Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Safe Deposit Box is too short.

FrankHFrankH Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a new box in a bank very near the house. Problem is the height. 3 inches. :s
Even on its side a PCGS box doesn't fit. :|
I keep bacon in the fridge in a plastic box that would fit. Maybe even two stacked.
Coins would have to be laid in and not upright.
Anyone here have other bright ideas?

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 6:10PM

They are out of stock at Wizard, but these in a gallon sized ziplock with a desiccant cartridge in with them might be an option

Mr_Spud

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying for a solution where the slabs wouldn't just float all around. Thinking flat stacked and poly bagged.
    I have some Intercepts.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 6:32PM

Large home safe bolted to the floor. And the best coins in the bank vault with cases like Mr_Spud posted.

Most of my coins are raw so it is very easy with 2 by 2 cardboard mylar's. I just use small cardboard jewellery boxes for the few I have graded and put them in my bank vault.

The Cotton easily comes out. Make sure you buy the right size boxes.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not know the box dims (i.e., L x W).

How about these pages for slabs trimmed to size, in an Intercept zip-lock bag?

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 6:48PM

@johnny010 , c'mon. You have to know that is just pure trolling, right? You're better than that. There is crime everywhere and always has been. People have desired to protect their valuables every second of every day for all of human history. We see posts on here all the time from all across the world where people have had coins stolen, in lots of states, with lots of different viewpoints on any number of topics (like guns, or law enforcement, or criminal punishment, etc).

What if you go on vacation? You leave everything unlocked and coins sitting out? What if you have a big house party with lots of guests and catered help? What if you have housekeepers or handymen or anyone else in your house you don't know at any time? What if there's a fire or a flood? Do you just sit on your coins like a mother hen?

I live on land in a suburban/rural, predominantly red area. I own guns, work from home most of the time, have cameras and a dog, and a big safe bolted to the concrete foundation. My coins still stay in a safe deposit box.

@johnny010 said:
    My house stays unlocked and so do the rooms. Just move to a safer state?

There is no atmosphere on the moon.

edited August 2, 2024 6:58PM

@Mr_Spud said:
    They are out of stock at Wizard, but these in a gallon sized ziplock with a desiccant cartridge in with them might be an option

Mr. Spud (or anyone) what is the side (width ?) measurement in inches of the Intercept slab boxes?
    They might be able to be stored sideways in rows. :)

@FrankH said:

Mr. Spud (or anyone) what is the side (width ?) measurement in inches of the Intercept slab boxes?

Link

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    My house stays unlocked and so do the rooms. Just move to a safer state?

Funny you mention that, but my in-laws have never locked the house doors, car doors, and have left the garage doors open almost 12 hrs a day and have never in the 40 years I have been in the family had an issue. My house has alarms, guns, cameras and I double check and triple check the locks, especially at night time. Neighbors are all heavily armed, so it’s a fortress around here.
    I’m so envious of your area as well. Someday I may make the move.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made these and got the large box. I can stack these in there.

@MetroD said:

@FrankH said:

Link

Might just work. 2 5/8 .... should.... clear the lid of the box.

:)

@Herb_T said:
    I made these and got the large box. I can stack these in there.

LARGE boxes are nowhere to be found nowadays. Used to have easy time finding.

• BigtreeBigtree Posts: 223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:

@MetroD said:

@FrankH said:

Link

I have the same size SDB and the intercept box unfortunately doesn’t fit.

@Bigtree said:

@FrankH said:

@MetroD said:

@FrankH said:

Link

So, bacon storage box ? Guess so. :/

@Bigtree said:

Did you have trouble with the "double protection box" (min. overall dimension of 3.25"), or the individual "single slab boxes" (overall width of 2.63")?

@MetroD said:

@Bigtree said:

Did you have trouble with the "double protection box" (min. overall dimension of 3.25"), or the individual "single slab boxes" (overall width of 2.63")?

I.....just.... measured the ones I have and I.....think.... without the lid...it MAY..fit.
    I'll try today.

I know tubes of bullion will fit but I was hoping to put some better coins in also.

We'll see

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just rent a larger SDB? Or two SDBs.

3 rim nicks away from Good
    edited August 3, 2024 9:46AM

@Barberian said:
    Why not just rent a larger SDB? Or two SDBs.

Good idea. WHERE ? Boxes locally disappear quickly. This damn one was only available for ONE MORNING.
    :o

Also I have 2 that fit at a different bank. THIS one is at my credit union.

How much is a ....rattler..... safe deposit box worth?
    (empty but ........rattling) :D:D:D

• BigtreeBigtree Posts: 223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@Bigtree said:

The former. The single slab boxes fit fine and are a good option I think.

@Bigtree said:

@MetroD said:

@Bigtree said:

The former. The single slab boxes fit fine and are a good option I think.

Measured myself. The lids are too wide. :'(

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I left the SDB's a long time ago. Got a Class B gun safe that i store guns/ammo in the right side and coins/collectables in the left side, bolted to the concrete floor. I have nothing that would cause a house fire to burn above normal temperatures, which there is never a guarantee that coins will survive as you never know until a fire occurs how good your safe is. But as to a thief or thieves stealing or breaking into the safe, I feel fairly confident. I have silent alarms and my family lives around me and someone is always home, plus the non silent alarms...2 125+ lb dogs. Just saying. SDB's have gotten so small that you must have a large expensive SDB in order to put an album or slab boxes in regardless of the amount. 20 years ago I switched to Wayte Raymond Albums for the size alone and still have several along with Dansco, Littleton et al.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every thread about SDBs seems to attract a lot of folks that want to tell us about their gun fortresses. I have had a gun safe myself at times so I have nothing against them, but it just seems these answers are beside the point.

As for SDBs, they are definitely getting scarcer and more difficult to acquire. I have tried to get a second one a little closer to home and the only ones available are too small to be practical.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a nice 10" x 10" i might let go to the highest bidder.........

@breakdown said:
    Every thread about SDBs seems to attract a lot of folks that want to tell us about their gun fortresses. I have had a gun safe myself at times so I have nothing against them, but it just seems these answers are beside the point.

As for SDBs, they are definitely getting scarcer and more difficult to acquire. I have tried to get a second one a little closer to home and the only ones available are too small to be practical.

"Too small to be practical" is right.
    BUT.... ya takes what ya kin git.

:|

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The safe deposit boxes I use are deep enough to put PCGS or NGC plastic boxes in them. That takes up a lot of space, however, so only my really expensive coins get that "honor." I put the other slabs in plastic bags that are made for the purpose. It keeps the slabs from scratching each other.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 3" tall SDB and all slab boxes fit fine. PCGS boxes are 2.7" on their side.

@VanHalen said:
    I have a 3" tall SDB and all slab boxes fit fine. PCGS boxes are 2.7" on their side.

Not in mine. I'm adjusting. Tubes of 1oz golds fit fine. :)

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

as I've said a million times, you can't rely on your bank! you need a plan, you and your neighbors all need monitoring of entry and exit to the neighborhood, investigation of all non-residents, robust perimeter trips and cameras, pre-buried IEDs, perimeter flash bangs and claymores in tricky places, unusual tough security doors and windows, trap doors, vicious dogs, an aggressive large reptile, an unintuitive floorplan with dead ends and automated trap gates, an AI 30mm autocannon over the subbasement entry area, subbasement man cave with heavy safe bolted to concrete, a railed ventilated boobytrapped tunnel to a secure garage 100 yards away, quality survival and attack equipment, a fine silk aloha shirt, gourmet mustard taster, remote coin photography work, equipment and chemicals to dissolve diseased livestock, what am I forgetting?

@tcollects said:
    as I've said a million times, you can't rely on your bank! you need a plan, you and your neighbors all need monitoring of entry and exit to the neighborhood, investigation of all non-residents, robust perimeter trips and cameras, pre-buried IEDs, perimeter flash bangs and claymores in tricky places, unusual tough security doors and windows, trap doors, vicious dogs, an aggressive large reptile, an unintuitive floorplan with dead ends and automated trap gates, an AI 30mm autocannon over the subbasement entry area, subbasement man cave with heavy safe bolted to concrete, a railed ventilated boobytrapped tunnel to a secure garage 100 yards away, quality survival and attack equipment, a fine silk aloha shirt, gourmet mustard taster, remote coin photography work, equipment and chemicals to dissolve diseased livestock, what am I forgetting?

No Apache helicopter circling overhead? B)

@BillJones said:
    The safe deposit boxes I use are deep enough to put PCGS or NGC plastic boxes in them. That takes up a lot of space, however, so only my really expensive coins get that "honor." I put the other slabs in plastic bags that are made for the purpose. It keeps the slabs from scratching each other.

Ask me how slabs get scratched if a PCGS box full of slabs falls out of the safe onto the floor while being....... "arranged."

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:

You are forgetting to take your meds. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:

@BillJones said:

Ask me how slabs get scratched if a PCGS box full of slabs falls out of the safe onto the floor while being....... "arranged."

I’m not sure what your question is, but one need only look at slabs that have had a few rounds in auction boxes to see how “naked slabs” can get scratched.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@FrankH said:

@BillJones said:

I’m not sure what your question is, but one need only look at slabs that have had a few rounds in auction boxes to see how “naked slabs” can get scratched.

But all the dealers are meticuloulsly careful at shows. :D

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:

@tcollects said:

No Apache helicopter circling overhead? B)

...a failure of imagination

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

SDBs are very expensive. I’m a preferred customer and I’m paying $350/year for a large SDB that holds ten PCGS boxes.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

North of Gainesville, Florida.

Lots of SDBs available for a good price where I bank, particularly larger boxes (5x10, 10x10). I rent two 5x10 boxes, each large enough to store slab boxes, 2x2 slide boxes, and albums. The two 5x10s are $5 cheaper a year than a 10x10.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been thinking I could use another SDB... so checked one of the closest banks to my location. Yikes.... a 10x10x22" is available, only $45 per year! Guess I better try to get that one locked in..... could be quite heavy when filled though. But can't beat the price!

----- kj
  • abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

A lot of banks seem to be phasing SDBs out. I’m not sure why, maybe less demand now that a lot of things are digital? I think most people use them for important documents vs. collectibles.

I bank with USAA for personal and Capital one for my dealing business (since they have no foreign transaction fees), but neither one offers SDBs.

Luckily Hugh Wood was happy with the security of the datacenter I lease space in for another business. It doesn’t have a vault like a bank, but there is 24/7 security and multiple layers of biometric access controls to get through in order to get to my space. It’s also humidity and temperature controlled so the coins are quite happy sitting in a rack next to some servers 😄.

edited August 5, 2024 2:16PM

@tincup said:
    Been thinking I could use another SDB... so checked one of the closest banks to my location. Yikes.... a 10x10x22" is available, only $45 per year! Guess I better try to get that one locked in..... could be quite heavy when filled though. But can't beat the price!

I had a nice large one at a VERY inconvenient credit union.
    Their POLICY is that the box holder IS NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE THE BOX OUT ....soo.
    I say okay, you lift it and bring it to "the little room." :D:D

She got to pick up a couple hundred bullion ounces that scattered on the floor.
    .....EVERY ONE !!!!!! :#

(about 20 didn't fall) Tube lids are less than securely held.

@abbyme24 said:
    A lot of banks seem to be phasing SDBs out. I’m not sure why, maybe less demand now that a lot of things are digital? I think most people use them for important documents vs. collectibles.

I bank with USAA for personal and Capital one for my dealing business (since they have no foreign transaction fees), but neither one offers SDBs.

Luckily Hugh Wood was happy with the security of the datacenter I lease space in for another business. It doesn’t have a vault like a bank, but there is 24/7 security and multiple layers of biometric access controls to get through in order to get to my space. It’s also humidity and temperature controlled so the coins are quite happy sitting in a rack next to some servers 😄.

Phasing out as:
    1. Eats profit
    2. Uses time
    3. Fewer people have anything to guard. :(

I have always ...thought.... that a location divided into separate cubicles (or small rooms) that the RENTER could pay for a private alarm system.... as well as overall surveillance of entire area....would be something that I think could be useful and profitable.
    Only thing, it would have to be in a large enough city to be practical.

• abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2024 2:23PM

@FrankH said:
    I have always ...thought.... that a location divided into separate cubicles (or small rooms) that the RENTER could pay for a private alarm system.... as well as overall surveillance of entire area....would be something that I think could be useful and profitable.

That isn’t much different than self storage I think, aside from not having power outlets to setup your own alarm. But I think most of them are 24/7 security and they have cameras and access controls for both the parking lot and the building.

edited August 5, 2024 2:35PM

@abbyme24 said:

@FrankH said:

That isn’t much different than self storage I think, aside from not having power outlets to setup your own alarm. But I think most of them are 24/7 security and they have cameras and access controls for both the parking lot and the building.

You're right. When we lived in a different city, there was a storage site with live-in management on site.
    They had a unit directly in front of their cottage. :)

I put a big safe in it. It was nice. <3

But, as you say....inside power would be ideal. Overall space alarmed but the individual units could have whatever security they wanted.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:

@tincup said:

Oh man..... that had to be an attention getter when those hit the floor!! Hopefully just bullion and no high value high grade stuff!

----- kj

@tincup said:

@FrankH said:

@tincup said:

Oh man..... that had to be an attention getter when those hit the floor!! Hopefully just bullion and no high value high grade stuff!

Yes it was. Enough to change that silly policy. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file