Home U.S. Coin Forum

What bit of lesser-known, specialized knowledge would you hope to pass on to future collectors?

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether it be the minting process, metallurgy, wild knowledge of patterns, errors, grading, dealing, or just oddball subject? I know some of you guys are practically savants when it comes to this sort of thing.

I just shared some knowledge ricko gave me years ago that was super helpful to a lot of people, so I thought I'd ask here what your "capstone" or Number 1 contribution would be if you had to choose.

Please feel free to go all out. If the response here is great I'd like to do a formal writeup or compilation of this thread to share with other communities.

Comments

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before he died, I spoke at length with J. Cline about FH SLQs. If you're going to get a Type II FH, get one with a complete full head. You want a full ear and the three sprigs jumping out at you if at all possible. I have a 28 S like this, which is rare for a branch mint coin. Didn't pay a premium for it either, but this was many years ago.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy early mint errors and take pleasure in discovering how they were made through the minting process. The early Mint was basic in operation, yet there is still so much new information to uncover through the coins that were created hundreds of years ago. I heavily study Capped Bust half dollar mint errors because they are large, more affordable, and contain a wide variety of error types available for purchase (with great patience). Teaching others about early mint errors and how they were created is a blast.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking of making an online museum someday of my early Beistle and Wayte Raymond albums and then donating the albums to ANA

Mr_Spud

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit detection. Coins and as important...holders.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 5:51PM

In the grading and stickering game, stick with rare and expensive coins. You'll go broke on fees for the lesser coins and often never get above water in them. They also tend to out-appreciate the more common ones. A collection/inventory of 100 $10,000 coins is a far more recommended way to spend a million bucks over 10,000 $100 coins.

That's more advice, rather than specialized knowledge. I'll have to think about that more.

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you aren't experienced but want to become so, ask a senior collector whatever the question is?

Collect foreign coins cautiously. Well, all coins but foreign especially.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jacrispies said:
    I enjoy early mint errors and take pleasure in discovering how they were made through the minting process. The early Mint was basic in operation, yet there is still so much new information to uncover through the coins that were created hundreds of years ago. I heavily study Capped Bust half dollar mint errors because they are large, more affordable, and contain a wide variety of error types available for purchase (with great patience). Teaching others about early mint errors and how they were created is a blast.

I sold a double lettering CBH that I scored on ebay for cheap and I don't think I've ever recovered. I still think of it time to time. Very cool coins. Would love to see some pics of some of your favorites if you wouldn't mind.

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

@jacrispies said:

I sold a double lettering CBH that I scored on ebay for cheap and I don't think I've ever recovered. I still think of it time to time. Very cool coins. Would love to see some pics of some of your favorites if you wouldn't mind.

Glad you enjoy the same! There is something magical about the busties. Here is a thread of many bust errors:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1098428/bust-boo-boos-post-your-bust-errors/p1#pagetop

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

.... lesser known, specialized knowledge huh?

Coin collecting can be fun, and while grades, plastic, stickers and registries can add to the fun, those things can also detract from it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file