Home U.S. Coin Forum

I think maybe I’ve been selling my raw coins too cheaply..,

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 16, 2024 7:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

67 is a stretch.

Many happy BST transactions
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2024 8:26AM

There's no way that's a 67.

Summer student at NGC??

Could be a typo.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

NGC ms67 on Heritage..............(big difference)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

Yes, quite the difference between NGC and PCGS.

Still begs the question how did yours get a 67, even at NGC?

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2024 8:45AM

@DoubleEagle59 said:

Anyone can pick and choose a poor or fantastic example. One coin is hardly an indicator of NGC being looser than PCGS.

Edit: I'm referring to the other two coins in this thread, not the OP one.

Coin Photographer.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    Looks like a mechanical error to me.

Maybe. But if you can’t know how a coin ended up in a 67 holder, does it matter how it happened? It’s a 67 now.

Andy Lustig

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@FlyingAl said:

Maybe. But if you can’t know how a coin ended up in a 67 holder, does it matter how it happened? It’s a 67 now.

Even if one sells it for strong 65 money that would still be a win vs the actual quality. I don’t see anybody paying 67 money.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@FlyingAl said:

I would disagree. It's just a 64 in a 67 holder.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • FrankHFrankH Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a numbers game now. :s

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@FlyingAl said:

NGC did the right thing on this coin:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1074252/how-new-top-pop-1874-t#latest

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    I disagree. Could I order a few please?

ill take the rest

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

Anyone can pick and choose a poor or fantastic example. One coin is hardly an indicator of NGC being looser than PCGS.

That was a random pic from PCGS's Photograde the MS67 Example. And it is hardly just one coin, in fact it's thousands of coins and yes a major undeniable indicator of lucy loose. :D

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definitely indicative. Of something.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....

@ms71 said:
    It's definitely indicative. Of something.

I would tend to agree.

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stealer said:

@MrEureka said:

@FlyingAl said:

NGC did the right thing on this coin:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1074252/how-new-top-pop-1874-t#latest

Looks like it was a mechanical error as its now a 64+ and not 67+

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6266691-004/64/

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my view, the fact that the label says MS67 doesn’t make this any more of a 67 than that MS65 label makes the proof cent in the other thread mint state. Nor does it indicate anything about how loose a particular service is. It does suggest that neither TPG is perfect and errors slip through sometimes.

• So, buy the coin, not the holder still, right? ;)

So I suppose a cac sticker would be out of the question?
    I just saw some beautiful gold coins in N holders at GC so it couldn’t possibly represent 100% but maybe just enough to be indicative. 😂

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2024 1:20PM

“Mechanical error”…yea sure lol

@FlyingAl said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

Sorry Alex, I know you’re fond of NGC but I would encourage you to concede here. NGC is absolutely looser when it comes to high grade gold, and it can be factually demonstrated with thousands of examples. That’s not to say that they’re “wrong”, but the line is definitely loose in comparison to pcgs.

With that said, the OP coin is not a superb gem by any standard…

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondering if another lesser coin was swapped into that holder? I'm leaning mechanical error.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure where to start so there arguably could be no end. Take a moment to be thankful.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should have bought that nice 1925 $ you had in the case.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we discuss this and not bash TPGs? The older thread was closed because of that.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

@JimTyler said:

Nobody bought it. I’m going to have to send it in now and post the results to this thread in a few months! 😂

Andy Lustig

@PeakRarities said:

@FlyingAl said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

Sorry Alex, I know you’re fond of NGC but I would encourage you to concede here. NGC is absolutely looser when it comes to high grade gold, and it can be factually demonstrated with thousands of examples. That’s not to say that they’re “wrong”, but the line is definitely loose in comparison to pcgs.

I'll concede that NGC is probably looser by a point or so. With that said, throwing up a PCGS 67 that's blazing with luster and is super mark free and will probably upgrade one day is not really a fair comparison in my eyes. Granted, the NGC coin is probably better off in a 66 holder. My point was there are examples that go both ways and drawing a conclusion off of one coin pair is probably not the best idea.

I do truly believe the OP coin is a mechanical error though. The thing can't grade above 64.

Coin Photographer.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mechanical error.

@MrEureka said:

@JimTyler said:

Nobody bought it. I’m going to have to send it in now and post the results to this thread in a few months! 😂

I never looked at the reverse but if it is as nice as the obverse I’ll Zelle you the money unless you really want to send it in.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I know is if I owned the coin and wished to sell it, every single partying inspecting the $10 would offer me something way below what is printed on the label and I mean everybody without exception

@JimTyler said:

@MrEureka said:

@JimTyler said:

I never looked at the reverse but if it is as nice as the obverse I’ll Zelle you the money unless you really want to send it in.

I really want to send it in! Sort of like 10 LOL’s in the bush are worth more than $75 in hand, or something like that.

Andy Lustig

• MartinMartin Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@FlyingAl said:

And forever is

Martin

Let me know what it comes back so I know just how hard to kick myself in the ass.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Typekat said:
    I too saw that coin offered in my inbox this morning,
    and just about launched my Lucky Charms

So, collectively we are no longer boycotting Kelloggs?

peacockcoins

• M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    All I know is if I owned the coin and wished to sell it, every single partying inspecting the $10 would offer me something way below what is printed on the label and I mean everybody without exception

Unless you found someone such as myself that can't grade a coin to save their life. I buy the holder, not the coin. Lol!

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like there are error coins, this is an error holder....error grade.

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse pic from the NGC website:

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

@CRHer700 said:
    Can we discuss this and not bash TPGs? The older thread was closed because of that.

It isn’t really possible to discuss this absurd looking abomination without sounding critical. After all, these coins are not free and in fact their prices are based on their grades.
    Grades and strict standards that are set by the industry leading and market accepting top tier TPG.

But if it is by all means an acceptable 67 to you then so be it. And when it comes time to sell you may find a little criticism as well.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2024 8:18PM

@FlyingAl said:

@PeakRarities said:

@FlyingAl said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

I'll concede that NGC is probably looser by a point or so. With that said, throwing up a PCGS 67 that's blazing with luster and is super mark free and will probably upgrade one day is not really a fair comparison in my eyes. Granted, the NGC coin is probably better off in a 66 holder. My point was there are examples that go both ways and drawing a conclusion off of one coin pair is probably not the best idea.

I do truly believe the OP coin is a mechanical error though. The thing can't grade above 64.

I can only hope it's a mechanical error, the coin is not even close to 67 by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree the one coin posted is a blazer, however, id be curious to know how many 67s there are across all dates at PCGS vs NGC. PCGS doesn't make many $10 libs in 67.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@PeakRarities said:

@FlyingAl said:

@PeakRarities said:

@FlyingAl said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

I can only hope it's a mechanical error, the coin is not even close to 67 by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree the one coin posted is a blazer, however, id be curious to know how many 67s there are across all dates at PCGS vs NGC. PCGS doesn't make many $10 libs in 67.

NGC grades 0.04% of $10 Libs as 67, and PCGS grades 0.01% as 67s. That's a 4 to 1 ratio in favor of NGC, which is reflected in the coins IMO looking at a random sample on Heritage.

Coin Photographer.

I could see that, one out of four being graded correctly.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2024 7:02AM

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:

It isn’t really possible to discuss this absurd looking abomination without sounding critical. After all, these coins are not free and in fact their prices are based on their grades.
    Grades and strict standards that are set by the industry leading and market accepting top tier TPG.

But if it is by all means an acceptable 67 to you then so be it. And when it comes time to sell you may find a little criticism as well.

I understand, but I was only referring to a couple specific posts above, you know, I just want the thread to stay up, since it is an interesting topic to me.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm 🤷

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • LuxorLuxor Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember when NGC holdered this gem as an MS67? LOLOL

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:
    Does anyone remember when NGC holdered this gem as an MS67? LOLOL

I remember that coin!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file