Home Q & A Forum

Nic A Date

What is the community’s opinion on using nic-a-date to reveal dates on old Buffalo nickels that you can’t see the date?

Tagged:

Comments

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 545 ✭✭✭✭

It works but does leave damage to the surface. I would make sure it isn't a better variety that can be recognized without the date before trying it.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcutler is correct on both points. It's nitric acid. You're gonna reveal some early dates but study up on the pups of the key date buffs. Nic should be your last resort. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Used this stuff in the late 60's. Leaves a blackish mark around the date so every one knows what you did.
    I remember using an a acid nuetralizer ( I forget what exactly I used maybe baking soda paste??) Right after date showd up. Helped reduce the blackish stain. Still can tell the date was pulled up though , but does not look as bad.
    I remember finding a 1921-s nickel with that approach, and selling to a local B&M shop.
    Most slick date buffs are sold to jewelry dealers / craftsmen for decorations on belts, hats, money clips,and keychains ( i once had one of those).
    Some have tried on date slick SL Quarters. Not sure the results . Was long ago.
    Not sure many slick buffs are around anymore. Long ago there bags of these around..

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just came across this product on-line today. I had considered trying it, but I have some reservations after reading the post.
    Thanks for the information.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used the nitric acid dip to find out the date on my buffs many years ago.
    It worked but now 50 years later, I can't find any of those coins.
    I wonder if they disintegrated. lol!
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...