Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is anyone else surprised this Questionable Toned Walker closed at $810.00?

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised, but even though there were 23-bids there were only four bidders total and only two of them above $199. They each must have really wanted it and one person's nuclear bid was more than the other.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they LOVE it, because they are buried in it. <3

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

No 👎

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick I added it to my watch list this morning when it was slightly over $200. I found the coin interesting but thought that was already too much. I'm quite surprised to see it go 4x from that point. Two people really liked it. I don't think it gets into a straight graded holder unless someone gets lucky. In that case, they might be able to recover their money.

What did you think of the coin?

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only takes 2 to Auction Tango.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    @braddick I added it to my watch list this morning when it was slightly over $200. I found the coin interesting but thought that was already too much. I'm quite surprised to see it go 4x from that point. Two people really liked it. I don't think it gets into a straight graded holder unless someone gets lucky. In that case, they might be able to recover their money.

What did you think of the coin?

Me too.
    My naive self thought it would close at $150. or so. I've been watching it all week.
    It went nuclear the last 40 minutes.

I personally don't like it much. The purple on the obverse is too thick to be authentic and it has the marks in the obverse field and on the devices so even at a straight grade I'd imagine no better than MS62.
    The splash of 'red' on the reverse is also too much.

If we ever see this one (we won't) in a regular holder- even with NGC it'll make me come close to swearing off these coins.

peacockcoins

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

definitely AT - definitely not a condition rarity either

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprised, no I'm sure it will end up in a straight graded PCGS holder for sale at twice that soon.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, not surprised. You simply never know what will happen when you deal with eBay.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe @chromaticcoins or @chromatic_coins (whichever is still active, I can't remember) will have something to say about this.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭

2 bidders who are not making sense in paying this much money for an enhanced coin. I understand better people paying very high for a desirable unaltered coin.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT or NT.
    Nice blend of delightfull random colors.
    Smooth.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t get it.
    But there’s a doctor somewhere that must be pleased with the results.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2024 6:21PM

Definitely AT but it has eye appeal to spare. Walkers with that kind of color are very rare. And yes, If submitted enough times, someone might get lucky and get it straight graded. It has a nice strike for a ‘43S, as well. That is my thought process regarding the bidders in this situation.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Definitely AT but it has eye appeal to spare. Walkers with that kind of color are very rare. And yes, If submitted enough times, someone might get lucky and get it straight graded. It has a nice strike for a ‘43S, as well. That is my thought process regarding the bidders in this situation.

I can’t see it ever getting slabbed, it clearly fiddled with.

This Kennedy made it into a regular holder, so I suppose there is hope for the above Walker.

peacockcoins

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably shill bidding.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:
    Probably shill bidding.

On the contrary, that was almost certainly not shill bidding.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CregCreg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

Millions of auctions—the odds that two innocents end up in a bidding spat exist—mix in some liquor and Xanax—not impossible.

It’s pretty for a toned coin, AT or not, but I channel Ricko when I get that temptation.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question I'd have is what's the chemical process that was used to create those colors?

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2024 5:31AM

Not surprised.

You never really know what they are going to bid up - especially if it’s rich collectors in a bid war.

Coins & Currency
  • AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    You'll see it later in an NGC66* slab for 3k.

It all depends on who sends it in.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Atcarroll said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

If you were the owner of the company would you make sure that some submitters got better treatment in the grading room than others just because of who they are? Would you overrule a finalizer and change a grade for certain submitters because of who they are?

theknowitalltroll;
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least the coin made it into PCGS plastic instead of being returned in a body bag.

theknowitalltroll;
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not even questionable color imo

Many happy BST transactions
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Atcarroll said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

If you were the owner of the company would you make sure that some submitters got better treatment in the grading room than others just because of who they are? Would you overrule a finalizer and change a grade for certain submitters because of who they are?

I wouldn’t but not everyone thinks the way I do.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin looks fine to me. I wouldn't pay $800 myself but it should get in a straight grade holder sooner or later. PCGS is way too tough on color for Walkers right now. Actually wildly inconsistent in general right now.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the right field below the branches there is a telltale accelerated toning spot.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Looks can be deceiving"....What happened to that old saw?
    Well, anyway, this coin is not for everybody's taste. AT is the name, trickery is the game...
    What I really can't stand especially are Morgans with this type of toning and the vigorous (& faulty) rationale behind owners declaring them as NT.
    A pet gripe, sorry not to derail OP...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 9:50AM

I do not find that type of toning (artificial or not) even remotely eye appealing. It looks like a film and has no depth to it. I would be very surprised in myself if I were to bid that kind of money, but another? No. There are a lot of collectors who find coins with a certain eye appeal that I do not understand.

• Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

Color looks ok to me. Just because it doesn't have that traditional monster rainbow toning you commonly associate with GEM+ walkers doesn't mean it is AT. It can sit somewhere weird and still tone it's just a game of market acceptability, and clearly people are accepting it.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

The real question is, would it have sold for more raw?

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

No matter, I find it just as ugly as can be. In my opinion it'll never be market acceptable, and I hope it never is.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% dog.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Take away the tone (which I believe to be natural) and it's an MS64 at best. The rather large obverse contact mark tells me there's other issues hidden beneath the color. That said, at the price paid they could have bought a straight grade MS66 based on recent auction sales. Which makes this a foolish premium paid for color.

@Ebeneezer said:
    Take away the tone (which I believe to be natural) and it's an MS64 at best. The rather large obverse contact mark tells me there's other issues hidden beneath the color. That said, at the price paid they could have bought a straight grade MS66 based on recent auction sales. Which makes this a foolish premium paid for color.

It is interesting to me you bring this up.
    Here is the Walker that graded in the same submission, right before the above half dollar did:

It closed at $250. less:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335473154653

peacockcoins

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick -- that's fascinating. The toning is actually of a similar palette, just a much lighter application.

Higashiyama
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin was purchased by somebody that will get that coin in a straight holder, id be willing too bet

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2024 3:16PM

This has been a very interesting thread. The coin looks AT to me, but a couple of forum members whom I think really know their stuff, feel differently.

@jdimmick said:
    That coin was purchased by somebody that will get that coin in a straight holder, id be willing too bet

Is that because of what you think of the coin or because of the price paid for it?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

"A better coin through chemistry" brings strong bid. Nothing surprises me in this frenzied market. Some people have more money than they know what to do with it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file