Home U.S. Coin Forum

Getting back in the saddle again

BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭
edited July 22, 2024 12:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Life events and circumstance led me away from my hobby as, I assume has happened to others out there. So after roughly 12+ years, I’ve made an old fashioned comeback. Being retired from both the Army and being a high school teacher, I’m now free to play and do somethings I enjoy.

I updated my CU account, evaluated my collection and current needs, registered on tons of coin dealer websites, wrote emails and sent out want lists, and joined the Barber Coin Collector’s Society. Oh, and just purchased my first XF Barber (since getting back into the hobby, I have a good amount now): A PCGS 1897-O. Semi keys and the big three are killing me.

Yesterday, I attended and joined a local coin club and bumped into an old friend. Bonus! Small club, but friendly. I introduced myself and obviously, stated my focus in the hobby. A 15 year old YN conducted a kick butt ANA update PowerPoint, which was pretty cool.

This club sponsors a fall coin show I heard they need three more tables to sell. I hope to volunteer in some fashion. Details in link.

I plan on joining the larger coin club next month who also host a fall show, so I’m excited. I hope to meet many new folks and become much more involved than ever before. I have much ground to make up due to my extended hiatus and age.

Edit: Forgot to mention that today is our 46th wedding anniversary! So, I’m having a great day!

Thanks for listening and waiting for comments from folks in similar situations.

John

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back to the hobby & happy anniversary! :)

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found that this hobby is always here when I need it and have some spare attention to send its way. Welcome back and wishing you success in your rejuvenated endeavors.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get it. I got back in the hobby a few years ago after about 15 years out.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, from what area do you hail?

• BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

LA (Louisville Area) :D

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you were a high school teacher.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back. It looks like you jumped in with both feet. Enjoy and congratulations on your 46th anniversary. Enjoy the journey.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back & best of luck in your collecting endeavors!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 409 ✭✭✭

Welcome back to the addiction.

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see another Barber fan! Looking forward to seeing some of your coins. Best, Eldo

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back! Sounds like you’re having a great time so far.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back and Happy Anniversary!

• AZDAVYAZDAVY Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Good time to come back. Being retired gives you the time to enjoy!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome home, John. Great to see that you have returned to the hobby.
    Happy 46th Anniversary, my 49th coming up this Dec. Best of luck with your Barbers.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back 🙏

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, yup there is life after work. I think it's great that you joined a local coin club. Looking forward to your participation here. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back and congratulations on your anniversary and retirement.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your service.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, and I love your excitement level!

Man, Barber coinage is an especially dark addiction. Would love to see a pic of the 97-O. I assume it’s a quarter?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back to our wonderful hobby. We never really leave, but may have to take a hiatus for a while. A lot of changes in the last 12 years. Best of luck!

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back.... I'm actually just starting an AU Barber Half Collection, so your re-entry is timely :D .

Here is one I picked-up last night on eBay, so hopefully it makes you feel welcome...

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.
    Welcome back @Barbercoin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back and thank you for your service.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, I know how excited you are, it happened to me about 12 years ago after a almost 20 year hiatus.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back! Like many we step away and come back. The hobby will still be here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file