Home U.S. Coin Forum

An Anniversary today.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Six years ago today I had the distinct pleasure of sitting down across the table with the Man, the Myth, the Legend, Mr. Richard A. Ormandy, the one and only @ricko, near his home in New York State. It was something we'd talked about for a few years and finally had the chance to make happen. By strange coincidence, yesterday happens to be the 1 year Anniversary of his most untimely death on Tuesday, August 1st, 2023. I miss my friend.

Like many others here, I had gotten to know Rick in the context of threads but we became "friends" via PM's. He had a dry wit, sharp mind and wealth of knowledge on a wide range of topics. During my 20+ years as an active PCGS forum member and collector I have met a number of members at shows and even a few in public, social settings. I have to say that meeting @ricko was perhaps the highlight of all that. It's funny, we met in person only that one time for less than 2 hours, but it was so easy to be in his company. He was engaging, his smile and laughter came easily and he welcomed my Girlfriend as though he'd known her his entire life.

It's interesting to me that as we age the things we carry to the end get whittled down to what's really been important in our lives. I think such will be the case with Rick. Somewhere along the line he got into my heart. I feel that I'm a better person for having known him and richer for having shared a meal together. I hope I can honor his memory.

Maywood.

Comments

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never communicated with him, but enjoyed his posts over the years.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

I communicated with @ricko only a few times through PM's, but he was definitely a scholar and a gentlemen. He saw and appreciated everything that was good in people. Very few better men have lived.

We are all better for having known him.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 8:01AM

Thanks for sharing, and Rest in Peace to the true King of the Forums @ricko

I had hoped he would reach the 100,000 post mark but that was cut a bit short...

A true gentleman, I am pleased I was able to talk with him over the years digitally and for this piece he sold me that is now in my forever collection.

Cheers

It's all about what the people want...

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss the guy. He brought a lot of fun to the forum.

Larry

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had the chance to meet him but loved his acerbic wit, superb knowledge, humanistic attitude, and of course, his affinity for the 1911.

Drunner

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 8:06AM

Great Heartfelt post!
    Yes, RickO.
    a true friend in the sense of the word!
    Even though, we never spoke physically to each other. In his PM's and posts, it almost made it seemed we did.
    Such a flair for the hobby and conversations.
    Yes, Maywood, the man surely is missed. I just love his involvement or funny criticism of the "tarnished coin"
    😆
    He was just a fine gentleman and a scholar!
    He gave me a beautiful 2000 Cheerios Cent in its original packaging!
    Along with a letter and his sentiments.
    When I find it I'll post it.
    We learned alot from RickO.
    Hopefully, his precious family did the same?
    Thanks my friend for posting and being a friend to our RickO!
    Great pictures too!
    🙂❤

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you told him his shirt was tarnished

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

all good memories with with him. he is missed

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too,, miss RickO. He was among the first to greet me on CU. I came to appreciate his insightful and encouraging ways. I found out he collected challenge coins and I was glad to present him with 2 interesting pieces from my previous life work. We honor him by the quality of our participation here. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• maymay Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for everything, RickO.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 9:46AM

I really appreciated all the help he gave me. He was a great source of knowledge which he shared so willingly. Thanks, Ricko.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• mattnissmattniss Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 9:12AM

Thanks for sharing @Maywood -- certainly hope RickO is enjoying cherrypicking all the blast white coins in the great bourse in the sky.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was lucky enough to meet Rick once at the Boeing Show, near Seattle. Great guy, and a huge contributor to this forum. I loved how he stood his ground on ‘blast white’ coins. He loved what he loved. The forum just isn’t the same without him.

RIP RickO

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

As great as coin collecting can be, the relationships that we make as a result of it, can be even better.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• MarkMark Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood that was truly a generous post. You captured the essence of what @MFeld posted, the relationships that can be made.

Mark

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific post, @Maywood. To rIcko, the true GOAT.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

We miss Ricko on these boards.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post Maywood.

Ricko was a forum legend. His spirit lives on, Blast White of course, unsullied by any tarnish :)

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely post
    Old @ricko RIP

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

As he said without exception:"Cheers".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only pm’d him once or twice. But he always gave me his feedback and commented on everything that I posted. I liked that and he was very good natured and friendly. The place is just not the same without the guy….

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file