhenry9009 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I'd say AU-58 or MS-63. She's a beauty either way.

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58+.
    Sure looks unc., but I think I see some wear on the eagle's claws.
    Beautiful half dollar. Congratulations.

• Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cat:

Great coin. I'm going against a lot of the consensus above and say it's an MS63 CAC.

Looks consistent with wear on claws, wings and Liberty on shield. Fields are nice and clean from what I can tell in pictures.

Nice addition to your set!

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's Unc ... so i'm going to say 62 as the luster seems a little muted. Handsome example. Nice addition!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I think it's Unc ... so i'm going to say 62 as the luster seems a little muted. Handsome example. Nice addition!

Ding, Ding, Ding! The winner is Todd!

Thanks to all for participating. :)

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say AU58+ until I saw that the answer had been posted. That's a nice one!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! Looks better than 62 to my eyes.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another beautiful Seated Half Buddy! Like it!!!

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in the 62 crowd. Maybe just a touch of wear or cabinet friction on the legs.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw it in Dan’s inventory I think so I won’t “guess.”
    Great looking coin - you are putting together a very nice set of seated halves.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strong 58.

@Catbert said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

Ding, Ding, Ding! The winner is Todd!

Thanks to all for participating. :)

It's a 62 CAC. :)

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some luster, as it CAC'd, I'll guess 63. Beautiful coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that you’ve posted the coin, I have to say it looked undergraded in Dan’s inventory and now also in Robec’s photos. The luster may be a bit understated but the coin is from 1842, and it appears very clean with pleasing, even toning.

JBN may be on to something. Maybe there’s slight wear and it is a slider 62. Although CAC usually is not fond of such slider grading.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. I'll say 55!

Tom

edited August 26, 2024 8:04PM

@breakdown said:
    Now that you’ve posted the coin, I have to say it looked undergraded in Dan’s inventory and now also in Robec’s photos. The luster may be a bit understated but the coin is from 1842, and it appears very clean with pleasing, even toning.

JBN may be on to something. Maybe there’s slight wear and it is a slider 62. Although CAC usually is not fond of such slider grading.

I really like the coin as a 62. It’s very original and very crusty, and as a result the luster is very muted. It’s one of those coins that looks great under a ring light, where you can show the reflectivity and get the color to pop. The surfaces are really clean but taking the muted luster into consideration, the fields are abraded just enough to prevent it from 63.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

A real beaut! I’ll say 55.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fantastic coin. I won't even pretend to be able to grade it. All I'll say is it looks uncirculated to me. Uncirculated and incredibly eye appealing, regardless of the numeric grade.

• CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty!

• Here's a 1842 50C AU53 PC CAC Small Date for comparison we just bought. It's clear that Dan's is higher grade. Robec's pics to me makes the Medium Date look correctly like an UNC, but had I just seen the True View alone I would have guessed AU58 obverse and reverse UNC, and because of the tad cabinet friction on the knee I would have said AU58+, but perhaps its slightly overly pronounced in the TV because of the reflectivity of the field shot instead of head-on photo? Great date and coin!

Shannon

ParadimeCoins.com PCGS NGC CAC InventorySign up for our exclusive NEWPs mailing list - Subscribe

edited August 27, 2024 7:24AM

@ParadimeCoins said:
    Here's a 1842 50C AU53 PC CAC Small Date for comparison we just bought. It's clear that Dan's is higher grade. Robec's pics to me makes the Medium Date look correctly like an UNC, but had I just seen the True View alone I would have guessed AU58 obverse and reverse UNC, and because of the tad cabinet friction on the knee I would have said AU58+, but perhaps its slightly overly pronounced in the TV because of the reflectivity of the field shot instead of head-on photo? Great date and coin!

Shannon

Wow, way to show me up with the nicest AU53 ever. Who the hell invited you here, anyway? 😒

😂

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited August 27, 2024 5:56AM

@Catbert, make sure there’s an accompanying video next time you post a thread like this, to make sure Shannon can’t embarrass us like this, yea?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Geez is right! Cut it out, Shannon! ;):D

@JBN said:
    AU58+.

You know, this is a tough area for me in grading these. The claws can sometimes be a strike issue vs wear and yet it's a high point area that will attract wear!

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@JBN said:
    AU58+.

You know, this is a tough area for me in grading these. The claws can sometimes be a strike issue vs wear and yet it's a high point area that will attract wear!

Excellent point. Photos of your half dollar do not show any kind of discontinuities at the border of Liberty or the eagle. In hand examination would confirm the eagle's claws as a strike issue (doubt PCGS and CAC both 'missed' on the AU/BU call).
    Again, nice early half dollar for your collection. Nice color. Reverse die break offers some spice for this nice looker. Color and spice - what's not to like?

• Wow! Both of those are beauties. I would have said AU58-AU58+ for @Catbert coin just by looking at the pics.
    But that's why it's tough to grade from pics. Can't tell if there is luster lost or not on those high points. Color on Shannon's coin is fantastic.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file