Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dollar USA 1872 or not

Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2024 9:04AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys. Here is a thing that was sold some days ago in Russia for $400. What do you think about it? Thanks.

Peace.

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

I think fakey, fakey, fakey.

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit. Somebody is out $400.00

• Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

I think the same about it. Any opinions?

Peace.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it wasent putin 😝

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

• goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fake and not a good one.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seated Dollars have been heavily faked for the past 30 or so years with the quality of the fakes improving over time. This is a US type coin that you should just not buy unless it is in a major brand Third Party Grader/Authenticator (TPG) slab. Even if in the slab you should check the online photos of the coin at the TPG website to make sure it is the same coin as slabs themselves are being faked as well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Clearly a fake.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date does not have the right font and details are fuzzy. Bad, bad bad.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that any us coin being sold in Russia is a fake to begin with, then seeing it in hand would just confirm it

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your 1843.

Q:Look at the bagmarks on the 1872. Are they sharp and shiny, as genuine marks or dull and rounded within? A:The later-dull and rounded. These are bagmarks from the original coin picked up in the transfer process of creating a counterfeit die. They do not have the sharp and shiny look created by actual contact.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file