Home U.S. Coin Forum

1880 Seated Liberty Dime - Will it Cross - Should I have it Attributed?

ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just won this auction, don't have it in hand yet. I believe it is die variety F-102a (although someone tell me if I am wrong).
It is currently NGC MS67+ CAC.
I'm planning to cross it to CACG which is guaranteed to cross at at least MS67. Looking for opinions, I think it would be interesting debate:
a) Will it cross at MS67+ or just 67? I'm pretty sure there is no hope for 68. There's a lot of chatter on the leg.
b) Is it worth having attributed as F-102a and does a minor variety command any premium on a coin like this? I'm assuming CAC will recognize this variety as it appears PCGS does but there's only pop 1 in Coinfacts.
c) What theoretically has more value? NGC 67+ CAC or CACG 67?

Comments

• SensibleSal66SensibleSal66 Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Nice overall coin. I wouldn't do a thing to the old gal... :)

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is strictly a money decision. What will the coin bring in each type of holder at each possible grade?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read an article about CACG and early dimes.
    My take away was that they are pretty tough on early dimes (probably everything else too).
    If you do get it into a CACG holder you are golden.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. So far out of my league I won't embarrass myself with even a guess grade.
    Fortin lists this as an R 4 but shows no premium for this variety and it does not appear to be a top 100 variety so I would be less interested in putting notation on holder. Your coin though and congrats on that. James

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking piece! Imo, leave it as is.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to do anything, other than put it under a light and enjoy.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I should have explained that I am not a fan of NGC plastic and "not doing anything" is not an option.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2024 11:58AM

What is the NGC number on slab?

I would leave as is. Valuation - Would look at CDN CPG for CAC then estimate plus tackon. Would also reference NGC MV. Your the owner - you set the price, do your research then price it.

If doing any cross over stuff specify its current grade as minimum grade. I don’t take down grades / Lose money. I have enough FOH vs looking for more.

Additionally would leave alone - it’s NGC 67+ CAC works for me. Not a believer in taking points off the board. In it for all the money. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot taking a lower grade. As far as it being shot 68 you need to research that yourself. Look at some 68 pieces vs your coin.

Coins & Currency
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it alone.

I’d rather have a NGC 67+ CAC than a CACG 67 today. You can always cross it down the road should you so desire. I don’t know the series

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    Leave it alone.

I’d rather have a NGC 67+ CAC than a CACG 67 today. You can always cross it down the road should you so desire. I don’t know the series

He doesn't like the NGC holder the piece is in but likes the grade. We wouldn't be facing dilemmas like this if grading services did away with numbers and plus signs. Just call it "superb gem" and let the only number worth talking about be the price.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:

@skier07 said:
    Leave it alone.

He doesn't like the NGC holder the piece is in but likes the grade. We wouldn't be facing dilemmas like this if grading services did away with numbers and plus signs. Just call it "superb gem" and let the only number worth talking about be the price.

Over the years, I learned that if I like the coin and the price is right, I buy it. I do not pay for plus coins, but if I can get one upgraded to a plus and the downside is minimal, I send the coin in holder to try it. I do not try to change the plastic. My experiences have been almost always negative in getting a same grade cross, even though I've gotten some stickers for coins in the 'wrong' plastic.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
    edited August 5, 2024 2:17PM

A '+' is not trivial on this coin. As we all know, CAC doesn't consider the + when applying the sticker. But if it is worthy of a CAC '+' that puts this coin into elite territory:

If nothing else, I feel I have a duty to my heirs to get this into the best plastic because they won't know enough to try.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    I guess I should have explained that I am not a fan of NGC plastic and "not doing anything" is not an option.

So just cross it already. I crossed all my Legacy NGC coins even tho I like NGC plastic - CACG seems a better economic bet and I like the fresh holders. Only one + and it made it across. Mercury proof 67+. Hoped for a 68 but no dice.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

And why not cross it to PCGS?

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the new prong ngc holders.
    I would cross it over to CACG and since it is sticker it would minimally get into a ms67 CACG.
    You will win on all accounts.
    I rather have a CACG holder than an NGC holder.
    Thee plus is meaningless when it is in an ngc holder, especially if it is in a newer prong ngc holder imo

@alaura22 said:

I think the ultimate win is MS67+ in a CACG holder with a beautiful trueview. I think if it fails cross at 67+ to CACG I would try to get 67+ at PCGS and get it restickered. So far I'm not getting a lot of feedback other than Dan whether you all think the coin is worthy of CACG 67+.

• Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@alaura22 said:

I think the ultimate win is MS67+ in a CACG holder with a beautiful trueview. I think if it fails cross at 67+ to CACG I would try to get 67+ at PCGS and get it restickered. So far I'm not getting a lot of feedback other than Dan whether you all think the coin is worthy of CACG 67+.

That really is a hard call to make from a picture, particularly when you include the TPG random element. If you would be happy with a CACG 67 go for it, if not then don't is the only relatively sure thing that I can say. All the coins that I've crossed to CACG and sold brought a significant premium over NGC pricing, and yes all were stickered and none were + graded, so no risk involved.

• SensibleSal66SensibleSal66 Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

" Buy the coin, not the grade"

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the marks on the right leg would keep it from a 67+.
    I would try a crossover with PCGS and if it doesn't then CACG as the final place if you can't live with it in a NGC holder.
    Good luck

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

a) No
    b) No
    c) CACG 67

Many happy BST transactions
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    A '+' is not trivial on this coin. As we all know, CAC doesn't consider the + when applying the sticker. But if it is worthy of a CAC '+' that puts this coin into elite territory:

If nothing else, I feel I have a duty to my heirs to get this into the best plastic because they won't know enough to try.

Thats PCGS pricing. You need to look at NGC and CACG pricing.

I would keep it in its current holder.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file