Home U.S. Coin Forum

8 months after sending Registered mail

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

My package shows up at PCGS. Go figure! I made an insurance claim, need to send USPS their insurance money back.

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2024 1:39PM

Wow, just wow!

That is very concerning whether it be to a coin dealer or a coin collector!

Doesn’t make me feel too secure, when shipping….

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭

With the paper trail of registered mail, the post office should have known exactly where the package was. I wonder if it fell behind something? Either way, they knew the last point of contact.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuff happens. When I got an email from PCGS about two submittals, I thought, “I haven’t sent in anymore coins”. Then after I thought about it and looked in my lost coins file, sure enough there they were listed.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Herb_T said:
    I made an insurance claim, need to send USPS their insurance money back.

After all they put you through, you should let them come to you looking for it. :#

Except they might bring a paddy wagon.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a "Mechanical Error". :D

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been there! And it's annoying when it happens. I wouldn't say anything/bring it up with the PO.....let them figure it out.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey. No one said registered mail was fast, just that it would get there safely. :p

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's some sorta conspiracy 👎

@M4Madness said:
    With the paper trail of registered mail, the post office should have known exactly where the package was. I wonder if it fell behind something? Either way, they knew the last point of contact.

I talk with the Postal Inspector who said everything was done properly…..I’m guessing that just got sat aside until someone tripped over it….and got it on its merry way. Unfortunately I recently tossed my stuff on it. Go figure!

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS: “Registered mail is the safest, most secure method to ship your valuable packages”. Uh, sure, whatever they say!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    USPS: “Registered mail is the safest, most secure method to ship your valuable packages”. Uh, sure, whatever they say!

It got there.

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

I had given up!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return the funds via "postage due" mail.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@rnkmyer1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

After 8 months, there was too much of an element of luck for it to be “safest & most secure” - JMO.

They didn't say fast...

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

How hard was it to get the claim paid by the USPS?

GrandAm :)
    edited July 29, 2024 9:49PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

I had given up!> @GRANDAM said:

They only paid for what I had “receipts”, like purchases from auction houses where I could show how it was paid (credit card). I had bought one coin from an established numismatist that they denied. I had to submit a claim appeal with lots of documentation that they allowed and paid. Patience is required for sure.

I should add that I had bought some coins from forum members and that was no go.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

Agree with @jmlanzaf here. The slogan didn't say it was "the quickest." Glad that your lost baby was found, @Herb_T!

I had one coming to me that was slooooww in arriving and after I hollered at the USPS a few times they said they'd hunt it down. They sent me a survey and said "how did we do in hunting it down?" (my phrasing) and I blasted them for NOT actually hunting it down... and the next day it arrived. The package had black machine roller marks on it, like it'd been jammed into a mechanical gadget that failed to disgorge it. (I tried to go back and say nice things on the survey, but it wouldn't let me edit it... ooops)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's something.
    Sending registered to Alaska is also an experience. The package will sit somewhere while they must ask everyone, "You going anywhere near Alaska?"......"Nope'.....

edited July 30, 2024 12:28PM

@Bikergeek said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

Agree with @jmlanzaf here. The slogan didn't say it was "the quickest." Glad that your lost baby was found, @Herb_T!

I had one coming to me that was slooooww in arriving and after I hollered at the USPS a few times they said they'd hunt it down. They sent me a survey and said "how did we do in hunting it down?" (my phrasing) and I blasted them for NOT actually hunting it down... and the next day it arrived. The package had black machine roller marks on it, like it'd been jammed into a mechanical gadget that failed to disgorge it. (I tried to go back and say nice things on the survey, but it wouldn't let me edit it... ooops)

I sent a $20k and a $10k comic via registered last week. I earned the customers that it could be slow, but it always gets there. [Not that 8 months isn't both unusual and ridiculous.] There's no more secure, cost effective way to ship high value packages.

It cost $84 (corrected) for the $20k package [FedEx wanted $180.] It did arrive in only 4 days in NYC. FWIW

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2024 4:11AM

@Herb_T said:
    My package shows up at PCGS. Go figure! I made an insurance claim, need to send USPS their insurance money back.

Technically if you got paid off on the insurance... doesn't USPS now own the coin?

@rte592 said:

@Herb_T said:

Technically if you got paid off on the insurance... doesn't USPS now own the coin?

Yes! At least the ones they paid the claim on.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS continues to impress less and less with each passing day.
    It starts at the top. Basic physics: s**t flows downhill.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@rte592 said:

@Herb_T said:

USPS DMM, Section 609, Sub-Section 5.7:

Link: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#ep1097274

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rte592 said:

@Herb_T said:

Yes. Exactly.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I wouldn’t do anything until the coins get graded and then get shipped back to you and are in your possession.

Mr_Spud

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

They only paid for what I had “receipts”, like purchases from auction houses where I could show how it was paid (credit card). I had bought one coin from an established numismatist that they denied. I had to submit a claim appeal with lots of documentation that they allowed and paid. Patience is required for sure.

I should add that I had bought some coins from forum members and that was no go.

Sounds like the USPS goes out of their way to deny legitimate claims after they lose or steal an insured package. How can you insure a rare coin that's been in your family for several generations if they require a receipt?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rte592 said:

@Herb_T said:

I wonder if the Price Guide showed lesser value than insurance value, if you could get more money back due to depreciation while in usps possession?

@bsshog40 said:

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rte592 said:

@Herb_T said:

I wonder if the Price Guide showed lesser value than insurance value, if you could get more money back due to depreciation while in usps possession?

I'm not sure you'd want to spend months in negotiation over that. If the price guide went up, would you want to pay more than the insurance value to get them back?

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bsshog40 said:

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rte592 said:

@Herb_T said:

I'm not sure you'd want to spend months in negotiation over that. If the price guide went up, would you want to pay more than the insurance value to get them back?

I hear ya! It was more of a joke. Forgot to add my lol. Lol

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2024 8:21AM

I've never had an express not get there intact. I'd think that a notarized letter stating value would be enough in a business where all we have is our word on insurance claims.

There is also a one day delivery option that FedEx offers: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/same-day.html

This was your original thread on the lost parcel: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1099713/lighting-struck-theft/p1

@PerryHall said:

@Herb_T said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

Sounds like the USPS goes out of their way to deny legitimate claims after they lose or steal an insured package. How can you insure a rare coin that's been in your family for several generations if they require a receipt?

Pre shipment appraisal.

@logger7 said:
    I've never had an express not get there intact. I'd think that a notarized letter stating value would be enough in a business where all we have is our word on insurance claims.

There is also a one day delivery option that FedEx offers: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/same-day.html

This was your original thread on the lost parcel: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1099713/lighting-struck-theft/p1

It's insurance that's the problem of you don't have a private insurance plan.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:

Read it again - no where does it say SPEEDY

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rte592 said:

@Herb_T said:

So make your Best argument to buy it back at face value :D

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

No, it absolutely doesn’t say speedy. It also doesn’t say 2/3 of a year.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

8 months is NOT “safe & secure” imo. That was my issue.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

@rnkmyer1 said:

@BStrauss3 said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

8 months is NOT “safe & secure” imo. That was my issue.

It's under lock and key. Registered mail doesn't sit out in the open.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure you'd rather have the coins than the payout. The USPS rule says so, can't put a $ amount on 8 lost months.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bikergeek said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

I sent a $20k and a $10k comic via registered last week. I earned the customers that it could be slow, but it always gets there. [Not that 8 months isn't both unusual and ridiculous.] There's no more secure, cost effective way to ship high value packages.

It cost $60 for the $20k package [FedEx wanted $180.] It did arrive in only 4 days in NYC. FWIW

A $60 charge for a $20,000 package is less than I would have expected. Is that their standard rate or do you have a top secret way to save on shipping?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bikergeek said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

It cost $60 for the $20k package [FedEx wanted $180.] It did arrive in only 4 days in NYC. FWIW

A $60 charge for a $20,000 package is less than I would have expected. Is that their standard rate or do you have a top secret way to save on shipping?

I pulled the receipt. I forgot i had some postage on it and the total was actually $84. I shall correct it.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bikergeek said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

I pulled the receipt. I forgot i had some postage on it and the total was actually $84. I shall correct it.

That still doesn’t sound bad to me.
    And unless I’m mistaken, even if you paid FedEx the $180, unless their policy has changed, you wouldn’t have been covered for anywhere close to the full value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Herb_T said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

What you could do to have ready as evidence in case you have to make a claim is photodocument the family heirloom coin. Take a picture of Redbook price. Use whatever price guide gives you the highest dollar number. One could also get a professional appraisal done, put into writing and signed.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:

@PerryHall said:

@Herb_T said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

What you could do to have ready as evidence in case you have to make a claim is photodocument the family heirloom coin. Take a picture of Redbook price. Use whatever price guide gives you the highest dollar number. One could also get a professional appraisal done, put into writing and signed.

As far as I know, the usps just wants an actual invoice for a transaction and work off that.

@logger7 said:

@mr1931S said:

@PerryHall said:

@Herb_T said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

As far as I know, the usps just wants an actual invoice for a transaction and work off that.

They will accept a number of different documentations, but some are harder to sell them in than others. An invoice usually sold right through but an objective appraisal also usually goes through without trouble. Things like price guides will be a much harder sell, especially for raw coins.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2024 4:15PM

@logger7 said:

@mr1931S said:

The USPS DMM has a clause specific to numismatic items that appears to provide alternate methods for determining FMV.

Section 609, Sub-Section 4.1.g

Link: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#ep1097212

Edited to add:
    jmlanzaf beat me to it. :)

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bikergeek said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

Did you pay full price for the added postage or was it 70 cent on the dollar Ebay stuff that you have to moisten with a sponge?

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bikergeek said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

It got there.

Did you pay full price for the added postage or was it 70 cent on the dollar Ebay stuff that you have to moisten with a sponge?

I sell it on ebay for under 70% if you need any. It's from my hoard, probably paid 50%. I sell stamps as well as coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file