Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you think a new category of Tokens and Medals should be created here on the CU Forums?

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea and could include both buy/sell and informational threads..

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be a good idea, but I imagine it would cost our hosts some money.

The token and medal market is different from the coin market. That's for sure. It is becoming far more active.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Maybe, not sure though. I collect mainly both U.S. coins and U.S. medals & tokens, but dabble in foreign coins, medals and tokens. But I rarely go to the non-U.S. sections, and when I do it reminds me of sleepy hollow with much less activity. Lumping all U.S. coins, medals and tokens together in the U.S. coin section works good for me, posts here seem more dynamic.

I also think adding too many forums just makes for more infrequently visited sections. It’s fine to have tokens with US coins-if someone isn’t interested in the thread, then just skip over it. If someone doesn’t normally do much with tokens, they are more likely to see the thread in the US coins section and that could lead to more engagement.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a poll and see what the populous says? Fwiw

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2024 12:43PM

I don’t collect medals/tokens at all. Sometimes I open and enjoy threads about them. I would never visit the medal/token forum. I like them being included here.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've long been in favor of it.

Perhaps as it becomes increasingly popular our hosts will come to agree. it is a little difficult imaging a mad rush to grade, authenticate, or protect tokens and medals however. Maybe if China starts counterfeiting them there could be a sea change.

Tempus fugit.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think there would be enough participation. I have long thought it was absurd for PCGS to charge so much to slab tokens and medals. The vast majority are simply not worth the exorbitant fees, and it does not bode well to increasing interest in this fascinating part of the hobby.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should add a antiques section.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need as others have said.

I just want members to title their threads meaningfully so that readers can decide whether they wish to open a thread.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • fathomfathom Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    They should add a antiques section.

Antique members or antique items?

• CregCreg Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

No, they should not create a new category.

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2024 3:26PM

I enjoy reading and learning about tokens and medals on this forum. ( I have a collection of Catholic medals related to various saints and angels but don’t imagine there is much interest in them here given the hedonism and idolatry of this forum. Wink wink :) )

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of folks who comment here do not like NCLT or any modern US "bullion" coins, let alone medals and tokens. Maybe there should be a classic US coin section for the purists.

However, I like them all; classic, NCLT, and modern, and thankfully most of the interesting diverse posts are still accepted here on this forum, just as it is.

• Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

I search for “medal” posted in the last one day. Am a big fan of posting a short description with any photo.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dentuck said:
    For the nineteen years I’ve been a member, whenever I’ve had a medal/token query or wanted to check if anyone has discussed a particular exonumia topic, I’ve checked both here (U.S. Coins) and the slower-traffic “dark side” (World Coins), even if it’s U.S.-related exonumia — just in case someone posted there.

There’s some confusion with the category title. Maybe it should be “U.S. Coins, Medals, and Tokens,” so the broad scope of American “coin-like objects” (including coins themselves) stay logically, and more obviously, grouped together.

Exactly, a name change is all that is needed

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2024 10:16AM

Just won this yesterday at Heritage, the US Coin Forum has always been considered the proper place to discuss items like this. So, no, nothing new is needed.

Known as the "Massonnet Medal" it is catalogued as Eglit 99/50mm, Bronze.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file