Home U.S. Coin Forum

DD’s ANA WFOM Report

PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me a little longer than expected, but this past week has been hectic with auctions and I’ve had a lot to take care of with my new office also.

Here is a link to my show report, which is written from the perspective of Peak Rarities, CU forum gets the privilege of seeing my personal newps for my collection as well. I will not be posting pictures of my inventory here in the US coin forum, the pictures below the link are all in my box of 20 and are not for sale.

https://www.peakrarities.com/post/2024-ana-wfom-report-peak-rarities-first-national-show

1. 1795 $1 2 Leaves PCGS 53 CAC
    Ex- Hesselgesser

Extra crusty, unquestionably original

1. 1861 Clark Gruber $5 AU58 CAC

Original white gold color with deep orange highlights, and blue undertones

1. 1852 Humbert $10 .884 AU53 CAC

A touch bright, but mostly original and solid as an AU55. Really nice deep gold color.

1. To be revealed soon, awaiting wardrobe change

2. To be revealed soon, should be getting shipped to me tomorrow

3. Big one. To be revealed soon, should be getting shipped to me tomorrow

Founder- Peak Rarities
Website
Instagram
Facebook

Comments

• great read, and good seeing you.

Shannon

ParadimeCoins.com PCGS NGC CAC InventorySign up for our exclusive NEWPs mailing list - Subscribe

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2024 6:30PM
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting your detailed report. Great read! Appears you had a good show - congrats!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Great read and it was nice meeting you! Was happy to see how busy your table was.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report and great pickups! Can't wait to see the other three that are yet to come. Unfortunately, I forgot to stop by and say hi. I was working a table just a few rows down from Noah's. Maybe a future show.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read, thanks for sharing.

• willywilly Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report I love hearing from a dealers perspective about the shows. I could have used the wreath cent mine is VF 30 but non CAC Looks like a great coin. If you ever buy it back let me know. Really like the1795 for your box of 20.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@willy said:
    Great show report I love hearing from a dealers perspective about the shows. I could have used the wreath cent mine is VF 30 but non CAC Looks like a great coin. If you ever buy it back let me know. Really like the1795 for your box of 20.

It might be for sale again soon, I sold it to another dealer. I'll send you a pm and tell you who to reach out to, but I suggest sending an email to @Davidk7 to make sure we have your want list or coins that you would upgrade given the chance. I have 6 coins listed on the want list for you, but wreath cent isnt one of them.

When I buy a coin, I cross reference it with the master want list and if its not on there for anyone, then I'm not sure if I have a retail client for it. In this case, another dealer made me a pretty good offer on the coin, and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush 🤷‍♂️.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1795 dollar is a keeper. Great looking coin.
    Great report. Keep going!

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@abbyme24 said:
    Great read and it was nice meeting you! Was happy to see how busy your table was.

Thanks, great to meet you too Abby! Let me know when you get any cool toners across your desk. This one came in Friday and I love it!

Gorgeous koban! You weren’t kidding about the eye appeal on that one. I know I ribbed you a bit on the price but that is definitely a standout piece.

I have a few in the pipeline - you’ll be first to know!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very informative. Thanks for the writeup.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad we had a chance to talk at the show. Greats adds to your collection.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

And that 1800 $5 P58CAC was a very nice coin. It ended up in a perfect home.

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

great report and great pickups. congratulations !!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I'd expected, that was an excellent, most informative show report, not toot mention, a very good read! Congratulations on your first show and may your flights be better next time.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic report, DD!
    Hopefully I’ll see you over in Tampa.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, and I hope to meet you in Tampa.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed reading your report and nothing but the best moving forward as a dealer.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Previously I quickly read through your posting; but, didn't read your link until just now. I highly recommend reading about your experiences to everyone. Especially appreciated your comment about trading in "bullion."

Flying 1st class, I don't know - I could use the extra leg room; but, I rather spend my money on coins.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2024 8:21AM

Love the Flowing Hair Dollar!! <3B)

Very interesting report.

Glad that your business is off to a good start.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:
    @DisneyFan

Another point about first class-

Also, for a red-eye for us West Coasters, it's enormously worth it. My flight to the ANA took off at midnight and landed at 6am. For an extra $300, I was able to actually sleep on the plane, which is about the price of a hotel room.

If not for the ability to sleep comfortably, my first day at the ANA would have been incredibly unpleasant (or more likely I just wouldn't have gone). As it was, I had a fantastic time and was refreshed and energetic. Well worth the money IMO.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m 6’2” and I’m at a stage in life if my flight is longer than 3 hours I will almost always fly first class.

@PeakRarities said:

Every now and then I seem to put my foot in my mouth and somehow what I say comes out the wrong way.

In no way did I mean to put you down for flying first class. It makes perfect sense for you. I'm just in a different financial situation and do everything I can think of to save money, including finding free parking spaces, so I can justify my extravagance of buying coins. :smile:

@DisneyFan said:

@PeakRarities said:

Every now and then I seem to put my foot in my mouth and somehow what I say comes out the wrong way.

In no way did I mean to put you down for flying first class. It makes perfect sense for you. I'm just in a different financial situation and do everything I can think of to save money, including finding free parking spaces, so I can justify my extravagance of buying coins. :smile:

Oh no, I didn't mean to come off defensively, nor did I think you were putting me down. I was just sharing my experience with dabbling with first class the past couple years. Historically, I've always tried to save money on flights and take the most economical approach. Hell, I still fly spirit here and there when they have the only direct flights lol.

That's what life is all about though, sharing our experiences with each other, and learning new things. The next time you have a long flight (>3 hrs), I encourage you to consider trying first class if the price difference isn't astronomical. Like @lermish says, it can be well worth the extra money depending on the circumstances, but if coach is $500 and FC is $2,000, then Im flying coach :) .

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@PeakRarities said:

That's what life is all about though, sharing our experiences with each other, and learning new things. The next time you have a long flight (>3 hrs), I encourage you to consider trying first class if the price difference isn't astronomical. Like @lermish says, it can be well worth the extra money depending on the circumstances, but if coach is $500 and FC is $2,000, then Im flying coach :) .

I love reading about your experiences!

• psuman08psuman08 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Great read Dan, and congrats on those great additions.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have been looking for a Flowing Hair Dollar like that one in that grade for over 8 years.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@PeakRarities said:

I love reading about your experiences!

With domestic flights I've done it doesn't pay to fly 1st / business class. You can do just as well if you can get an emergency exit row in premium coach. You have 3 people in the aisle, not two, but you get the extra room. I can skip the 1st class meal, I bring my own food.

Went LAX - Chicago in June with the wife for a family event. Paid slightly more than coach fare for the seat above; a good $1,500 less per head than flying business class. Go LAX - DC, the price difference is more than that.

The splurge for business class is on international flights, where you get a bed and can actually sleep.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

@Elcontador said:
    Have been looking for a Flowing Hair Dollar like that one in that grade for over 8 years.

You’ll be first on the list when the time comes, I’m more of a “catch and release” collector if it’s nit part of my pioneer set.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Great show report. I had some time to talk with David at "your" table, and also Buffalo Ed. Glad you overcame all the travel issues to get to Chicago.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    I’m 6’2” and I’m at a stage in life if my flight is longer than 3 hours I will almost always fly first class.

Same here - height & stage of life. Sometimes I’ll fly exit row, especially on red eyes. The middle seat is often empty on those. Otherwise, it’s first.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file