Home U.S. Coin Forum

1973S Brown Box Silver Ike - Do They All Have Ring Toning

RichRRichR Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are all toned
My father's were all tones
My father-in-laws were all toned
Every one that I see on eBay is toned

Have you ever seen a 1973S silver proof Ike that isn't ring toned?

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2024 1:30PM

Here’s some on eBay right now that are not toned, but they could have been dipped, but they aren’t still in the original packaging. I’ve never seen an original one still in the original mint packaging that wasn’t at least Hazy. MS70 makes the haze come off easily, not sure about whether it would remove actual toning, most likely would need e-zest or similar.

Mr_Spud

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    Mine are all toned

Yes. The day I got it from the Mint.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is still just hazy and not really toned yet

Mr_Spud

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    Mine are all toned

A great many Brown Ikes seemed to have toned this way. It probably has something to do with the mint packaging. It might also could be from the solutions the used to rinse the planchets before they were struck.

I bought a 1973-S Brown Ike for a bargain price from an antique store, of all places. It had no toning at all and was nice as the day it was struck. It didn’t fit in my collection any more, so I sold it to a dealer for a small profit. I probably should have kept it, LOL, given issues these coins seem to have.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

{Yes. The day I got it from the Mint.}

Are you sure? Are you really really sure?

:)

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got 100+ in the same brown boxes that are blazing white, tone-free, coins available for sale if anyone cares. lol

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience about 70% of the '73's are ring toned, 20% white and 10% tarnished or otherwise toned.

All of the brown box ikes are a little susceptible to ring toning, especially the '73. Some storage conditions may encourage it.

Tempus fugit.
  • From what I’ve seen 1974 has the most ring toned followed by 1973. I’ve seen online discussions about the toning of these that point to being in dealer’s hot car trunks when being transported to shows. It’s hard to believe that these coins traded for higher values in the 1970s than they do now.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never ceases to amaze me when I see the price today of '73 browns.
    I remember getting out of a pile of them back in 1980 at 145.00 a piece !

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2024 2:58PM

No ring tone here but no brown box either, this one was in a cardboard display.

Then this 74 did come out of a brown box but I like the toning.

Edit to say: it’s the toned ones that bring the money.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    Never ceases to amaze me when I see the price today of '73 browns.
    I remember getting out of a pile of them back in 1980 at 145.00 a piece !

I sold one for $175 when the Grey Sheet bid was well over $200, $250, I think. The dealer didn't want it, but when I quoted that price, he paid it. I knew the coin was way overpriced at the time and wanted to cash in before the crash. The crash was worse than I ever dreamed it would be ... less than $20.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2024 11:41AM

Not for nothing...but they weren't worth the [high] prices at the peak...but I think they're worth more than they trade for now.

Just my 2c.

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭

Mine is toned.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

People love album toned coins but seem to hate blue toned ikes. I have read lots of negative comments about these blue ones. Let's dip them out ( why?)
    I personally like nicely toned brown box ikes.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Bought the better part of 1,000 of them this year for around $18 each. Waiting for the sheet to work its way back to $200! lol. I have these Ikes set aside along with my gold spouse coins! 🤣. When I hit the “daily double”, I’ll be rich!!

Wondercoin.

I don't blame you for taking a shot.
    I've always thought that Ikes made a great set. Only an 8 year run, yet there are 32 different !
    What's not to like ?

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2024 10:37PM

thebeav…

All kidding aside, I probably did purchase in the past few years a quantity of them that would put me in the “top 5” or so highest quantity buyers in the world for this particular coin, because I do like the coin very much. But, I am not hoarding them (I actually learned a good lesson on hoarding with the Spouse coins!). I “wholesale” the nicer quality coins to my son Justin in PCGS-PR69DCAM holders and he sells them on eBay possibly in quantities that make him the #1 or #2 top eBay seller of this great coin in pristine PCGS-PR69DCAM quantity (see e.g. eBay item number:166252498406 where he sold around 125 units in just the past 90 days in that single ad alone, but also sells them in many other eBay ads like 11 pc. Ike proof sets).

So, I am not hoarding them, but “sharing” virtually all of them with the collecting community at large. Why do I say “virtually” all of them? Roughly in every 200-250 (give or take) fresh raw coins I get in, I set aside a “monster DCAM’ example (of all 11 different dates of the proof Ike dollars). I’ve been doing that for 21+ years now (nonstop). I’ve built some of the coolest “monster” DCAM sets virtually anyone has ever seen. One day, some day, in the next roughly 40+ years, there will likely be intense collector interest for these special coins/sets. I’ve assigned the task to Justin (in his ripe old age) to sell these special coins/sets to those that are most interested. Unfortunately, I probably won’t be around to tell you how this story ends! 😂

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file