Home U.S. Coin Forum

Am I missing something? Cull Standing Liberty Quarter Ebay Lot

I was watching this lot for some hole fillers for my nephew's set of standing liberty quarters he's working on, and I was expecting this auction to end around maybe $150 or so for the lot. It ended at $531.. is there a diamond in the rough here?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/387219350082

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone thought that the 1918-S is the overdate. I can't see that it is.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Maybe someone thought that the 1918-S is the overdate. I can't see that it is.

It doesn't look like it to me.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2024 3:15PM

Some people probably thought this was a 23-S (it's 1924 merged with wear on the rim and top of pedestal, and could look like 1923 to someone unfamiliar with the script used on SLQs)

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

At $ 500.00, I was one of the underbidders, and it's a 23-S. The darkish toning in between digits indicates it and enlarging the pic, part of the bottom of the "3" is visible, albeit faintly. The seller did not reference it in his texting, mention three 23-P coins, but no 23-S.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevefromne said:
    At $ 500.00, I was one of the underbidders, and it's a 23-S. The darkish toning in between digits indicates it and enlarging the pic, part of the bottom of the "3" is visible, albeit faintly. The seller did not reference it in his texting, mention three 23-P coins, but no 23-S.

Good thing you didn't win, because I'm pretty certain it's a 1924-S and not a 1923-S. If you are still skeptical, you can see for yourself on PCGS CoinFacts:
    1923-S
    1924-S

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much to get excited about in my opinion. One bidder who thinks he sees something special. A shill enters and the lot goes for multiple's of its real market value. 30-day return privilege in place but the risk there is that the seller might claim you returned the lot not as it was sent out.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:
    Not much to get excited about in my opinion. One bidder who thinks he sees something special. A shill enters and the lot goes for multiple's of its real market value. 30-day return privilege in place but the risk there is that the seller might claim you returned the lot not as it was sent out.

Why can't it be two people who see something? Oh, that's right, you like to write bad fiction.

Why can't it be two people who see something?

That's what I'm saying. Two people who see something, seller and a shill. It happens more often on ebay than people want to think about. I don't condone the practice but don't condemn it either. Auction shilling is not illegal.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:

That's what I'm saying. Two people who see something, seller and a shill. It happens more often on ebay than people want to think about. I don't condone the practice but don't condemn it either. Auction shilling is not illegal.

Is it as common as two bidders seeing and desiring the same coin?

3 rim nicks away from Good

@Barberian said:

@mr1931S said:

The best thing a bidder can do is set a limit on how much willing to pay max for an item. Then abide by that simple rule. I used that rule again and again for myself on ebay but usually didn't "win" the item. 10% success rate doesn't cut it. Buy it now is the only way to go for me on ebay, the auction on ebay has gotten to be such a farce. Shilling, sniping, not for me, got better things to do with my time.

@mr1931S said:

@mr1931S said:

@mr1931S said:

In NY state and others, shilling is illegal. More fiction.

edited July 28, 2024 5:06AM

@Barberian said:

@mr1931S said:

No. He's just trying to agitate again.

And this is exactly the type of lot you would NOT shill because you would be more likely to simply win the lot because it has no clear value.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Barberian said:

@mr1931S said:

No. He's just trying to agitate again.

And this is exactly the type of lot you would NOT shill because you would be more likely to simply win the lot because it has no clear value.

I've got an opinion, no more, no less. Feel free to ignore my opinions instead of projecting your agitating, trolling self onto another which is me in this case.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:

@Barberian said:

@mr1931S said:

The best thing a bidder can do is set a limit on how much willing to pay max for an item. Then abide by that simple rule. I used that rule again and again for myself on ebay but usually didn't "win" the item. 10% success rate doesn't cut it. Buy it now is the only way to go for me on ebay, the auction on ebay has gotten to be such a farce. Shilling, sniping, not for me, got better things to do with my time.

None of what you wrote is an answer to the question you were asked.
    As for myself, I don’t know the answer to the question. But the listing being discussed looks like one where two legitimate bidders wanted the lot, not like shill bidding.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Well, I gladly exit this thread after these remarks:

Shill bidding is rampant on ebay. I do understand why some sellers engage in the practice with their shills but as a bidder on the receiving end of shill activity, I want no part of it. If one enjoys ebay auctions to try to "win" something that suits their fancy, by all means go for it. It's your money. Coded identities doing the bidding? What a crock. I learned by experience, making strong bids on ebay coins and losing, losing auctions time and time again. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. Again, the practice of shill bidding is rampant on ebay. ebay doesn't care about shill bidding. The seller "wins" his own auction. Isn't that dandy? If I'm looking to buy a coin on ebay it MUST be offered as BUY IT NOW and I'll pay strong money for an ebay coin that strikes my fancy and looks like one I can live with.

That's all I have to say on this matter.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks more like a 23-s to me.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 24-S to me based upon the straight leaning front on the 4 that extends to the "cliff."

The more I look at it, the more I think it's a 4

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Looks more like a 23-s to me.

I would agree, but then again I know that I have chronic relapsing pareidolia. ;)

@Barberian said:
    Looks like a 24-S to me based upon the straight leaning front on the 4 that extends to the "cliff."

The more I look at it, the more I think it's a 4

I would lean on agreeing with you. That "3" would be huge compared to the rest of the date if the we were saying that the bottom of the "3" is in the rim.

Also, with this much doubt, I wouldn't risk my money on poor pictures.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file