Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ruined by @mr1931S; won't make this mistake again...

burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 24, 2024 7:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

X

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

perhaps also ask Roger Burdette on other forums

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:
    I am curious if anyone has a chart like the 1909-S VDB for 1931-S Lincolns?

I thought of @mr1931S when I created this post...

The 1931-S Lincoln is a low mintage cent minted in 1931 at the San Fransisco mint.
    The MM (mint mark) is below the date on the obverse (front side of the coin) just to the right of the
    portrait of Lincoln (the United States 16th president).

I hope this information was informative as well as educational and enjoyable.

peacockcoins

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

We did not have such a chart when I was at ANACS late 70’s, early 80’s. Wasn’t really a problem date back then. I think I saw one altered date that wasn’t very convincing.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

That has been his secret project, the book will be out in November and it will be in the style of Harsche. ;)

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    That has been his secret project, the book will be out in November and it will be in the style of Harsche. ;)

Maybe by Farcesch.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:
    This is a crib a friend sent me:

This is great! Thank you for it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

@mr1931S said:

@burfle23 said:
    This is a crib a friend sent me:

This is great! Thank you for it.

Five positions of 's' for 1931-S. 866,000 total mintage. Average obverse die life,173,200. Sounds about right.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Anyone here ever find a 1931-S in circulation? I can tell you all that of the thousands, many thousands, of Lincoln cents I searched for dates/mints for my collection back in the day, I found only one Lincoln cent bearing the date 1931, 1932, or 1933. It was a 1933-D.

• gorebelsgorebels Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

I’d pay BU money for one of the (6) VG08 certified by PCGS.

• CregCreg Posts: 257 ✭✭✭

The 1931 D that I put in my Whitman folder, sixty-years ago, was a ‘31 S when I looked through them recently. My uncle gave me an SVDB, 09 S, 14 D, the 31 S, and more semi-keys. He was fast and loose at trading, untrustworthy in a deal, and retired as an engraver at Bendix in Baltimore. I re-examine them every thread that that mentions fake wheats.

@Creg said:
    The 1931 D that I put in my Whitman folder, sixty-years ago, was a ‘31 S when I looked through them recently. My uncle gave me an SVDB, 09 S, 14 D, the 31 S, and more semi-keys. He was fast and loose at trading, untrustworthy in a deal, and retired as an engraver at Bendix in Baltimore. I re-examine them every thread that that mentions fake wheats.

If you get a chance, take a picture front and back of your SVDB. Feel free to post it in my "Trueview 1909-S VDB" thread. Images from your phone will work.

@burfle23 said:
    This also prompted the post; I "won" this example to keep someone from getting burned. The listings was removed for rather obvious reasons but I thought this image would make someone a great avatar here...

Are you able to post jpegs of the five known 's' positions of 1931-S LC? I think folks here would really find such images useful.

edited July 23, 2024 9:52AM

@mr1931S said:
    Anyone here ever find a 1931-S in circulation? I can tell you all that of the thousands, many thousands, of Lincoln cents I searched for dates/mints for my collection back in the day, I found only one Lincoln cent bearing the date 1931, 1932, or 1933. It was a 1933-D.

I too have only found one cent from 1931 to 1933, but mine is a 1932.

@gorebels said:

Why would you do this? Makes no sense.

@Creg said:

Your 1931-S has a "blob" 's'. Heavy wear? Maybe you should set it aside as special and try to get PCGS VG-8, or worse, on it. My brother cashed in on ebay recently selling some slicker silver dollars for big money. Slick pennies will fetch big dollars on ebay too.

edited July 22, 2024 6:58AM

Interestingly, I paid low circ money for this one; a dealer friend whom I helped out at a mid sized show some years ago flipped this and a few other trinkets to me as a favor for helping.

I paid $1 for a very collectible '14-D a few years ago. In a coin shop. I think the shop owner wanted to show his appreciation for all my business through the years. The 2x2 was labeled simply, "1914" and "$1". I still have that holder. Eventually, the piece was certified by PCGS as a genuine 1914-D Lincoln cent. Your dealer friend wanted you to have the gem 1931-S you have posted here. And that's really cool. B)

@mr1931S said:

@gorebels said:

Don't take this thread down too.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

daughtrey would know what's out there. Roger B. could potentially supply the mint records for how many dies were used

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • gorebelsgorebels Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:

@gorebels said:

Because a VG08 coin is far rarer than a BU coin. Same story with the (5) certified VF 55/55 DDO pennies.

@gorebels said:

@mr1931S said:

@gorebels said:

Because a VG08 coin is far rarer than a BU coin. Same story with the (5) certified VF 55/55 DDO pennies.

Circulated '50-D nickels are far rarer than uncirculated '50-D nickels. I found one awhile back in the bargain bin at the coin store. VF or so, it was priced at $5 as I recall. Maybe it's real value is more like $20 or really nice BU money? What do I do, what do I do? I passed on buying this rarity for $5 thinking at $5 not really a bargain.

1931-S penny in VG-8 is listed in 2024 Red Book at $85. 1931-S penny in Unc. is about a $200 coin according to my RB. Why would I pay about $200 for a '31-S in VG8 that is priced at $85 in the Red Book?

The moral of the story is don't give the pop reports more standing than your common sense when it comes to coin buying.

@CRHer700 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Maybe by Farcesch.

Angling to take burfle23's thread down are ya?

@braddick said:

@mr1931S said:
    The moral of the story is don't give the pop reports more standing than your common sense when it comes to coin buying.

And I'd add it is difficult to accept advice by the same person who had to have their middle school history tests returned face- down.

What in the h are you talking about?

@mr1931S said:

@CRHer700 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Maybe by Farcesch.

It was funny. Come on and just lighten up. We don't have to all be angry and serious all the time.

@CRHer700 said:

@mr1931S said:

@CRHer700 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Maybe by Farcesch.

It was funny. Come on and just lighten up. We don't have to all be angry and serious all the time.

So you expect me to laugh, lighten up because you think "Farcesch" is funny to you? Can you tell me why you think the derogatory nickname you have come up with for numismatic pioneer Bert Harsche, and in burfle23's thread no less, is funny to you? I can cut a neophyte in numismatics such as yourself some slack as you try to find your niche in this forum. This forum has a lot to offer and there are a lot of great people, some are giants in numismatics, that you have the potential to rub shoulders with here. But I caution you to be careful of your associations. I'm confident you will connect the dots and all will be good for you in this forum. By all means have fun while trying to fit in here. I recommend that you check out forum member coinsarefun's threads if you haven't already done so. ;)

@mr1931S said:

@burfle23 said:
    This also prompted the post; I "won" this example to keep someone from getting burned. The listings was removed for rather obvious reasons but I thought this image would make someone a great avatar here...

Are you able to post jpegs of the five known 's' positions of 1931-S LC? I think folks here would really find such images useful.

I went to Daughtrey's site but could not find pictures of the five 's' positions for the key date 1931-S or I would post them here.

edited July 23, 2024 8:26AM

@mr1931S said:
    I went to Daughtrey's site but could not find pictures of the five 's' positions for the key date 1931-S or I would post them here.

But you are mr1931s why aren't you the one providing the photos?
    Do you become an expert by riding the coat tails of others?
    Someone should provide photos for you so you can prove to everyone what an expert you are?

Why don't you go to CoinFacts, Heratage, or ebay and find your own photos and do some of your own research?
    Maybe you could call your buddy Bert Farcesch and ask him for the photos. ;)

@mr1931S said:
    I can cut a neophyte in numismatics such as yourself some slack as you try to find your niche in this forum.
    By all means have fun while trying to fit in here.

@CRHer700 has done a much better job finding his niche and fitting in than you have. ;)

@burfle23 said:
    WOW, even blocked I get to see the master's comments through the posts of others B) ,,,

I just added him as my first ignored person.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 Does this mean you won't be sending him the full size JPEG's? :D

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@mr1931S said:

And I'd add it is difficult to accept advice by the same person who had to have their middle school history tests returned face- down.

FERPA. All tests must be returned with the grades hidden

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@braddick said:

@mr1931S said:

Not exactly. Courts have already ruled that students can even grade each other tests and quizzes. Of course, when you start getting into standardized tests, midterms, finals, etc…. the requirements are much more concrete.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2024 11:56AM

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@braddick said:

@mr1931S said:

Not exactly. Courts have already ruled that students can even grade each other tests and quizzes. Of course, when you start getting into standardized tests, midterms, finals, etc…. the requirements are much more concrete.

Peer review is a different issue. If it has an instructor grade, it is covered by FERPA. We can't even return exams in envelopes in a public area if the envelopes could be peeked in by another nosy student.

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Anyone interested in my full cheat sheet can message me for it.

Let Me Say Something!

Don't let me make it seem like I am defending what @mr1931S has done, but I would like to say that all of us have been unduly hard on him about his book by Harsch. I do howerver, think that he has gone straight over the edge with this stuff. Everything that I have said here was either trying to get people to stop fighting or to try to make a little fun out of the situation. Please do not think that I have any personal hard feelings against him personally, simply that this picking and fighting is wrong and should not have happened.
    Thank You

edited July 23, 2024 3:14PM

@burfle23 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Anyone interested in my full cheat sheet can message me for it.

I would like it if you can PM it to me. (in some sort of downloadable format if possible)

I thought this image would make someone a great avatar here...

A fresh, new avatar for you? Is that what you are hinting at? I say go for it.

@ifthevamzarockin said:

I don't need them. I might have them just can't find on my jampacked with pictures computer. Let's see. I come into this thread feeling invited to contribute some things, which I did, and then I get a committee secret agent follow me over here, make an obnoxious nickname for the name of the author of a historic, landmark book on counterfeit detection, a man who I highly respect for his contribution to numismatics and I'm supposed to "lighten up"?

Well, BS. Knowledge talks and BS walks. Any reader here with a half a brain can figure that out. Oh, one more thing. mr1931S hereby promises to stay completely out of** burfle23**'s threads from this day forward. Today is 7/23/24. Deal? Can we bury the hatchet?

@CRHer700 said:
    Don't let me make it seem like I am defending what @mr1931S has done, but I would like to say that all of us have been unduly hard on him

No one has been unduly hard on him, he has worked hard to earn every comment he has gotten. ;)

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I notice that no one went into mr1931s thread and trashed it. If people here were really picking on him, rather than responding to his nonsense, I would think his thread would have got some negative replies.

Also, (for the future readers) this thread was about 1931-S cent mintmark positions, of which there are five I believe.

This discussion has been closed.