Home U.S. Coin Forum

Shopping for a Morgan Proof questions.

Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2024 12:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've got a budget of 5k. I don't want to get buried. Recently there was a thread about a $5k budget, coincidentally that's my budget.
A few questions please.
What can I expect to buy for
that kind of money meaning grade and year.
I really want a white proof not one covered with toning unless there is good reason to buy one toned for originality reasons.
Should I save more or possibly pay less?
I don't want to get buried because I didn't educate myself enough.
So I am asking for help and guidance.
This forum has helped me out plenty of times and I appreciate it.
If you have one please post an image!
I'd like to be inspired.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

Comments

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've owned a number of contemporary proofs but not specifically a Morgan. But, I think similar guidelines would apply.

I like cameos and would try to stretch to buy a cameo coin.

Don't be seduced by the mirrors on a high end 62/low end 63; you'll notice the hairlines and they will (probably) bother you down the road.

Good luck, keep us posted!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:
    I've got a budget of 5k. I don't want to get buried. Recently there was a thread about a $5k budget, coincidentally that's my budget.
    A few questions please.
    I really want a white proof not one covered with toning unless there is good reason to buy one toned for originality reasons.
    I'd like to be inspired.

Great advice from Mr. Feld. I'd also add that I'd take advantage of in-person auction lot viewing at a major show to learn your likes as well as for education.

Consulting the CPG CAC values, a generic PR64 date w/CAC is valued at 5.4K, PR65 CAC at 6.9K, PR66 CAC at 9.4K. If it were my money and the date didn't matter, I'd prefer a CAC verified example.

You'll want to discover your comfort level with the amount of hairlines seen between these grade levels. Pictures will often hide these so in-hand viewing is vital.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to echo the excellent advice given above and add something that was touched upon, but perhaps not hammered upon. That is, while images are great and can allow someone to look at scores of coins in a short period of time, they are by no means a true indicator of quality for large, nineteenth century proof coinage. You have to look at these coins in-hand and rotate them under a light and look at not only what you like about each coin, but just as importantly what you don't like, as well. These pieces in-hand give so much more information and you will need that when you buy.

Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I'd like to echo the excellent advice given above and add something that was touched upon, but perhaps not hammered upon. That is, while images are great and can allow someone to look at scores of coins in a short period of time, they are by no means a true indicator of quality for large, nineteenth century proof coinage. You have to look at these coins in-hand and rotate them under a light and look at not only what you like about each coin, but just as importantly what you don't like, as well. These pieces in-hand give so much more information and you will need that when you buy.

Good luck!

And the points made by @Catbert and @TomB are well worth hammering upon! There’s no substitution for in-hand viewing of coins. And better yet, is if you’re able to do so with a highly knowledgeable collector or dealer who’s willing to help you learn.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as Ebay is concerned, do as Mark recommended, with one concern, disregard the coins for sale, only be concerned with the sold auctions. Same with any avenue you turn down. Historical information and notice the date sold, if 2014 do not take it literally stay as recent as possible. If you do not go to coin shows, get someone here that is going to view some for you and perhaps get photos and the sellers info. Or if someone you know and trust allow them to make an offer for you. #1 mistake most people make when purchasing a coin area not familiar with is being in a HURRY. Take your time, more likely to fail at your objective than lose the #1 coin of all time. Just an opinion, I wish you the best of luck. If you stay near the PR64 area you should be able to succeed. For a nice coin in PR65 you may have to go a little higher.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would only buy with in hand inspection. ;)

• I would look Great Collections....they have Proof Morgans currently bidding from $350.00 to $350,000.00....they have a return on most coins...unheard of from Stacks and Heritage (at least that i know of)........

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would save till you can get something impressive for a proof Morgan

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

Good luck!

I was going to say something similar, but I'll add the key to where my mind was going: hairlines are VERY easy to hide in photographs (often inadvertently, not maliciously). When you're used to modern proofs, hairlines all but don't exist, but on classic proofs, they can be all over a coin, even on coins pushing gem grades. One reason I don't consider classic proofs too much is that they tend to be too hairlined for my taste at a price point where I'd be comfortable. Until my budget/desire changes, I'll likely continue to simply accept that they're a realm of collecting where I won't be able to get one that I like, and I'm okay with that. Whatever research I might do if I were buying one, though, I wouldn't buy one online without a very trusted eye taking a look at the coin in-hand for me.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2024 2:03PM

The best dates for cameos are the 1880-82 and 1896-98. If you want a white one, it's going to have been dipped at least once, so beware of white coins of these dates without really strong mirrors. Take your time, look at a lot of coins, not just pictures of them, and don't pull the trigger until you know why a specific coin is the one for you. Hairlines will be more apparent on white coins, and PR64 will have some.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is every proof Morgan available on Collectors Corner:
    https://www.collectorscorner.com/Category/Category.aspx?catId=744&pId=2

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:
    A few questions please.
    I'd like to be inspired.

While they are expensive, they are not by any stretch hard to find. Don't settle and wait until you find one you absolutely love.

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 375 ✭✭✭✭✭

cant have a proof morgan thread without more pictures....

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw both the Morgan and Trade Dollars I posted before I bought them. The Morgan Dollar was via “private treaty’,” and the Trade Dollar was via auction. I agree that it is almost impossible to gauge the quality of a Proof from photographs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that you should go to a large show (ANA, FUN, CSNS) and look at a number of them on the bourse floor and take your pick.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the response all sage advice.
    Seems like hairlines are inevitable.
    It's just how much I can tolerate. I am not in a rush. I have been looking but I don't want to "pull the trigger" without some guidance.
    I just missed the Bay State show where I am sure many could have been found just for viewing.
    Cameo or at least a light cameo is a must for me.
    I do have a dealer friend who attends major shows and auctions.
    I will chat with him.
    Once again thank you guys for chiming in.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck w/ your search, they are truly awesome coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file