Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is there a point of ethics where you tell a dealer that the coin they are offering is too cheap?

DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 21, 2024 7:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Have done so a few times with my local dealer...but then there were times that I didn't.

:/

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

An ethical line that applies, without exception. to everyone, no.

An ethical line, personal to each individual, maybe (depending on whether a given individual has a personal code of ethics, or not).

The above is the best answer I can come up with, given the varied nature of humans.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Education can be expensive.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2024 8:41PM

(((Duplicate post)))

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2024 2:41AM

@renomedphys said:
    Hate to be the pessimist, but…

Hardly ever. They’re adults and they likely paid a whole lot less. And cheap coins cut both ways. Learned that lesson plenty.

Point is, often times coins are priced cheaply for a reason and if you can’t see why and they’re not saying, then it’s you being taken advantage of.

There is no Santa Claus in Numismatics.

Should their cost matter at all? Would you feel obliged to pay double market value if the dealer overpaid for the coin?

If a widow brought you a box of gold from her husband's estate, would you consider it ok to offer $1500 per ounce because you know the husband only paid $1000 per ounce?

Yes, everyone is going to say it's not the same situation. But it really is. My ethical choice in any transaction is not dependent on events that come before or after. Donating the gold I just bought at $1500 to charity doesn't make my theft of the widow more ethical.

And I'm not saying you always have to pay the max. It's complex. See my other post as well as other people's. But if all the reasons you may choose to inform the dealer or not, I fail to as how his cost is one of those factors.

• jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 386 ✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    Hate to be the pessimist, but…

Hardly ever. They’re adults and they likely paid a whole lot less. And cheap coins cut both ways. Learned that lesson plenty.

I’d agree with this. I don’t think too many dealers are in the habit of pricing things for below their cost and it’s literally their business to know the value of the items they are buying and then turning around to sell.

If someone is going to get a cherry pick, I would rather it be me getting one from the dealer instead of the dealer getting one from the person with whom they bought it.

We have numerous threads here celebrating cherry picks but I have yet to see one detailing how the OP pointed out an underpriced coin.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that a coin dealer should be knowledgeable enough to be able to price their inventory accurately. Especially with the internet available. If a person asks me what their coins are worth I tell them what they can expect to sell it to a dealer for, but I dont feel badly for a dealer who doesn't price a coin accurately.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2024 7:01AM

Nine times out of ten if the coin seems underpriced there's a good reason for it. Is there some deal breaker flaw that is not immediately apparent? I once passed on a raw very scarce civil war era Liberty seated 's' mint dime. The coin was underpriced by a lot, so i did a very careful inspection to find a deal breaker. And I found it. The 'L' was totally missing on LIBERTY, on the shield.

Said nothing to the dealer. Simply passed on the coin. I always assume that an established coin dealer knows what he or she is doing. Ever play 'Old Maid' the card game? I have and got to be pretty good at passing the old maid to another player. There is no Santa Claus in numismatics. Believe it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have told many dealers on ebay regarding their coins(attributed correctly) would bring far better rewards. All were not perturbed at all and several were greatful. One gave me a 20% off coupon. Which I finally used. Was not expecting or desiring a reward, but their auctions were for coins I already had or were not in position to buy at the time. Now had I been interested in the coin, oops.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Let me turn this original question on its head a bit:

If you as a dealer sold a coin on eBay only to discover after the sale but prior to shipping that you had left several thousand on the table by selling it for less than half of recent comps would you still ship the item? Has anyone here had this exact example come up? I was on the buying end of this over the past week where the seller cancelled the transaction.

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't that called "Cherry Picking" going throgh coins to find a deal?

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffas1974 said:

If you as a dealer sold a coin on eBay only to discover after the sale but prior to shipping that you had left several thousand on the table by selling it for less than half of recent comps would you still ship the item? Has anyone here had this exact example come up? I was on the buying end of this over the past week where the seller cancelled the transaction.

Yes. This type situation recently occurred with @braddick. Check out his thread of 8/6/24.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• psuman08psuman08 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

I have absolutely told my LCS several times about varieties they have that are worth more. He treats me well when I want something.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffas1974 said:

I got a good deal on a coin from a dealer on eBay who returned my money while claiming that he couldn't find my coin. I left him a neg which he didn't appreciate. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

I recently purchased an LM9.2 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime. Actually my first attribution find and was so excited. 3 days later I suddenly received a cancellation and my funds returned no longer available. Messaged the seller and no response. I had not spoke on the forum(or any other) in its regard, so I figure as they did not trouble to respond to my message, they discovered its rarity. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had this happen (again) yesterday.
    Kind of disappointing.

peacockcoins

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick: I think you’re “eBay snakebit”!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the OP's question (paraphrasing): Is there a point in ethics where... you do the right thing? I'd say, yes... it should be around the same time one develops a Conscience!

FWIW... I don't like situational ethics... I was at my local B&M when I lived in Albuquerque and was going through bulk silver quarters. I had built a relationship with this dealer and he had given me some pretty good deals on early copper at the time (early 2000s). I found a 32-S among the bulk bin finds... there was some damage to the obverse around the date, so I figured it was misidentified when he got it in so I let the dealer know...

On another occasion I was looking through coins I had already purchased for a Date Set of Large Cents and found a more rare variety of a particular date. My first reaction was... score! ...and I didn't call up the dealer to throw an extra couple of hundred dollars at him!

I've not been in a position, yet, to cherry pick a dealer... i suppose the people I deal with know what they're doing! ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@jmlanzaf said:

@jeffas1974 said:

I would still ship it.

Just because some dealers are ethically challenged doesn't mean all are. It also has no bearing on what you should do.

I agree that it has no bearing on my own decisions but sometimes people see similar situations through much different lenses depending on what side of the transaction they are on so I was curious to see how people might respond. From the buyer's side of things, I have no qualms with getting a great deal but I also have zero issue going through with a transaction if it turns out I overpaid because I overvalued a coin that was accurately represented by the seller.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a few dealers I'd do that for cause they have good stuff down the road. Don't hurt being honest either, jmo/fwiw

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s never come up for me. As long as I felt like they hadn’t made a typo or mistake that would be material to their business, I’d ask once to verify the price and move on happily.
    There is NO expectation that I know more about anything coin related than the dealer offering it for sale.
    I’m way more likely to think I’ve gotten a steal only to find out the dealer knew what they were doing and I overpaid.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@jeffas1974 said:

I got a good deal on a coin from a dealer on eBay who returned my money while claiming that he couldn't find my coin. I left him a neg which he didn't appreciate. :D

I’ve had that happen twice, which is something like 10% of all my eBay coin purchases.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    If I am cherry picking a variety, no. However, if something is correctly identified but obviously mispriced, yes.
    When I was still in Detroit in the early 70’s I heard about a dealer in one of the big malls who employed his sister or sister-in-law to help behind the counter. One day while he was making the post office run a young collector came in, looked around and saw a Hawaii commem marked 495. He gave the lady a $5 bill, she gave him a nickel change, and he left.
    The next day he brought it back and said that he had looked it up in his Redbook and thought that there must have been a mistake. The dealer shook his hand and gave him $50 store credit. That kid had ethics.

Northland, by chance?

Used to be a nice shop in the lower concourse. Bought stamps there.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

When going through a dealer's junk quarters, I happened to find both a 1932-D and 1932-S in nice enough condition that they probably wouldn't detail grade (if anyone ever sent them in). I told him, but he let me have them for melt like the rest of the quarters.

Honesty is always the best policy, including on the dealer's part; if they sell something and then cancel the order, they are low scum in my opinion. That would earn them one less potential buyer.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

@CRHer700 said:
    When going through a dealer's junk quarters, I happened to find both a 1932-D and 1932-S in nice enough condition that they probably wouldn't detail grade (if anyone ever sent them in). I told him, but he let me have them for melt like the rest of the quarters.

Honesty is always the best policy, including on the dealer's part; if they sell something and then cancel the order, they are low scum in my opinion. That would earn them one less potential buyer.

Cancelling an auction is taboo. Buy it now with a legitimate listing error is different. I have honored the few over the years, but the 1893-s at 99 cents. Nuh uh.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:

@CRHer700 said:

Cancelling an auction is taboo. Buy it now with a legitimate listing error is different. I have honored the few over the years, but the 1893-s at 99 cents. Nuh uh.

I'll admit that if the listing has a huge error ( as in I found it by chance looking for something else because the description is for the wrong coin or for something else altogether ) I wouldn't be too mad if they cancel, and I probably wouldn't even bid on something of this sort, but if it is as simple as a lack of the word "silver" or "gold" in the title, or it is listed in the wrong category, then I see that as fair game.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

As with everything in life I think it all depends on the situation.
    I think in general I would.
    If the coin was priced 5-15% under market I might not say anything and assume the dealer was able to buy it cheap and wants to move it quickly. In that case I wouldn’t bother mentioning it.
    If the coin were priced 40% or more under market then I might ask why rather than flat out tell them since in those cases there may also be a reason for the price.

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I have never had a situation with a coin dealer. Heritage Auctions is a different story.
    In the early 2000's I discovered they had an 1873-S Seated Half that did not have the "S" on the holder. After agonizing over it for 2 days, I called and told them about the mistake. i kept thinking how the seller was losing money. They said, "We employ Numismatic experts and the day we need help from a hick in the sticks like you we will let you know."
    Since then I have won an 1839 Seated half that was mislabeled With Drapery and an 1846-O Tall Date That was mistaken for a Med. Date. Sometimes it is just better to be a hick rather than a numismatic expert. James

Just as a counterpoint and to be fair to HA, I email @MFeld from time to time with problematic lots within my series. Unsurprisingly, he (and by extension, Heritage) is unfailingly appreciative and responsive.

Must've been different people working different days.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those of us with low self esteem think to ourselves, "who am I to educate this industry veteran and experts as to how he should price his coins?" I would never assume or assert that the dealer didn't know what he was doing or accuse them of making a mistake.

I think reality slips away some times. I truly believe that the AVERAGE dealer with a $100 coin is offered $150 for it they would accept it. And the average coin collector/buyer who found a coin listed for $100 and they know it could sell easily for $150 will buy it and make a profit. As to attributing coins, there is a great expense in learning(by mistakes especially), books and hopefully finding a mentor, as I have on several occasions and should this teaching/learning create an opportunity to purchase a coin and fill a hole in your collection for a considerable saving, then do it. Buyers are not teachers and are in no way obligated to be so in a purchase. Now I have never purchased a $1000 coin(or higher) that was worth $5000, so my amount of savings are in the <$100 range for a coin purchase. I think reality would bring far more transaction integrity to light than we think. People buying should be educated, people selling should be educated, both in the field they are attempting to profit from and if not, I'm sorry. Do not get me wrong, if a little old man or lady came to me and said what's this 1909 S VDB worth, I would do everything in my power to help them and not try to rob them. But when you are dealing with dealers/sellers it is different. JMO
    Jim

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever been given fresh bills that were bricked together from a buyer who was unaware he gave you one bill extra ?
    Ho, ho, ho, is this for me ? No thanks Mr Grinch.
    Cha-ching in the humbling department of my ethics.
    Alas, that's just me.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭

unless we're friends and I know the info will be appreciated and somehow reciprocated, I can't risk it anymore because if you tip off the seller, sometimes they say it's not for sale at any price or don't want to sell other coins to you - a few of those and you learn to keep your mouth shut and hope you're actually right about the coin being more valuable

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:

@CaptHenway said:
    If I am cherry picking a variety, no. However, if something is correctly identified but obviously mispriced, yes.
    When I was still in Detroit in the early 70’s I heard about a dealer in one of the big malls .

Northland, by chance?

Used to be a nice shop in the lower concourse. Bought stamps there.

Westland

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@ProofCollection said:
    Those of us with low self esteem think to ourselves, "who am I to educate this industry veteran and experts as to how he should price his coins?" I would never assume or assert that the dealer didn't know what he was doing or accuse them of making a mistake.

One of the coins in question was a very low pop 1916-D dime in Poor1. It was priced as a 2 or 3 and brought twice the price at auction.

edited August 24, 2024 9:37AM

@Atcarroll said:

@lermish said:

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I have never had a situation with a coin dealer. Heritage Auctions is a different story.
    In the early 2000's I discovered they had an 1873-S Seated Half that did not have the "S" on the holder. After agonizing over it for 2 days, I called and told them about the mistake. i kept thinking how the seller was losing money. They said, "We employ Numismatic experts and the day we need help from a hick in the sticks like you we will let you know."
    Since then I have won an 1839 Seated half that was mislabeled With Drapery and an 1846-O Tall Date That was mistaken for a Med. Date. Sometimes it is just better to be a hick rather than a numismatic expert. James

Just as a counterpoint and to be fair to HA, I email @MFeld from time to time with problematic lots within my series. Unsurprisingly, he (and by extension, Heritage) is unfailingly appreciative and responsive.

It was 20 years ago per the original post. It's probably all different people.

Not to mention that you can't judge an entire company by one interaction. They could have been having a bad day and not executing corporate policy.

@lermish said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Atcarroll said:

@lermish said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

It was 20 years ago per the original post. It's probably all different people.

Not to mention that you can't judge an entire company by one interaction. They could have been having a bad day and not executing corpse policy.

Not properly executing corpse policy can lead to all sorts of health code violations.

Interesting that spell check chose "corpse" for "corporate".

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just buy it and move on to the next deal. If he is actually a "coin dealer" he should know.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:
    Have done so a few times with my local dealer...but then there were times that I didn't.

:/

If the coin flip or holder had an obvious pricing error, sure. If the dealer is pricing an XF coin at a VF price? LOL. This dealer bought and has marked it up to make a profit. Of course, someplace in the world, the dealer might get a stronger price, but let the dealer travel to China, or Brussels to sell it. Why is your job to be the pricing arbitrage police?

Next time you go to a yard sale, refuse to buy anything unless you inform the seller that it is worth more and that you need to pay more. :)

• redraiderredraider Posts: 171 ✭✭✭✭

I told a well known dealer he had a coin underpriced. He raised it $1k and it still sold immediately. I should not have said anything and bought it myself!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file